Official Gus on Twitter

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't get this.
You say baz and anyone involved with recruitment are to blame but then say our recruitment hasn't been bad. Which one is it?

Personally, I think the recruitment has been decent. It's the team selections, fitness and strategy & coaching that's been the issue.
A better coach would be getting more from our improved squad.
With the way Baz wants to play the recruitment just isn't there. Our spine is a complete mess, especially 7 and 13 (a part of the spine with how Baz plays). If we played like the Storm or Sharks (e.g.) Jackson at 13 would be fine (and Averillo as a half would be fine). Saying that, I think another coach (Shane Flanagan) would get a lot more out of what we have and we wouldn't be destined for the wooden spoon after round 7. I also despise Baz's team selections in general (e.g. Waddell, JMK, not giving the kids a proper go, playing favourites with duds, etc.). We shouldn't have had to wait until 2023 for a quality hooker, or to have 2/4 of a spine. I like the recruitment of JAC, TPJ and Burton as individuals (one completely out of form due to coach).

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Possibly but it could also be him saving his own ass to a degree because he has repeatedly provided such a strong endorsement for the coach. 1/7 is not crash hot to say the least.
It’s not the 1/7 more so the last 5 straight where we folded and blown our F&A out

Embarrassing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When are people going to learn not to dissect every tweet Gus makes? Take what he says on Twitter with a grain of salt. He posts things on there to say what needs to be said publicly but what he really thinks and the moves he makes behind the scenes will often be the complete opposite.

Just because he praises a mediocre player on Twitter doesn't mean he's not looking to replace them long term. Maybe he's just trying to hype them up to boost their value.. Gus is more calculated than people give him credit for. Don't take everything he tweets literally..

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I expect after round 10 we'll see Stuckey, Morrin, Toia, Cook, Hoffman and Topine all getting some game time in first grade.
While I do see that as a positive, it definitely sounds like even Gus has accepted this year is a write off and is planning ahead to next year.
If he’s accepted this year as a write off that would be a shame Roger because I believe we have a pretty good roster that can be competitive in most matches. It’s a shame because of one person Barrett and his coaching staff that so many fans and players have to put up with another year of miserable results.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK for lock. Tackles well and can pass ok well enough for what we’d want out of a lock.
Yep I thought that too but I don’t think his running game is up to it. Too small. The knights tried it with Kurt Mann but he had to bulk up a fair bit. It worked for the first 2 rounds but now they are getting steamrolled in the forwards.

For what it’s worth I agree with Gus. Based on prior years JMK is having a great year.

The last few years he has been 1 out of 10. This year I reckon he’s a 2 out of 10. So essentially his form is twice as good in 2022. Nice work from the coaching staff to get him to reach such great heights

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hahahahaha Hindmarsh said something similar on the matty johns show tonight if he wasn't releated to benji no one would talk about him he wouldn't make another nrl team his pass selection is so bad I can't wait for Reed next year to see the end of jmk in 1st grade
Did he really? That seems a bit harsh for Hindmarsh when his brother Ian was exactly the same? lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
When it all boils down to it....

It is what it is.

We are in Barrett's and Gould's hands. They are responsible for our successes and failures.

All we can do is hope for the best that things will turn around and improve.

I've given up on Baz.

I've given up on Gus improving Baz and/or the current playing roster and results in the short term.

We are set for yet another disappointing season with no real prospect of meaningful improvement bc neither of these guys, nor the players, appear to have the means to change outcomes.

Just sit back and try and celebrate any small improvement, or player brilliance, that may come our way this year and look forward to a hopefully good 2023 with Mahoney's arrival.

That's it at this stage.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK for lock. Tackles well and can pass ok well enough for what we’d want out of a lock.
I've been suggesting this for some time now.

He will eventually make a great 13 if not here then somewhere else.

At very least, a 14 who comes on at 13 similar to the effect Dylan Walker is having at Womanly.

Passing out of 1st receiver is a much different skill than passing off the ground out of dummy half.

JMK was originally a half manufactured into a 9.

As a half you receive the ball as first receiver anyway.

He stands taller than Cam Murray, Victor Radley and the Cheese, just needs to add some weight.

Last edited:

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've been suggesting this for some time now.

He will eventually make a great 13 if not here then somewhere else.

At very least, a 14 who comes on at 13 similar to the effect Dylan Walker is having at Womanly.

Passing out of 1st receiver is a much different skill than passing off the ground out of dummy half.

JMK was originally a half manufactured into a 9.

As a half you receive the ball as first receiver anyway.

He stands taller than Cam Murray, Victor Radley and the Cheese, just needs to add some weight.
I think his best position is left right out!!
He'd be really good there.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve read he is one of the quickest over 40 meters at the club
even if this is true he doesn’t have that ability to use that speed and break through any half chances, it’s like he is scared of the contact. Getting held up over the line over the weekend without a fight was an example of this.