Official Gus on Twitter

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He is a confidence player but gee we have asked so much of him.

In reality there was very little of what you could call a functioning football team out there in Bulldogs colours this year.

We can't expect miracles from such a player. He really should be much better for the trying experience he had this year and with Burton and some decent forwards making ground and protecting our playmakers next season.

I dont see him as a 7 tho. BBO or Wakeham.

He should be 14 or fullback in reserve grade bc we need him in the team somewhere. It may come down to either lose BBO or Avo if they are both vying for 7. Avo at 1 helps the club keep both.

He seems to suit FB. He is not a schemer or fast on his feet thinker for halfback. We are better served with BBO long term. I see Avo as a junior Teddy IF he is given every chance to develop.

But with Burton in the mix running the team now anything can happen.

Anyone of these players could hugely develop their game now with a better mindset, and players, around them now.

We have 4 guys vying for the one spot. Whoever works better with Burton will get 7 so we can be very happy with that.

Last edited:

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly I think we'll end up losing either Averillo or BBO in the coming years. Both will want starting spots that I don't think we can provide.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We have 4 guys vying for the one spot. Whoever works better with Burton will get 7 so we can be very happy with that.
Nailed it Wendy, the glass half empty posters will never be satisfied.

Always a Bulldog

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly I think we'll end up losing either Averillo or BBO in the coming years. Both will want starting spots that I don't think we can provide.
I'd keep BBO any day of the week can have him play in the halves or hooker and can defend.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL whats happening on one eyed eel this week
half of them are having kittens at the fact they've lost a player a week for the past month and the other half are continually saying that the players they've lost are shit anyway and that if paulo doesnt wanna be there then withdraw the offer. it's such a good read hahahahha

Malla

Reaction score
half of them are having kittens at the fact they've lost a player a week for the past month and the other half are continually saying that the players they've lost are shit anyway and that if paulo doesnt wanna be there then withdraw the offer. it's such a good read hahahahha
Hahahaha this is so good
I dont even care of Paulo comes dogs or not, I just want to see him leave Parra LOL but it would make it more sweet if he came to the Dogs hahaahah

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Just as long as Baz picks the best one and cuts out the favouritism he tends to go with to the detriment of the team :grinning:
I see this complaint a lot but to be honest I just have not seen any solid evidence of it. We can all play the keyboard coach and claim that Barrett is playing favourites but we only see maybe 80 minutes of each player per week on TV, whereas the coaching staff see around 2,500 minutes per week live and in person. I don't know about others but personally I don't think that I am in very strong position to judge selections based on a comparatively tiny sample.

Some may recall that there were plenty of complaints about Pay not selecting CHN and I riled against them based on what I knew about his disciplinary issues. Those complaints dried up as more evidence came to light confirming that his non selection was in fact warranted.

Always a Bulldog

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahaha this is so good
I dont even care of Paulo comes dogs or not, I just want to see him leave Parra LOL but it would make it more sweet if he came to the Dogs hahaahah
100% if he goes to dullfins or to us either way is fine with me. As long as he leaves Parra. The sentiment there is that Bald Arthur was re signed to bring stability in order to keep the current roster in tact and that players have since left for Barret, Brown, Madge and Bennett. The feeling is none of the current squad want to play under him anymore hence the mass exodus. 'If Paulo wanted to sign with the Eels he would have done so, pull the contract and let him go to Dogs where Ayoub wants him to go'

Malla

Reaction score
100% if he goes to dullfins or to us either way is fine with me. As long as he leaves Parra. The sentiment there is that Bald Arthur was re signed to bring stability in order to keep the current roster in tact and that players have since left for Barret, Brown, Madge and Bennett. The feeling is none of the current squad want to play under him anymore hence the mass exodus. 'If Paulo wanted to sign with the Eels he would have done so, pull the contract and let him go to Dogs where Ayoub wants him to go'
Hahahaha hey at least they got Gutho, Moses, RCG and Nathan Brown lol poor simpleton *****

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So true. Early on he didn't appear robust enough. Towards the back end of the season he seemed to push thru to a harder nosed level tho.

Maybe this was Baz' plan to protect him but players really should play reserve grade to learn new positions, even tho we were short of quality in the halves. Trent def has a high opinion of Avo. Season 2022 will tell on his future I guess. He could be a future star player no doubt if handled right.

This is another benefit of having our reserve grade together with first grade, at Belmore...better integration of players.
Yeah I agree, I thought his defense improved out of sight last year especially his one on one defence and he seemed to play "tougher" in defence

It was a big ask for him to lead that shit team around at halfback. He was in a no win situation and kudos to him for winning Tbaz's player of the year. But when he really shone is when he ran the ball. All the other halfback "traits" needed were limited

I really think he could be a top centre. He is a natural runner, he has the speed to carve up his opposite, he looks like he is bulking up nicely from the pre season photos and his defence has improved heaps since he played in the centres 2 years ago. I know some of his defensive reads were pretty poor at centre but he was a rookie playing amongst reserve grade standard players and it wasn't solely his fault we used to get ripped to shreds on the edges

Put him in a defensive line next to TPJ or Addo Carr and with more experience around him, I'm sure he would be a much more solid defensively

And attack wise, out wider he would have that bit of extra room to move and run with the ball which is his strength

Hopefully the coaching staff can sort out where to play him cause he has a heap of potential

I just have a feeling in a couple of years time we are going to have our best centre combination in years with young players like Alamoti, Schoupp and Averillo coming through

Exciting times ahead

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, I thought his defense improved out of sight last year especially his one on one defence and he seemed to play "tougher" in defence

It was a big ask for him to lead that shit team around at halfback. He was in a no win situation and kudos to him for winning Tbaz's player of the year. But when he really shone is when he ran the ball. All the other halfback "traits" needed were limited

I really think he could be a top centre. He is a natural runner, he has the speed to carve up his opposite, he looks like he is bulking up nicely from the pre season photos and his defence has improved heaps since he played in the centres 2 years ago. I know some of his defensive reads were pretty poor at centre but he was a rookie playing amongst reserve grade standard players and it wasn't solely his fault we used to get ripped to shreds on the edges

Put him in a defensive line next to TPJ or Addo Carr and with more experience around him, I'm sure he would be a much more solid defensively

And attack wise, out wider he would have that bit of extra room to move and run with the ball which is his strength

Hopefully the coaching staff can sort out where to play him cause he has a heap of potential

I just have a feeling in a couple of years time we are going to have our best centre combination in years with young players like Alamoti, Schoupp and Averillo coming through

Exciting times ahead
Averillo put in the best defensive effort against Kikau this year compared to every other half.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Exciting times ahead
You can only have 2 centres so who are you picking?
Alamoti,Schoupp,Averillo who is it going to be then?

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can only have 2 centres so who are you picking?
Alamoti,Schoupp,Averillo who is it going to be then?
I'd pick Alamoti and Averillo.

But if Averillo ends up in another position then Alamoti and Schoupp

What I was getting at is that out of those 3 players, whichever way the cards fall I think we will finally have another strong centre combination

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just as long as Baz picks the best one and cuts out the favouritism he tends to go with to the detriment of the team :grinning:
Baz will pick the best one. He always has. Last season he had to chop and change because of the
lack of ability of most of the players. The pre-season and trials will determine who plays where

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol so im guessing Baz is the experts of all our experts? Yet somehow he chopped and changed all year long. Yet you think the "experts" have already earmarked wakeham? And all of this in November no less. Ok mate.
Why so defensive bro!