Official Gus on Twitter

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Listened to 6 tackles with Gus, no massive nuggets of info - but sharing the key points:
  • He signed Ciraldo as a player back in 2012 just to bring some professionalism to the Panthers - show the younger players how to train hard, train smart, look after your body.
  • Gus met him halfway (he was in Newcastle, Gus Sydney) and Gosford Maccas because he only knew that and the race track
  • He then offered him the role and what he wanted from him in the team. Ciraldo said I accept then turned to leave before Gus discussed $
  • He said he didn't care about the $
  • Then when he was transitioning into coaching, he was doing heaps of little things like going to Patrician Brothers school to watch their training, then helped their coaches with their programs. Not because it was his job, but because he understood the value in the schools/ local community running well will eventually feed into the Panthers programs
  • So he has a great handle on juniors/ reserve grade etc
  • And that people need to stop calling him a rookie coach because he's got everything it takes to walk into any job and nail it
  • Gus gave him a 5 year deal because he knows year 1 and 2 might not be as good as you think, but he will be able to enjoy the fruits of years 3-5
I don't know if I have 2 more years of a rebuild in me

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Listened to 6 tackles with Gus, no massive nuggets of info - but sharing the key points:
  • He signed Ciraldo as a player back in 2012 just to bring some professionalism to the Panthers - show the younger players how to train hard, train smart, look after your body.
  • Gus met him halfway (he was in Newcastle, Gus Sydney) and Gosford Maccas because he only knew that and the race track
  • He then offered him the role and what he wanted from him in the team. Ciraldo said I accept then turned to leave before Gus discussed $
  • Then when he was transitioning into coaching, he was doing heaps of little things like going to Patrician Brothers school to watch their training, then helped their coaches with their programs. Not because it was his job, but because he understood the value in the schools/ local community running well will eventually feed into the Panthers programs
  • And that people need to stop calling him a rookie coach because he's got everything it takes to walk into any job and nail it
  • Gus gave him a 5 year deal because he knows year 1 and 2 might not be as good as you think, but he will be able to enjoy the fruits of years 3-5
Thanks for the summary. Lets keep in mind that if we nail a few more recruits, then theres every chance he will hit the ground running.

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
holy fuck it’s been 1-2 years that we’ll be good for that past 4 years now im over it

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Thanks for the summary. Lets keep in mind that if we nail a few more recruits, then theres every chance he will hit the ground running.
I have no doubt that we will be pushing for a too 8 spot next year. And depending on recruitment for 24 we could be pushing for top 4 if his game plan works.

What I do like is that he is the defensive coach and the panthers structures are awesome.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have no doubt that we will be pushing for a too 8 spot next year. And depending on recruitment for 24 we could be pushing for top 4 if his game plan works.

What I do like is that he is the defensive coach and the panthers structures are awesome.
Surely he will have that aspect of our game sorted come next season. If so, we will be a contender!

Malla

Reaction score
Good listen

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
by 24 we’ll have a gun team with no deadwood and be top 4. 23 we’ll be fighting for the 8. the light at the end of the tunnel is well and truely here. ive never been more excited as a dogs fan

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Risk of disappointment if expecting top 8 in 2023 = very high.
surely not. the teams bottom of the 8 and fighting for a spot are weaker next year than this year. parra has lost ipap, reed etc, manly have no hooker in fainu, no foran and have saab out for 9 months on top of a fragile turbo, melbourne lose half their forward pack, penriff lose kikau, api, a bucketload of juniors and potentially crichton, plus we’ve got a stronger team than st merge, canberra, knights. on top of that tigers, warriors, titans and dolphins won’t make it. i can see us making the 8 - albeit 7th or 8th. at a guess id say penrith, cronulla, cowboys, brisbane, roosters, south’s are the only certainty’s for the 8. that leaves 2 spots free

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
surely not. the teams bottom of the 8 and fighting for a spot are weaker next year than this year. parra has lost ipap, reed etc, manly have no hooker in fainu, no foran and have saab out for 9 months on top of a fragile turbo, melbourne lose half their forward pack, penriff lose kikau, api, a bucketload of juniors and potentially crichton, plus we’ve got a stronger team than st merge, canberra, knights. on top of that tigers, warriors, titans won’t make it. i can see us making the 8 - albeit 7th or 8th. at a guess id say penrith, cronulla, cowboys, brisbane, roosters, south’s are the only certainty’s for the 8. that leaves 2 spots free
There is no reason not to hope, but without a decent prop signing and probably also an experienced half or fb than actual expectations seem a bit foolish. It does seem reasonable to expect that we have a better season than this year, but there is a big gap between our performance this season and making the 8 next season. I'll be ok so long as this seasons disaster is not repeated. I want us back at the top for good. The Titans made the 8 last season, where are they now?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good summary thanks also.

Yep I think so too, we should be winning as a minimum 50% of our games from the start(if not a little better)and building as he puts his stamp on the club.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Risk of disappointment if expecting top 8 in 2023 = very high.
Yeah it’s a new coach with a new structure and some new players in what is still a very young team. But in saying that though with the squad we have we’d have to go close.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks for the summary mate.

Gus must be a master negotiator. Identified that the rookie coach Ciraldo didn’t care about money, but proceeds to offer him 800k/year?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the summary mate.

Gus must be a master negotiator. Identified that the rookie coach Ciraldo didn’t care about money, but proceeds to offer him 800k/year?
Talking about when he was a player he agreed without knowing the contract value. Assuming the story is true