News Gus has been tough on me’: Dogs’ honesty session after Gould spray (SMH)

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched Freddy and the eighth on YouTube and Freddie and Joey's take on how Gus handled this week's team talk is spot on.

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The way we have been playing I’m more inclined to think the image is of the boys having a bukkake session. No wonder JMK has such poor vision, he is likely caked in man fat.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury players were spotted in a huddle holding an honesty session at the end of training after general manager Phil Gould delivered some blunt home truths on Tuesday.
As Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett made it clear on Thursday there were no issues with Gould coming in and running part of the field session this week, the players took it upon themselves to do their own soul-searching - without the coach and football manager.

The Herald watched several players stand in the rain and take turns addressing the group at one end of the field. Barrett and Gould were nowhere to be seen.
“We’re just trying to stick together through these tough times,” barnstorming back-rower Tevita Pangai jnr told the Herald when asked about the optics.

“We spoke as a group about what we can do. We had little defensive lapses [against Brisbane] we need to address. We need to be better.
“Gus has been tough on me. He wants more out of us leadership players.

“He’s been observing a lot of my game. I need to be better. We all need to be better.
“He wants [improvement] in the little effort areas in attack and defence, we need to be winning without the footy, just those off-the-ball efforts.

“When you see Penrith, they’re so good with their movement off the ball and their movement in defence. Their middles are always pressuring halves, which then gives the edges an easy [defensive] decision.
“That’s what winning clubs do. That’s what we’re building towards.
Canterbury players hold an honesty session on Tuesday.

“Gus does get [cranky]. But if I’m doing my job, hopefully those one-on-one chats don’t have to happen.”
Barrett has won just four games from his 31 in charge at the Dogs, and is not expected to add to that tally against the Sydney Roosters on Saturday.

Gould reportedly launched into a few players, including Kyle Flanagan, during a video session on Tuesday. He later ran part of the field session.
Some Bulldogs fans must have been wondering if Gould’s hands-on approach was the first sign of him undermining the under-pressure Barrett. Panthers supporters would have also cast their minds back to Gould doing something similar before Ivan Cleary left the first time around, followed by his successor Anthony Griffin.

A frustrated Gould was surprised by the attention and told Wide World Of Sports late Wednesday: “They were a bit sluggish to start the week and I said to Trent they needed a liven-up. He threw me his whistle. I was wearing jeans. It was a bit of fun and something different for the players. Not sure that my 1980s approach will change the world, but it was fun.
“I would do anything Trent asked me to do.”

Barrett on Thursday said the players knew exactly who was coach, and asked “why wouldn’t I use the resource of Phil Gould at the club?’.

“He is the GM of football and a very good premiership-winning coach,” Barrett said.
“The boys know who the coach is,” Barrett said.
“Gus doesn’t interfere with any tactical things. He will give an opinion and give an opinion to me. That’s his job.

“If I think a different voice can help the team at a certain stage, why wouldn’t I? I’d be silly not to.
“I have someone like [former All Blacks coach] Steve Hansen here who will be back from Japan in a few months. He’s a resource we have and I’m going to use him.”
My God what is Trent Barrett doing

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury players were spotted in a huddle holding an honesty session at the end of training after general manager Phil Gould delivered some blunt home truths on Tuesday.
As Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett made it clear on Thursday there were no issues with Gould coming in and running part of the field session this week, the players took it upon themselves to do their own soul-searching - without the coach and football manager.

The Herald watched several players stand in the rain and take turns addressing the group at one end of the field. Barrett and Gould were nowhere to be seen.
“We’re just trying to stick together through these tough times,” barnstorming back-rower Tevita Pangai jnr told the Herald when asked about the optics.

“We spoke as a group about what we can do. We had little defensive lapses [against Brisbane] we need to address. We need to be better.
“Gus has been tough on me. He wants more out of us leadership players.

“He’s been observing a lot of my game. I need to be better. We all need to be better.
“He wants [improvement] in the little effort areas in attack and defence, we need to be winning without the footy, just those off-the-ball efforts.

“When you see Penrith, they’re so good with their movement off the ball and their movement in defence. Their middles are always pressuring halves, which then gives the edges an easy [defensive] decision.
“That’s what winning clubs do. That’s what we’re building towards.

“Gus does get [cranky]. But if I’m doing my job, hopefully those one-on-one chats don’t have to happen.”
Barrett has won just four games from his 31 in charge at the Dogs, and is not expected to add to that tally against the Sydney Roosters on Saturday.

Gould reportedly launched into a few players, including Kyle Flanagan, during a video session on Tuesday. He later ran part of the field session.
Some Bulldogs fans must have been wondering if Gould’s hands-on approach was the first sign of him undermining the under-pressure Barrett. Panthers supporters would have also cast their minds back to Gould doing something similar before Ivan Cleary left the first time around, followed by his successor Anthony Griffin.

A frustrated Gould was surprised by the attention and told Wide World Of Sports late Wednesday: “They were a bit sluggish to start the week and I said to Trent they needed a liven-up. He threw me his whistle. I was wearing jeans. It was a bit of fun and something different for the players. Not sure that my 1980s approach will change the world, but it was fun.
“I would do anything Trent asked me to do.”

Barrett on Thursday said the players knew exactly who was coach, and asked “why wouldn’t I use the resource of Phil Gould at the club?’.

“He is the GM of football and a very good premiership-winning coach,” Barrett said.
“The boys know who the coach is,” Barrett said.
“Gus doesn’t interfere with any tactical things. He will give an opinion and give an opinion to me. That’s his job.

“If I think a different voice can help the team at a certain stage, why wouldn’t I? I’d be silly not to.
“I have someone like [former All Blacks coach] Steve Hansen here who will be back from Japan in a few months. He’s a resource we have and I’m going to use him.”
Trent has more resources available than most coaches and still we look like a ship without it's captain.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that mean the other meetings were dishonesty sessions? Seriously……

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see a bunch of very naughty boys having to stand in the rain for 10 minutes before being allowed to take a hot shower. The last 5 years we've heard repeatedly about honesty sessions and what we are going to do differently this week. I personally have no problem with the Football Director taking the team through a video session and a field session. Bellamy would do the same as Gus when he's a Football Director.
If the players respect Barrett and his coaching style and nous, then they will put in this week. Actions speak louder than words.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the agreement we have with Hansen was not a 40 hour a week contract. His involvement with the Dogs is not like Gus. And as far as cutting him loose... what purpose would that serve. Having him as a sounding board for Baz is not why our season has sucked.
because it’s a waste of money? the blokes off doing something else, not focusing on our club. why would we pay him anything?

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did jmk cop a pasting.. he’s the one that needs it the most fuck
All the so called experts keep going on about how good JMK is going this season. Maybe all our eyes are deceiving us coz you know, they are the experts