Official Gus on Twitter

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not visiting till next week I think so some time till then. Hope you can give us a report :grinning:

I guess now the thinking is "I hope you get it but only a mild case" rather than "hope you don't get it".

Seems that now we've given up trying to slow the spread. How's Armidale going for cases? Our town hit hard now. Many businesses closed or reduced opening hours and people aren't out and about now that most of the tourists have left.

All the best with it.
Last I heard Armidale was at something like 500 cases. That was a week or so back so probably more cases now.

Still a worrying prospect if I had it yesterday. I told them when I got to work I had the sore throat before doing the daily RAT test. Told the nurse doing the RAT tests I think I shouldn't be going into the nursing home with any symptoms. But they still wanted me to work after the RAT test came back negative. But I still don't want to pass on a throat infection to the residents. I still cooked and served breakfast in full ppe (plastic surgical coat, heavy duty mask glasses and gloves) felt like crap by the end of breakfast service and went to the office and asked to be replaced. Even here at home I'm masking up outside my room as my housemate is immuno compromised and visits his parents every day (89 and 96 yo's). So after that longer than I was planning story, I hope I don't have it for the sake of my household.

If I'm negative I'll try to get to Tamworth (provided there's an open training session) to give a report.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Last I heard Armidale was at something like 500 cases. That was a week or so back so probably more cases now.

Still a worrying prospect if I had it yesterday. I told them when I got to work I had the sore throat before doing the daily RAT test. Told the nurse doing the RAT tests I think I shouldn't be going into the nursing home with any symptoms. But they still wanted me to work after the RAT test came back negative. But I still don't want to pass on a throat infection to the residents. I still cooked and served breakfast in full ppe (plastic surgical coat, heavy duty mask glasses and gloves) felt like crap by the end of breakfast service and went to the office and asked to be replaced. Even here at home I'm masking up outside my room as my housemate is immuno compromised and visits his parents every day (89 and 96 yo's). So after that longer than I was planning story, I hope I don't have it for the sake of my household.

If I'm negative I'll try to get to Tamworth (provided there's an open training session) to give a report.
I really think being around nursing homes that it gives you a different perspective on the full ramifications of uncontrolled spread. Poor buggers isolated in small rooms. No family visits. Poor end to the last phase of your life, when most of these older folk have defended the country and also been the mainstays of our way of life and so stoic and hardworking :(

At least you know you've done your very best and been very upfront and careful with other people's health mate. Done all you could and followed the workplace rules and home guidelines.

No pressure with the report lol. But if you're well, it could be a great present to yourself to see the guys in training :grinning:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really think being around nursing homes that it gives you a different perspective on the full ramifications of uncontrolled spread. Poor buggers isolated in small rooms. No family visits. Poor end to the last phase of your life, when most of these older folk have defended the country and also been the mainstays of our way of life and so stoic and hardworking :(

At least you know you've done your very best and been very upfront and careful with other people's health mate. Done all you could and followed the workplace rules and home guidelines.

No pressure with the report lol. But if you're well, it could be a great present to yourself to see the guys in training :grinning:
At the moment the residents are allowed a single visitor for an hour a day at the branch of the nursing home I'm at. The other branch is not allowing visiting because they've had 2 staff test positive and they're under stricter lockdown. But yeah, it's very hard on them because I think a lot of family members are scared they'll bring in Covid and this stay away. Even before visits reduced a lot of the residents felt a bit abandoned. Still makes me pretty angry when I see people downplaying how serious Covid is.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
At the moment the residents are allowed a single visitor for an hour a day at the branch of the nursing home I'm at. The other branch is not allowing visiting because they've had 2 staff test positive and they're under stricter lockdown. But yeah, it's very hard on them because I think a lot of family members are scared they'll bring in Covid and this stay away. Even before visits reduced a lot of the residents felt a bit abandoned. Still makes me pretty angry when I see people downplaying how serious Covid is.
I understand how you feel mate. There's a few who don't realise but most Aussies do value the elderly and want them to be factored into how C19 is handled. Very sad for the older folk in C19 times in particular, but hey we all get old sooner or later and they too will be classified, marginalised and made to feel like collateral damage and dismissed as a burden by the selfish and Govt.

It never used to be like that years ago but as society "advances" well that's just how it is nowdays.

So glad to hear that some can still have visitors. Our aged care home, even before Covid, I'd say up to 50% of resi's didnt get any visitors ever. Really sad. Now there's no volunteers, visitors and staff very stressed and low morale.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in isolation until I get a result back from a PCR test yesterday. Had a sore throat so work made me do the PCR before I can go back. Going to get a result texted through today, but not looking like I'll get down there to watch.

Edit- having read that a second time I might try and get down if they're in Tamworth for a week.
I waited 17 days for my result, wifey got hers in 4! Good luck alan

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
At the moment the residents are allowed a single visitor for an hour a day at the branch of the nursing home I'm at.
You don’t happen to work at Autumn Lodge do you Al? My grandmother spend her final days there (though she died many years ago) and it was a really good facility - well run (at least back then) and she was happy and comfortable living out her days there. Just wondering if it’s a small world thing, but I’m sure Armidale has a few aged care homes so maybe not.