Gus on Six Tackles with Gus regarding Bulldogs recruitment and development

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grant was a massive miss. Maybe the board/recruitment team were scared of a Lichaa v2. Grant would of been just as good as Knights signing Ponga back in 2018.
Croft isn't a game manager/organiser. He's naturally a running half. Also looks like he struggles under pressure (we're under a lot of pressure in games). Not so worried about missing out on Croft.
We would of had to offer significantly more than the Cowboys for Holmes. I think he's already shown enough to suggest he can get back to where he was before leaving the NRL.
Katoa minimum wage back up/depth player. We missed out on Koroisau (all of our eggs in one basket and it didn't come off).
There are cases I'd be okay about paying overs and it is for spine players. Pay your minimums for props, pay over the odds for your spine. Look I question their cap but that's exactly the model the Roosters have used.

Talking of the Roosters we should be in Lacklan Lam's ear big time. Also Burton for Penrith. I'd be more than happy to go overs with Burton.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You do know that we have had negotiations with Grant for 2 years, still ongoing BTW.
Croft was advised (told) by Cronk to go to the Donkeys, plus he was always going back home to Brisbane, there was never a chance signing with us, not that I would want him anyway.
Holmes was always going home to North Queensland, the Sharks threw the house at him and he turned them down, despite owing them for releasing him.

We had no space for Holmes, didn't want Croft and Grant is a WIP.

Go Dogs
Sharks did not throw jack shit at him. They signed Johnson on the money they freed up when releasing Holmes. They are just dirty at him for returning.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do know that we have had negotiations with Grant for 2 years, still ongoing BTW.
Croft was advised (told) by Cronk to go to the Donkeys, plus he was always going back home to Brisbane, there was never a chance signing with us, not that I would want him anyway.
Holmes was always going home to North Queensland, the Sharks threw the house at him and he turned them down, despite owing them for releasing him.

We had no space for Holmes, didn't want Croft and Grant is a WIP.

Go Dogs
Why did we have no space...wouldn't be the silly buying of Reserve props like Napa would it...oh strike me pink it is.

Negotiations are useless, should have just asked Grant what he wants, and sign him, instead we didn't want to cough up an extra 50-100k...and what's happened we are left with a spud in JMK and Katoa who we won't play.

Not saying Croft is a worldbeater never did.

My point is there were options and yet we sill went after props, as good as Thompson is, he's another prop...we literally have half our salary cap on props!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

What we spent on Katao, a back up hooker for the back up hooker, would get lost in the rounding on Holmes contract.

We had no Cap space for Holmes, didn't want Croft and Grant is a WIP.

Go Dogs
That just proves that they can't seal a deal. Now Grant will cost more than double what he would have last season... If he's even going to be available..

Poor decisions like this and an inability to seal the deal when the opportunity arises doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That just proves that they can't seal a deal. Now Grant will cost more than double what he would have last season... If he's even going to be available..

Poor decisions like this and an inability to seal the deal when the opportunity arises doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Yep, paying massive overs for Jackson and Napa yet not willing to pay slight overs for a 9 beggars belief. IF were even after Burton we probably wont be willing to pay overs and thus miss out on him but we'll probably splurge on Tolman, Elliot and Foran>:(

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If we even have a chance at Grant which I don't think we do. As I understand it, he can only activate the get out clause if Cam plays on. If he doesn't, then the Storm have him for another 1-2 years. You'd think he would prefer to live in Sydney, over that shithole they call Melbourne, but still it might not be up to him. WTF were they thinking?

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we even have a chance at Grant which I don't think we do. As I understand it, he can only activate the get out clause if Cam plays on. If he doesn't, then the Storm have him for another 1-2 years. You'd think he would prefer to live in Sydney, over that shithole they call Melbourne, but still it might not be up to him. WTF were they thinking?
Melbourne's actually way more liveable than sydney (pre covid)

