News Gus goes in-depth on coaching saga: Six Tackles with Gus

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I know that seems to be popular opinion, but I think its crazy. We are only 10 rounds into another failed season with new players and more to come. We cannot afford another spoon and with absolutely minimum pressure this season could be about building towards 23 and getting to know whos who in zoo.

Surley getting stuck in now and making the most of what we have to string some wins together and build some confidence makes more sense than writing off another year in mid May for fucks sake...
I’d suggest it’s two-fold:

- The board know how critical the next appointment is and hence won’t rush. It’s not just the head coach but his staff and the entire structure. After Pay and Barrett this cannot be stuffed up once again.

- The bloodletting might not be over. Why expose a new coach to anything until the natives are settled?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould's more recent comments about another 18 months of difficulties whilst true to an extent i believe is also about "under promise over deliver" which if it happens creates optimism and a more positive mindset.

Im optimistic about 2023 particularly if players who are underperforming and over paid are moved on - gives the new coach some opportunity to buy quality.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I know that seems to be popular opinion, but I think its crazy. We are only 10 rounds into another failed season with new players and more to come. We cannot afford another spoon and with absolutely minimum pressure this season could be about building towards 23 and getting to know whos who in zoo.

Surley getting stuck in now and making the most of what we have to string some wins together and build some confidence makes more sense than writing off another year in mid May for fucks sake...
You're not alone, my guess is that they have done it because it's easier to right off the season and have no expectations.

Season can definitely be salvaged to avoid the spoon but the club doesn't want to give fans and the media a reason to winge if we end up last again.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear Schoupp is on the outer, shit trainer and a gronk off the field
Interesting when he mentioned Naden leaving he called out Kiraz and Alomati as depth but did not mention Schoupp
See what happens
No way , wtf

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No way , wtf
Schoupp's already established himself as a NRL players which is probably why he wasn't mentioned. I think all 3 of them will be in our backline.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schoupp's already established himself as a NRL players which is probably why he wasn't mentioned. I think all 3 of them will be in our backline.
I’ll be disappointed if Shoupp isn’t one of our long term centres. Safest one defensively we have, has good chemistry with JAC so far and he bleeds blue and white. If a good coach can get him hitting holes hard then he will be the full package

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I hope Mick Potter succeeds and is signed on as our full time coach but won't be happy if Flannagan does gets the job.

Just feel Potter has bled for the club and his heart would be in it where as for Flannagan it's just another coaching opportunity at an NRL club after coaching the Sharks and then helping out with the Dragons.

I'd take Ciraldo or Woolf before Flannagan but please no mention of Paul Green as our coach, that would be a step backwards.

I heard in a podcast one really weird scenario about Madge is not wanted at the Tigers and could be shifted to us and that would allow Flannagan to become their coach for 2023. Apparently Gould has known Madge a long time and respects him as a coach. Hopefully this is just more BS as I wouldn't want Madge at the club either.
Apparently Potter doesn't want the full time job, he just wants to help us out this year.

For that he has my respect.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I’d suggest it’s two-fold:

- The board know how critical the next appointment is and hence won’t rush. It’s not just the head coach but his staff and the entire structure. After Pay and Barrett this cannot be stuffed up once again.

- The bloodletting might not be over. Why expose a new coach to anything until the natives are settled?
The bloodletting hasn't even begun... good times ahead.

Malla

Reaction score
Schoupp is not established.

Malla

Reaction score
I’ll be disappointed if Shoupp isn’t one of our long term centres. Safest one defensively we have, has good chemistry with JAC so far and he bleeds blue and white. If a good coach can get him hitting holes hard then he will be the full package
Agree especially defensively but I would love to see him in the second row.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently Potter doesn't want the full time job, he just wants to help us out this year.

For that he has my respect.
i haven’t heard that as yet from him but apparently he’s being interviewed tonight on 9 news to answer that very question.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
i haven’t heard that as yet from him but apparently he’s being interviewed tonight on 9 news to answer that very question.
He was asked in his presser and Gould has said twice now.

If anything, sounds like he wants a job at another club in 2023.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reality is, that Baz needed just 1 more win to buy him some more time.

The problem however was that we really weren't playing any good footy at all, and our 2 wins came from the opposition being poorer than us rather than us being better.

A win out of Canberra or Knights would have put us equal 13th and woukd relieved some of that pressure but Baz has himself to blame to flogging the same horse and not identifying the root cause of our poor attack.

Lets hope Potter doesn't also stick his head in the sand and actually swaps players in the hooking role
The thing is that the knights should have beaten us by at least 20. They bombed a heap of tries.

Pretty much the exact same situation when Pay was sacked. We played the equal worst side in the comp and got lapped . Back in 2020 Brisbane beat us 24-8 and Pay was gone

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is brilliant. Said all the right things I wanted to hear. How lucky are we to have him back right now to guide the club through at its lowest point....basically save the joint. Lotta love for Gus...absolute champion

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus also said he was behind Mick Potter getting the coaching role, played with him and said he’s a club legend and that’s what we want, someone whose heart is in the club and has bled for the club. Already changes made for our game against Tigers.

Hoping we can string a few wins together now and sign Potts to a longer full time contract.