Official Gus on Twitter

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Yeah obviously don't want him hurt but he is always hurt and gets hurt in the couple of games he actually plays in a year.

Don't want him re-signed unless it minimum wage. We have wasted too much money on him already.
I'm sure at 350-400K it's a good payday for someone who has played like he has for a while. Maybe 2 years to redeem himself at that market value?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think I'm in the minority here, but I want him back asap. Want to get something for the money we're paying him and get some momentum before the rest of the injured troops come back
I absolutely want him back. Just saying 16 weeks out of the season isn’t fast healing.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely want him back. Just saying 16 weeks out of the season isn’t fast healing.
Isn't it all relative to the type of injury though? Length of time means nothing without context. In saying that, I know sweet fuck all about his injury and the usual recovery time haha

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Isn't it all relative to the type of injury though? Length of time means nothing without context. In saying that, I know sweet fuck all about his injury and the usual recovery time haha
Agreed though again. Regardless it’s safe to say with his contract now what 3 years in? Hardly been an “iron man” for us. More like a lemon car sale.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lisfranc Fracture.

Really good article here detailing why it's such a problematic injury with a long turnaround/recovery.

From everything I've read it seems they tried to tried it without surgery, before realising that surgery was the only option. From surgery generally up to a year to get back after rehab, etc etc.

It's a bastard of a sports injury, because its a mid foot fracture.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
[
Ok, thanks for your knowledge bomb!
there are enough people here who believe we can turn pele into something good. I’m not one of those. He really is just a hope he gets it. If not gone mid year next year to the next club who thinks they can get the best out of him. The best part about Gus is his ability to offload players and change that roster.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thommo's had a dog of a time since coming here and most of it's been out of his control. He seems like a great bloke to me and I like that he's done very little media, but never whinged or been defensive at all when he did, even though he's copped a lot of criticism.

Unfortunately the footy evidence is that in NRL he's an average mid-range forward ($400 - $450k?) who doesn't change games and struggles to get on the field. We can't re-sign him except in that lower range maybe, but I expect there'll be a club willing to pay more. Thanks mate, there's no hate, but it just didn't work out.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
[

there are enough people here who believe we can turn pele into something good. I’m not one of those. He really is just a hope he gets it. If not gone mid year next year to the next club who thinks they can get the best out of him. The best part about Gus is his ability to offload players and change that roster.
He has barely played any footy this year, and theres more then half a season to go. What makes you think he cant improve his fitness and become a solid bench weapon? What inside knowledge do you have?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
He has barely played any footy this year, and theres more then half a season to go. What makes you think he cant improve his fitness and become a solid bench weapon? What inside knowledge do you have?
From watching footy for years and seeing other players like him. Have you watched him in reserves when he was playing last year? He can do some nice highlight reels but going hard all game isn’t his thing.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From watching footy for years and seeing other players like him. Have you watched him in reserves when he was playing last year? He can do some nice highlight reels but going hard all game isn’t his thing.
What he did last year has nothing to do with what he does this year. This can be said for seasoned veterans as well. He doesnt need to go hard all game, he just needs to do his job and slowly increase his minutes, which is what he is doing.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lisfranc Fracture.

Really good article here detailing why it's such a problematic injury with a long turnaround/recovery.

From everything I've read it seems they tried to tried it without surgery, before realising that surgery was the only option. From surgery generally up to a year to get back after rehab, etc etc.

It's a bastard of a sports injury, because its a mid foot fracture.
RFM must be made of plastic then, since he was out for ages with the same type of injury.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he did last year has nothing to do with what he does this year. This can be said for seasoned veterans as well. He doesnt need to go hard all game, he just needs to do his job and slowly increase his minutes, which is what he is doing.
I think he’s been pretty good actually. Considering he came to us with 1 game of NRL experience iirc, and was known as only good for a short spell, I’ve been surprised at the impact he’s made. He’s had some games where he’s really lifted the team when he came on. Big tough runs and some good defence. Also got to factor a broken arm and now suspensions.

Yep, I’d be happy if we extended his contract. He’s already shown in a handful of games that with more experience he could be very good.