News Gus goes in-depth on coaching saga: Six Tackles with Gus

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
5 or 6 players contracted in 2024. Going to be a very different looking team and culture by then.

Need experienced coach … not many around ….

Trent essentially cracked under the pressure. Couldn’t find a way out of it . Feels for him.
What I don’t understand is why didn’t Barrett ask Gould for more help? Gus would have been there at every trading session if Barrett had wanted it,

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of the 5 or 6 players contracted in 24 are new buys
Sutton mahoney kikau, so at a guess tpj and alamoti as well, we will have a huge cap to spend, massive player turnover in 18 months

TAS

All In
Reaction score
Definitely worth a listen
Totally agree.

All I can think is love him or hate him, we should thank our lucky stars that we have Gus at our club while we’re in such a mess because I honestly don’t think anybody else would be able to get us out. He understands all facets of the game like no other.

I know it’s hard to hear that we aren’t looking likely to be very strong until 2024 and beyond but when Gus says we are the biggest club in Sydney who shouldn’t be where we are and by the time he’s finished we‘ll never be in this position again, it really is comforting.

I’m just so glad we have him onboard to navigate us out of this misery.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What I don’t understand is why didn’t Barrett ask Gould for more help? Gus would have been there at every trading session if Barrett had wanted it,
I'd suggest it is at least partly because certain loud and obnoxious voices in the media, and unfortunately a number of fans, couldn't stop going on about Gould "taking over" in training being the death knell for Barrett as coach. You can tell yourself to shut that stuff out, but it is a rare person who is both (a) deeply caring about their role, and (b) genuinely able to be unaffected by public comment concerning that role.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m no psychologist but I rekon Baz was simply at breaking point. The build up of intense pressure over a prolonged period. Throw in disappointment of the losses, exhaustion, sleepless nights, the fact he run out of ides and then and pressures from media , fans and family to throw the towel in and a strong man buckles.

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Gus wants to sign Cronulla's new FB

Lex

Waterboy
Reaction score
Sounds like we needed a coach who was willing to take the losses on the chin for a while, and be comfortable to wear the hits from the media. Definitely not the type of role for a young man trying to prove his worth as a coach. As Gus has said before, it was never the right time for Trent to be at the Bulldogs. He would need to ride out another 18 months and demand enough faith for another contract based on very little evidence he could take us to great heights. It was never going to happen.
I think Mick is a good choice to help us through this year, and then someone with experience and resilience can start the build for ‘24 in ‘23.
I’ll be going along for the ride and the day we’re back at the top will be the sweetest ever.

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
we've been linked with 2 Sharks fullbacks, Lachlan Miller and another 1 of their younger players.
Im referring to the ex-rugby player who is starting this weekend

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
2024 is the year!
Hey bro - been out of town at butt fck nowhere for the last 2 days - just got back. Only thing I know is apparently we're fielding the ciggie seller from Belmore Station on the weekend but fck all else. You got a rundown for me?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hey bro - been out of town at butt fck nowhere for the last 2 days - just got back. Only thing I know is apparently we're fielding the ciggie seller from Belmore Station on the weekend but fck all else. You got a rundown for me?
Welcome back!

Ok...

Flanno and Fittler are basically in the lead (gut feeling Flanno done deal).

Around 10 players have been or will be tapped on the shoulder to leave.

All coaching staff will be gone.

All 22 and 23 recruits will honour their contracts.

No player has a baz contract.

I think that's about it for now.