Guardian: Dogs may be hard to like for some, but admiring them is easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sick and tired of the rubbish dished out by the popular dailies? I've been finding the Guardian to both entertaining and insightful. They don't employ nearly as many sports reporters as the populars, but the few they have seem really good. One of today's articles has a piece on the Dogs:

[h=2]Dogs may be hard to like for some, but admiring them is easy[/h] Only those at Canterbury hold on to any notion of Canterbury still being this avuncular, working-class “family club” (though, fair’s fair, they’ve managed to reunite the Morris brothers and have the Mata’utias on speed dial). Indeed, many on the outside find the Dogs hard to like, although the departure of Michael Ennis to Cronulla may have changed that. What’s less contentious, however, is that the Bulldogs have mongrel, the type that is not willing to roll over when things are tough, the kind that more often than not wins in golden point (as they did last season four of five times).

On Saturday night the young Tigers were cutting them up with youthful pizzazz, and Luke Brooks and James Tedesco were smiling from ear to ear. The future looked bright, for the Tigers, the future looked here. But down 24-6 with just 22 minutes remaining the Dogs dragged themselves back into the contest and after, among other highlights, a gem of a cut-out-pass from Sam Kasiano to Curtis Rona and, later, Josh Morris’s first try in a year, they took the game to extra-time — where Josh Reynolds’s fill-in Moses Mbye added the important point and made you think that maybe Reynolds may not be an automatic inclusion when he returns to health. Des Hasler, who knows ornery when he sees it, liked what he saw. “We have got that ability in us to play catch-up footy but it’s something that we don’t want to do too often because we’re not going to get away with it all the time,’’ he said. “The boys showed composure and that was probably the best passage of football we played the entire game at the back end. They showed plenty of courage to stay in there and finish it off and get the points.’’ Curiously, the Bulldogs have now scored 66 second half points this season to just 24 first half points. Are they serving camomile tea for pre-game hydration?

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
true, but we gotta stop chasing our tails to win games. Sure its great to watch but fml its like a heart attack each time, but the feeling of winning is somewhat worth it.. I don't know whats better.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick and tired of the rubbish dished out by the popular dailies? I've been finding the Guardian to both entertaining and insightful. They don't employ nearly as many sports reporters as the populars, but the few they have seem really good. One of today's articles has a piece on the Dogs:

Dogs may be hard to like for some, but admiring them is easy

Only those at Canterbury hold on to any notion of Canterbury still being this avuncular, working-class “family club” (though, fair’s fair, they’ve managed to reunite the Morris brothers and have the Mata’utias on speed dial). Indeed, many on the outside find the Dogs hard to like, although the departure of Michael Ennis to Cronulla may have changed that. What’s less contentious, however, is that the Bulldogs have mongrel, the type that is not willing to roll over when things are tough, the kind that more often than not wins in golden point (as they did last season four of five times).

On Saturday night the young Tigers were cutting them up with youthful pizzazz, and Luke Brooks and James Tedesco were smiling from ear to ear. The future looked bright, for the Tigers, the future looked here. But down 24-6 with just 22 minutes remaining the Dogs dragged themselves back into the contest and after, among other highlights, a gem of a cut-out-pass from Sam Kasiano to Curtis Rona and, later, Josh Morris’s first try in a year, they took the game to extra-time — where Josh Reynolds’s fill-in Moses Mbye added the important point and made you think that maybe Reynolds may not be an automatic inclusion when he returns to health. Des Hasler, who knows ornery when he sees it, liked what he saw. “We have got that ability in us to play catch-up footy but it’s something that we don’t want to do too often because we’re not going to get away with it all the time,’’ he said. “The boys showed composure and that was probably the best passage of football we played the entire game at the back end. They showed plenty of courage to stay in there and finish it off and get the points.’’ Curiously, the Bulldogs have now scored 66 second half points this season to just 24 first half points. Are they serving camomile tea for pre-game hydration?

Had to google this word ornery as i diddnt know what it meant lol.

So quick quizz What does ornery mean (answer below before you look it up)?

A) Ornery means young dark and handsom - Des hasler knows that Mbye is young dark and handsom when he sees it

B) Ornery means Brilliant and full of potential - Des hasler knows taht mby is brilliant and full of potential when he sees it

C) Ornery mean ugly, unpleasnt and ordenary - des hasler knows mby is ugly, unpleasnt, vile and ordenary he sees it

D) Ornery means the most amizing thing the imagination can think of - Des hasler knows mbye is the most amizing thing the imagination can think of when he sees it

Get guessing - the answer may suprise you!!

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
unleess of corse your alot brighter then me ( which wouldnt be hard) and already know what the word means - lol

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, I have always thought ornery means ugly or stubborn..

I think in this contest, the journo was saying that Des knows "ugly" when he sees it..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the person who wrote this has a dislike for Ennis and possibly an indifferent opinion on Hodko.

Anyhow i just want to point out that as well as Kasianos cut out pass to Rona , Hodko played a very important role in winning this game, apart from his perfect goal conversions ,he was the one who masterminded the all important throw to Mbye for the win.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the person who wrote this has a dislike for Ennis and possibly an indifferent opinion on Hodko.

Anyhow i just want to point out that as well as Kasianos cut out pass to Rona , Hodko played a very important role in winning this game, apart from his perfect goal conversions ,he was the one who masterminded the all important throw to Mbye for the win.
Now that I think about it hodkinson seemed to play terrible on purpose just so he can give all the shine to the younger half Mybe what a champion bloke hodko is !

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now that I think about it hodkinson seemed to play terrible on purpose just so he can give all the shine to the younger half Mybe what a champion bloke hodko is !
what part of perfect goal converting
is terrible lol..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol @ Saturday night
The Guardian's attempts at reporting on league are ordinary tbh. This type of error is made every week without fail. Wrong dates, wrong grounds, wrong players....

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Curiously, the Bulldogs have now scored 66 second half points this season to just 24 first half points. Are they serving camomile tea for pre-game hydration?
This journo is okay. That's the best tongue in cheek shot at us sitting on our arses for the first forty minutes I've heard.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This journo is okay. That's the best tongue in cheek shot at us sitting on our arses for the first forty minutes I've heard.
How about his description of Knights unbeaten start to the season:

Yes, Newcastle have made their best start to a season in nine years, but only time will tell if they end up like the young wag in a bear suit who squirms to the front row of the starting line in a 15km fun run and, at the gun, goes pell mell down the opening stretch (thus getting himself on TV) before doubling over and vomiting into his muzzle as the elite runners pass him by. After last year Newcastle will forgive us for remaining circumspect despite their impressive start to the year.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
if the Dogs can click and play to their potential in attack and put a score on a couple of teams you won't be able to back us for the GF.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Last year we couldn't score in the second half so this year is better.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Let me guess ..

Editor: chipandchase?

:lol:

Reaction score
Had to google this word ornery as i diddnt know what it meant lol.

So quick quizz What does ornery mean (answer below before you look it up)?

A) Ornery means young dark and handsom - Des hasler knows that Mbye is young dark and handsom when he sees it

B) Ornery means Brilliant and full of potential - Des hasler knows taht mby is brilliant and full of potential when he sees it

C) Ornery mean ugly, unpleasnt and ordenary - des hasler knows mby is ugly, unpleasnt, vile and ordenary he sees it

D) Ornery means the most amizing thing the imagination can think of - Des hasler knows mbye is the most amizing thing the imagination can think of when he sees it

Get guessing - the answer may suprise you!!
you're not alone, i didn't know what ornery meant either. i've heard it said, but i thought they were saying ordinary, i'm not real smart but

Status
Not open for further replies.