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I saw high highlights and while he's only a little fella, he looks quick which means he would suit the current game. Didn't know he was a rep player which makes this even more worrying
Sorry for the stupid question, but how does it work exactly in this situation. Would the club be aware he has a huge offer from Canberra or are they are in the dark? Surely he would have told the club as I assume he's a local junior and want to stay
Apart from Grey there doesn't seem to be anybody else in SG Ball, Flegg, CC or NRL that would be classed as a good hooker so WTF are they doing?
He’s been in the junior bulldog system since he was 11 years old
Played nsw under 18s for the last 2 years and was a standout
I honestly couldn’t tell u why
I believe they are slow and incompetent
Couldn’t spot talent if it pissed on their faces

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's pretty fucking annoying... Especially considering they took Starling off Knights and haven't even really gave the boy a chance... Do we look like we will come to the table and match the offer ?
Sorry mike I don’t know
Spoke to the father on tues night and he was shattered
They’re actual bulldog fans the entire family
Maybe they have a hooker lined up or signed
But I doubt it

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry mike I don’t know
But I doubt it
Even if we do have a hooker, surely he can be a backup. He cant be that friggin bad if he's a rep player (yes I know Lichaa was too but unlike Lichaa this guy has SPEED). For a club that is obsessed with bad hookers, why do we keep letting the good ones go or not signing them? Even if by some miracle we signed Grant, surely you would keep him as a backup
Maybe he needs to let the club know and wait for their counteroffer. Being a local junior, and a Bulldogs fan, he would probably stay for less

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The only place they can go buy the players is from other clubs. Which is going to weaken them and it's going to weaken themselves in the long run because they're going to have to pay more to do it (overs).

If you're solely based on recruitment, you will eventually end up in salary cap problems.

I find this statement funny as fuck because of a few reasons...

1. He is applying this theory to the Bulldogs which have a fairly decent juniors development base, however, he hasn’t thought about what he’s saying before he said it because if he did he would know that this statement applies to the Roosters more than any other side.

2. The Roosters have an almost non existant junior base so in actual fact the Roosters depend solely based on recruitment!

3. Knowing this, does this weaken their roster and give them salary cap problems?

Answer: No, they won two consecutive premierships solely because of salary cap rorting plain and simple.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sorry mike I don’t know
But I doubt it
Man that sucks... Maybe if they make some noise. Sucks when you hear all this talk about having to let players go and build our juniors... Doesnt work when you let them go

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we get over the Grant hype train?

He's done fuck all at this stage. Playing a few good games is like Lichaa playing a few good games while off contract. Means fuck all.

Besides even if he is the real deal, you think the storm will allow anyone to take him from them? Hah! You're dreaming! They'll sell whomever to keep him.

So let's focus on other options. And build rumours on those.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only place they can go buy the players is from other clubs. Which is going to weaken them and it's going to weaken themselves in the long run because they're going to have to pay more to do it (overs).

If you're solely based on recruitment, you will eventually end up in salary cap problems.

I find this statement funny as fuck because of a few reasons...

1. He is applying this theory to the Bulldogs which have a fairly decent juniors development base, however, he hasn’t thought about what he’s saying before he said it because if he did he would know that this statement applies to the Roosters more than any other side.

2. The Roosters have an almost non existant junior base so in actual fact the Roosters depend solely based on recruitment!

3. Knowing this, does this weaken their roster and give them salary cap problems?

Answer: No, they won two consecutive premierships solely because of salary cap rorting plain and simple.
I hate the roosters but Cordner, Friend, Radley, Manu, Verrills, Tupouniua are all juniors. JWH came early in his career, Keary and Flanagan bought on potential...there probs heaps more. they are smart ad forward thinking.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He's done fuck all at this stage. Playing a few good games is like Lichaa playing a few good games while off contract. Means fuck all.

Besides even if he is the real deal, you think the storm will allow anyone to take him from them? Hah! You're dreaming! They'll sell whomever to keep him.

Grants good games have him in the convo for origin. Lichaas is nothing in comparison.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

They're nothing alike. Grant has done and shown more in 7 games than Lichaa did his whole career... He's a top 5 calibre hooker long term whereas Lichaa was a Reserve Grader who somehow managed to play nearly 200 games.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not as much as you think.

Not as much as Tedesco, Keary, etc
Hmm.. JWH at 31...is he off contract for 2021?
Not that we need another forward, but at the right price for 2 years to exploit his experience and mongrel could be a valuable addition.

Roosters would be happy to offload him anyway as they don't need him but he would be handy for us.