News Gus’ $5.6m splurge just put the squeeze on the Dogs and left four stars looking over their shoulders

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The closest i can think of would be 1984.

Off the top of my head we signed.

Peter Tunks

Peter Kelly

Mark Bugden

Brian Battese

Terry Lamb

Paul Dunn joined in 1986
True mate. Amazing memory you have.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just can’t handle any positive stuff from the bulldogs, as soon as we pounce an make good moves to be the doggs of war again all the shit talking dribble starts.. talk about agendas.!!! And Gus would not be stupid enough to come in an fuck the cap situation up. Fuck the media and the haters, Bring on 22!!!
The only way Gus could stuff up the salary cap is if he does it on purpose !!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hope we don’t. At least for 22 !

Kikau and Mahoney won’t get a release surely!

The other side is cotric value will go
Up after a decent season. He was surrounded by trash last year. Kids a fucking
Gun.

Plus after 22 it’s only 1 year.

Fick paying a gun 23 year old to play elsewhere for two seasons.
and then we can try and extend him for 400-500k (whatever he's worth). I'd be keeping him unless there's no possible way to. Flanagan, Allan and Waddell are the problem, not Cotric. Also a few others off contract that can make way if we need to.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope we don’t. At least for 22 !

Kikau and Mahoney won’t get a release surely!

The other side is cotric value will go
Up after a decent season. He was surrounded by trash last year. Kids a fucking
Gun.

Plus after 22 it’s only 1 year.

Fick paying a gun 23 year old to play elsewhere for two seasons.
Yep hopefully was just white noise/bullshit.Should kick arse in '22 and he will crack a big smile every week for a few games when he looks to his inside and doesn't see hoppa there..

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs have spent big in a bid to resurrect the club but it’s raised concerns the club might have backed itself into a corner.
The Bulldogs’ recent big-fish signings, Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau, have raised concerns over the club’s salary cap situation for the 2023 season.
Penrith powerhouse Kikau has reportedly inked a four-year deal worth just over $800,000 per season, while Parramatta’s pint-sized hooker Mahoney has signed a four-year deal at $650,000 per season.
That’s on top of the hefty salaries the likes of Luke Thompson, Nick Cotric and Tevita Pangai Jr stand to earn in 2023.
Mahoney and Kikau take Canterbury’s 2023 roster to a total of 21 players — plus Jack Hetherington and Jeremy Marshall-King have options in their contracts for 2023. That leaves nine spots to fill (if Hetherington and Marshall-King are not retrained) with not a lot of cash to spend.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the club will look to promote players from its New South Wales, Jersey Flegg and SG Ball teams to fill those spots.

Canterbury’s general manager of football, Phil Gould told the board on Thursday night that the club is planning on signing up to five players from the pathways teams to the top 30 for 2023, according to the Herald.

The Bulldogs will have plenty of cattle to choose from after it was announced last month that the club will bring back its own New South Wales Cup side next season, while also continuing its partnership with feeder side Mounties.

However, despite the vision to promote younger players from within, there’s fears the club will almost be forced into releasing at least one big-money player before 2023 to ease cap pressure.
According to multiple reports, Nick Cotric, Luke Thompson, Kyle Flanagan and Corey Allan are the players the Bulldogs are willing to let go early.

Cotric joined Canterbury-Bankstown on a rich three-year deal at $650,000-per-season. He was the first big-name player to sign as the club began its rebuild.

However, the 23-year-old has been heavily linked to a return to the Raiders, while he has also reportedly been shopped to the Eels and Wests Tigers.

Thompson had been linked to the Tigers — even coach Michael Maguire confirmed in August there was some interest in the Englishman — but nothing ever came of it. His $800,000 salary is chewing up a great deal of the Bulldogs’ cap.

Meanwhile, Flanagan and Allan are both said to earn $500,000 in 2023 — a startling amount given both aren’t guaranteed to land a spot in coach Trent Barrett’s 17.

However, there seems to be little interest in the pair from rival clubs.
Unless the Rugby League Player’s Association can negotiate an increase, the 2023 salary cap will be $10 million.

The Daily Telegraph claims the Bulldogs’ 2023 roster has already taken up close to $8.85 million, leaving just $1.15 million to fill the remaining spots. However, add in Mahoney’s salary and that figure drops to $500,000.

A minimum deal starts at $80,000.

Gould’s plan to fill half of the final spots with low-money deals for players from the pathways system leaves big question marks over the future of several players that come off contract at the end of 2022.

Matt Dufty and Paul Vaughan have just joined the club on one-year, lowball deals looking to revive their careers. If both players have a good season, their value will increase — but the Bulldogs won’t have the cash to keep them both.

As is the case for Raymond Faitala-Mariner, who is expected back from a foot injury in the early rounds of next season.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Typical Daily Telecrap article on the Bulldogs cap situation after we sign a couple of decent players! The Rorters go back to back premierships and the Storm win in 2020 yet both clubs sign fresh players AND keep their premiership winning players but no hint of a peep regarding salary cap pressure from either club! Only the Bulldogs are worthy of raising questions marks about our cap after signing a couple of good players... FFS!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry, seen another similar thread only after I posted this one! Delete thread...

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank Fuck JMK has a option in 23 better be club option

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one way to sort this, keep on buying players, phark em ,
Bring over latrell, bring over cherry evans

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is what i said yesty they maybe could have waited, i highly doubt other clubs were chasing him....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is what i said yesty they maybe could have waited, i highly doubt other clubs were chasing him....
As if he won't take up that option :(
Who do we blame for this one! :grinning: