News Gus’ ‘massive’ Ciraldo move could deliver the ‘biggest prize’... but it’s a ‘gamble’ that could backfire

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby league legend Mark Geyer has made a bold prediction following the Bulldogs’ appointment of rookie coach Cameron Ciraldo — while Fox League’s Andrew Voss is concerned the club’s “gamble” could backfire.

Ciraldo inked a five-year contract to join the Belmore club from 2023 onwards in a deal reportedly worth around $800,000-per-season.

The 38-year-old was the hottest property on the coaching market following the axing of multiple coaches including Trent Barrett, but in the end NRL supremo Phil Gould got his man.

Ciraldo has been Ivan Cleary’s assistant for several years and former Panther Mark Geyer believes his appointment means Matt Burton’s tenure with the Bulldogs will almost certainly extend past 2023 after knocking back his player option for 2024.

“He’ll be the youngest coach in the NRL, 38-years of age and signs a five-year deal as I said it’s a major coup, but what it does is makes Matt Burton, now his signature will be a lot longer, he’ll sign on for longer,” Geyer said on Triple M.

“That means that Kikau won’t get cold feet, it means Reed Mahoney won’t get cold feet, the Fox (Josh Addo Carr).

“It’s a massive signing, a lot of people will be saying look he hasn’t done much but, he’s been an assistant coach but what he’s done is he’s very articulate in the way he prepares.”

Geyer also believes the Bulldogs are set for a “special” rebuild, going as far to say they could be premiership contenders within five years.

It’s all about the team with Cameron Ciraldo it’s never about him so I think this is a major, major boost for the Bulldogs in the next five years,” Geyer said.

“Cameron Ciraldo will, I’m not going to say it but they’re going to do something special in five years but they’re going to be close I would say.

“I reckon they’re going to be close to pulling off the biggest prize of all within five years.”

The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield echoed Geyer’s opinion — but explained assistants who have been mentored by elite coaches don’t always become successful bosses themselves.

“At 38 he’ll be the youngest coach in the NRL but a terrific talent, he’s been a great right hand man for Ivan Cleary at the Panthers with all their success in recent years,” Rothfield said on the Big Sports Breakfast.

“He’s their minister for defence there, he’s the one who designed all the strategies to keep their line intact which has been so outstanding in recent times.

“Look the only thing I will say is just because you’re out of a Penrith system or Melbourne system it doesn’t automatically make you a great coach.

“I wrote this morning about Trent Barrett only having a 40 per cent win record despite the rap on ‘Baz’ (Barrett) when he came out of Penrith and Garth Brennan too.

“You look at guys like Adam O’Brien who came out of Melbourne and had a year under Trent Robinson.

“It doesn’t mean you’re going to be an immediate success but I’ve got this feeling that Cameron Ciraldo will prove that theory wrong, he’s got what it takes.

“I think it’s enormous for Canterbury and that he knows the pathways so well at Penrith, he’s been there over a decade on their coaching staff.

“He knows how to bring young players through, I think it’s a huge move for the Bulldogs.

“Put them (Kikau and Mahoney) in with Matty Burton and the rest of the team I think they’re going to be a real top eight chance next year.”

While many are backing Ciraldo to be a success, rugby league commentator Andrew Voss stated he wouldn’t be “signing a rookie coach for five years”.

Five-year coaching contracts have in the past gone pear-shaped — Anthony Seibold’s short-lived Broncos deal being the most recent.

Voss explained there are only a handful of coaches across the league that could warrant the long-term contract signed by Ciraldo.

“Any five-year deal, there’s an element of a gamble in it, even with a player.

“But five years for an untried coach?” Fox League’s Greg Alexander said on SEN.

“What if they haven’t played finals in a couple of years? I think five years is too much,” Voss said.

“Five years for a rookie coach? Trying to think of a coach you’d sign for five years, I think you’ve got to have the runs on the board.

“(Craig) Bellamy, (Trent) Robinson, (Ivan) Cleary, I don’t think there’s too many more.

“I’m not signing a rookie coach for five years.

“But, I wish Cameron Ciraldo all the very best.”

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I’m with Voss. Five years is a massive risk. We can’t keep sacking coaches before their time is up if we want to attract coaches and players, so I really hope Cameron works out. If he doesn’t we’re in for a world of hurt.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that I hope for Ciraldo, that he has monitored the performances of both of our coaches this year and figures out the best way forward with his methods applied on our strengths. And gets us firing from the start.
And I hope he's innovative as enough not to go too crazy with bringing any wasted and unnecessary signings from the panthers. Coach with what's in front of him and not was he's left behind.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Rugby league legend Mark Geyer has made a bold prediction following the Bulldogs’ appointment of rookie coach Cameron Ciraldo — while Fox League’s Andrew Voss is concerned the club’s “gamble” could backfire.

Ciraldo inked a five-year contract to join the Belmore club from 2023 onwards in a deal reportedly worth around $800,000-per-season.

The 38-year-old was the hottest property on the coaching market following the axing of multiple coaches including Trent Barrett, but in the end NRL supremo Phil Gould got his man.

Ciraldo has been Ivan Cleary’s assistant for several years and former Panther Mark Geyer believes his appointment means Matt Burton’s tenure with the Bulldogs will almost certainly extend past 2023 after knocking back his player option for 2024.

“He’ll be the youngest coach in the NRL, 38-years of age and signs a five-year deal as I said it’s a major coup, but what it does is makes Matt Burton, now his signature will be a lot longer, he’ll sign on for longer,” Geyer said on Triple M.

“That means that Kikau won’t get cold feet, it means Reed Mahoney won’t get cold feet, the Fox (Josh Addo Carr).

“It’s a massive signing, a lot of people will be saying look he hasn’t done much but, he’s been an assistant coach but what he’s done is he’s very articulate in the way he prepares.”

Geyer also believes the Bulldogs are set for a “special” rebuild, going as far to say they could be premiership contenders within five years.

It’s all about the team with Cameron Ciraldo it’s never about him so I think this is a major, major boost for the Bulldogs in the next five years,” Geyer said.

“Cameron Ciraldo will, I’m not going to say it but they’re going to do something special in five years but they’re going to be close I would say.

“I reckon they’re going to be close to pulling off the biggest prize of all within five years.”

The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield echoed Geyer’s opinion — but explained assistants who have been mentored by elite coaches don’t always become successful bosses themselves.

“At 38 he’ll be the youngest coach in the NRL but a terrific talent, he’s been a great right hand man for Ivan Cleary at the Panthers with all their success in recent years,” Rothfield said on the Big Sports Breakfast.

“He’s their minister for defence there, he’s the one who designed all the strategies to keep their line intact which has been so outstanding in recent times.

“Look the only thing I will say is just because you’re out of a Penrith system or Melbourne system it doesn’t automatically make you a great coach.

“I wrote this morning about Trent Barrett only having a 40 per cent win record despite the rap on ‘Baz’ (Barrett) when he came out of Penrith and Garth Brennan too.

“You look at guys like Adam O’Brien who came out of Melbourne and had a year under Trent Robinson.

“It doesn’t mean you’re going to be an immediate success but I’ve got this feeling that Cameron Ciraldo will prove that theory wrong, he’s got what it takes.

“I think it’s enormous for Canterbury and that he knows the pathways so well at Penrith, he’s been there over a decade on their coaching staff.

“He knows how to bring young players through, I think it’s a huge move for the Bulldogs.

“Put them (Kikau and Mahoney) in with Matty Burton and the rest of the team I think they’re going to be a real top eight chance next year.”

While many are backing Ciraldo to be a success, rugby league commentator Andrew Voss stated he wouldn’t be “signing a rookie coach for five years”.

Five-year coaching contracts have in the past gone pear-shaped — Anthony Seibold’s short-lived Broncos deal being the most recent.

Voss explained there are only a handful of coaches across the league that could warrant the long-term contract signed by Ciraldo.

“What if they haven’t played finals in a couple of years? I think five years is too much,” Voss said.

“Five years for a rookie coach? Trying to think of a coach you’d sign for five years, I think you’ve got to have the runs on the board.

“(Craig) Bellamy, (Trent) Robinson, (Ivan) Cleary, I don’t think there’s too many more.

Isn't this the same article we saw earlier?

PS this is journalism today, just "report" what someone else has reported and add your name to it.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

5 years! More like 2 to 3 years.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are people talking about 5 years being a worry?

How long has Bellamy been at the Storm? Bennett at the Broncos? Hell we had Des for 6 seasons. They all at least made GF's and 2 out of the 3 won Premierships.

If we're worrying about signing the most sought after coach in the game on a 5 year contract then what the hell must they be talking about over on the Eels forum?

Oh yeh that's right 'this is our year' like it has been for the last 2 decades or more.

As a Bulldog supporter we should be over the moon in getting his signature and with Gus working behind the scenes the future is looking good.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What is all this crap about players getting cold feet? If they don't end up coming then they sit on the sidelines without getting paid for the term of their contracts like Tallis did. What a dumb comment.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five years is sweet.
It means Ciraldo has a stable three years to get us to top 8 / top 4.
Continuing in years four and five, depends on his results.

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ciraldo is the best available coach out there and he is now a Bulldog, sure he's a risk but any coach we hired would have been a risk,but Gus got us the best available coach out there, fuck the salty media. Gus played those fuckers like a banjo and I am more than confident that camerons five year deal will have performance clauses to protect the club should it not work out. The talking heads are just pissed it wasn't the coach they thought it should be, fuck them all, we are on the up. And in the meantime Gus will continue to rape penrith and Alexander will continue to whine about it.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this cam bloke is as good aa they say. We have to win a comp before I'm 40. Surely I can't go 17 to 40 between drinks?
How depressing

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will no doubt be performance clauses in the club's favour, as well as remuneration bonuses in Ciraldo's.

Get us into the top 8 consistently and show year on year improvement as we build towards top 4, welcome to the family Cam.

Fail to deliver however and it's arrivederci.

No club will ever do what Brisbane did with Siebold. Well, maybe the tigers, but no competent club anyway..

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geyer makes a good point re: signing Ciraldo for that long, gives assurance to guys like Burton etc. He'll see that and with what Gus will be saying, it will make securing his service for a long time, much more likely.

Also I totally agree re: good assistants don't necessarily make a good head coach, but they didn't mention Fitzgibbon, who has done a remarkable job in his first season. Some of the Sharks' performances have been very impressive under him.