Official Gus on Twitter

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he’s been pretty good actually. Considering he came to us with 1 game of NRL experience iirc, and was known as only good for a short spell, I’ve been surprised at the impact he’s made. He’s had some games where he’s really lifted the team when he came on. Big tough runs and some good defence. Also got to factor a broken arm and now suspensions.

Yep, I’d be happy if we extended his contract. He’s already shown in a handful of games that with more experience he could be very good.
I agree he has something about him and I hope he does kick on. It’s a win-win situation for us though because as someone said up thread if he doesn’t pan out we just punt him. Ball is in his court.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he’s been pretty good actually. Considering he came to us with 1 game of NRL experience iirc, and was known as only good for a short spell, I’ve been surprised at the impact he’s made. He’s had some games where he’s really lifted the team when he came on. Big tough runs and some good defence. Also got to factor a broken arm and now suspensions.

Yep, I’d be happy if we extended his contract. He’s already shown in a handful of games that with more experience he could be very good.
Yeah for sure. Anyone bashing him just has an axe to grind for some unfounded reason.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From watching footy for years and seeing other players like him. Have you watched him in reserves when he was playing last year? He can do some nice highlight reels but going hard all game isn’t his thing.
Well not going hard at all is TPJ’s thing……I’ll take something over nothing, a month of hard cardio training will turn Pele into a machine at least he’s got a motor unlike TPJ.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Well not going hard at all is TPJ’s thing……I’ll take something over nothing, a month of hard cardio training will turn Pele into a machine at least he’s got a motor unlike TPJ.
TPJ showed motor early in his career but seems to think now he is on money that he has done what he needed to. Pele has never. Pele so far in his career has put in 5mins every stint he has. Those 2-3 hit ups that look good on tape don’t compare to his laziness in defence and effort. Gus will be shopping him mid next year for someone else to take a chance on him like we did.

I’d love to be wrong. But I’ve seen plenty in my years watching footy look exactly like him

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pele is the only middle we have that genuinely bends the line and runs with consistent aggression - hopefully we’ve wrapped him up longer term.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pele is the only middle we have that genuinely bends the line and runs with consistent aggression - hopefully we’ve wrapped him up longer term.
Yep, get him fit at the right price and he’ll give us more value for money than TPJ and Thompson combined.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Adding to this, Wiremu Greig may be a similar case to Pele. Joey Johns said last night that he didn’t think he could get throught the work like he has this season and Greig said it was from their s&c coach getting him to do extras.

I had the same view. I always saw Greig as unfulfilled potential, but what I’ve seen of him this season, he has been quite effective. Imo Pele has already shown improvement to his fitness and impact on a game. Give him another offseason and he could reach his potential.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPJ showed motor early in his career but seems to think now he is on money that he has done what he needed to. Pele has never. Pele so far in his career has put in 5mins every stint he has. Those 2-3 hit ups that look good on tape don’t compare to his laziness in defence and effort. Gus will be shopping him mid next year for someone else to take a chance on him like we did.

I’d love to be wrong. But I’ve seen plenty in my years watching footy look exactly like him
I reckon the crackdown on tough footy is part of T’s problem. His whole persona was the hard enforcer. His early days were really pushing the envelope with big hits, often pushing too far. He also only had these games once in a while, when he was really pumped up. Now the rules make any big shots very risky, I think he is a bit lost. He was really good in his first game this season, but has been a bit average since.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Someone remind Gus, we are last, and wtf have you done to make it any better. Put your big boy pants on and do something. We're a team of overpaid smucks, our recruitment is awful, young ones at tigers look far superior than our top paid players.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah for sure. Anyone bashing him just has an axe to grind for some unfounded reason.
I don’t have an axe to grind and really like him BUT it’s not 1992 and he needs to lose weight and get fitter to play consistent NRL