Official Gus on Twitter

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If anyone believes that Gus is going to tell anyone the truth about our club, I have a bridge to sell you...
I was just reading thru his replies and as great as it is to be hearing from the club so directly that there's no way he'd be showing the full hand.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lucky to have Gus.

The way he thinks is very impressive. On the podcast the other day he was talking about how many players have come out of nrl and straight into a assistant coaching role. And how they lose the experience of how to develop a squad and bring them together, train them etc (pay was like this).

The apprenticeship of going from u16 to 18 to 20s to reserves (like Stuart, holebrook etc) is not happening as much because you can make 200k-300k being an assistant in nrl compared getting virtually nothing coaching u16 or development squads.

Very valid point. And like I said very lucky to have him. One of the best in the business and too bad he came in once our cap was exhausted. Doubt he pays big money for cotric or wastes cap space on Waddell and Stimpson if he was in charge.

We are a team full of 300k-600k players. Only problem is most would be players 20-30 on other rosters not top 17. Seems like we need a bit more patience to see the Phoenix rise again.
Gus is an influential footballing genius and a magnet to footballers, signing players would have naturally become a lot easier.
Since 2018 we've had
CEO Hill...He believed players aren't worth what they are on.
Chair Moore Anderson...She believed players should line up to sign for us and for less.
GMF Price...He was an Anderson puppet & too busy and not available to properly do his job.
NOW we have
Chairman John Khoury
CEO Aaron Warburton
GMF Phil Gould
Time will judge all...
In my opinion There is a BIG difference...What do you think ?

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How big is this bridge and what's the max weight it can take?
Having observed and interacted with Gus on Twitter for a decade, he's not a bald faced liar.

Ask him a direct question and he gives you an unequivocal direct answer = the truth as he believes it to be.

Ask him a direct or general question and he gives you a general answer = he's still not lying, but there may be more than he's telling you. A cliche example would be an answer beginning with "currently" or ending with "at this time", but there's more subtleties than that and it's up to you to pick them. And even if you do don't mean you'll interpret it correctly.

Ask him a question that he just doesn't answer could mean two things, either it's something he doesn't want to tell you or something he doesn't think is any of your business. Shouldn't be taken as confirmation of what you asked, though it might be, it just may be he considers it talking out of school and he wouldn't tell you anyway even if it meant nothing.

But he won't lie to your face, not the general fans, definitely not Dog fans. Don't mean he won't lie to Rothfield but that's because he's a prick.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Having observed and interacted with Gus on Twitter for a decade, he's not a bald faced liar.

Ask him a direct question and he gives you an unequivocal direct answer = the truth as he believes it to be.

Ask him a direct or general question and he gives you a general answer = he's still not lying, but there may be more than he's telling you. A cliche example would be an answer beginning with "currently" or ending with "at this time", but there's more subtleties than that and it's up to you to pick them. And even if you do don't mean you'll interpret it correctly.

Ask him a question that he just doesn't answer could mean two things, either it's something he doesn't want to tell you or something he doesn't think is any of your business. Shouldn't be taken as confirmation of what you asked, though it might be, it just may be he considers it talking out of school and he wouldn't tell you anyway even if it meant nothing.

But he won't lie to your face, not the general fans, definitely not Dog fans. Don't mean he won't lie to Rothfield but that's because he's a prick.
I like, especially the last part :tearsofjoy:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus is an influential footballing genius and a magnet to footballers, signing players would have naturally become a lot easier.
Since 2018 we've had
CEO Hill...He believed players aren't worth what they are on.
Chair Moore Anderson...She believed players should line up to sign for us and for less.
GMF Price...He was an Anderson puppet & too busy and not available to properly do his job.
NOW we have
Chairman John Khoury
CEO Aaron Warburton
GMF Phil Gould
Time will judge all...
In my opinion There is a BIG difference...What do you think ?
If Gould can’t get us on the right path then no one will :hearteyes:

You could always tell with the Anderson’s they thrived for media attention. They always put their interests before the club.

Fair enough Gus’s main role is a pathways program, not for 1-2 seasons of success but for 10-15 years of success. But he will have his hands in a lot of areas and we need it.

I am sure Flanagan, cotric, Waddell, katoa, stimpson, Elliot would have been reviewed more before being thrown money. At the end of the day you need to know the game and the players and the game plan. We looked like headless horsemen (even with Barrett) and we’d pick and choose players who in reality made no real sense. We got a marquee winger (fair enough previous board and coach) we played him at centre for a fortnight. Moved him to the wing and he ends the season with 3 try’s and injured for the last half of the season. $650k is a lot of money for 3 trys for a strike winger when your front row had no go forward, your hookers struggled to get the team on the front foot, your fullback was rotated between 3 players all season, none of whom would be full time starting fullbacks anywhere else. And you put 80mins a week into a player like Wardell who would have been a 18-20 squad member at any other team. Yet for us he was starting every game with his dumb errors and penalties.

We are already a better run club with Gus. But in reality the rebuild for 22-23 was done before he arrived unfortunately. So unless he works his magic and rearranged some pieces we are probably a 7-9 team for another year or 2 until we can get better forwards, a better spine and have some younger kids with big potential on team friendly contracts knocking on the door for a bench spot. Then I’ll be confident and excited for semi finals footy.

But I definitely agree Khoury, Gus and Warburton have mutual respect for one another and are doing their best to move us forward.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Gould can’t get us on the right path then no one will :hearteyes:

You could always tell with the Anderson’s they thrived for media attention. They always put their interests before the club.

Fair enough Gus’s main role is a pathways program, not for 1-2 seasons of success but for 10-15 years of success. But he will have his hands in a lot of areas and we need it.

I am sure Flanagan, cotric, Waddell, katoa, stimpson, Elliot would have been reviewed more before being thrown money. At the end of the day you need to know the game and the players and the game plan. We looked like headless horsemen (even with Barrett) and we’d pick and choose players who in reality made no real sense. We got a marquee winger (fair enough previous board and coach) we played him at centre for a fortnight. Moved him to the wing and he ends the season with 3 try’s and injured for the last half of the season. $650k is a lot of money for 3 trys for a strike winger when your front row had no go forward, your hookers struggled to get the team on the front foot, your fullback was rotated between 3 players all season, none of whom would be full time starting fullbacks anywhere else. And you put 80mins a week into a player like Wardell who would have been a 18-20 squad member at any other team. Yet for us he was starting every game with his dumb errors and penalties.

We are already a better run club with Gus. But in reality the rebuild for 22-23 was done before he arrived unfortunately. So unless he works his magic and rearranged some pieces we are probably a 7-9 team for another year or 2 until we can get better forwards, a better spine and have some younger kids with big potential on team friendly contracts knocking on the door for a bench spot. Then I’ll be confident and excited for semi finals footy.

But I definitely agree Khoury, Gus and Warburton have mutual respect for one another and are doing their best to move us forward.
The 3 are blessed with many great gifts, importantly we hope that their biggest gift is their loyalties to the club and not self interests !

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got cash to spla$h in 2022

No Elliott, No Lewis, No worries

Go get them Gus!

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How good is Gus! Love being told straight instead of all that bullshit we use to get from Raylene and then the Andersons
I hope one day Gus runs the Nrl - un-does all the ridiculous rule changes and enacts his vision for an international Nrl.