Grub Slater Not Charged

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Disgraceful decision.

MELBOURNE Storm fullback Billy Slater is free to play the Broncos next Friday after his report for dangerous contact was this morning thrown out by the NRL's match review panel.
Melbourne won the grand final rematch 22-18 in what ended up a tense game, but the talking point came when Slater was placed on report by referee Ben Cummins after his foot came into contact with Canterbury prop David Klemmer's head.

The Storm fullback was catching a bomb and was still in the air when contact was made.

But a review of the incident found the contact was only accidental, with the Match Review Panel this morning dismissing Slater's report.

The incident allowed the Bulldogs to roar back into the match before the Storm machine clicked into gear to take a 22-6 lead. In their second comeback, the Dogs then took the game to the wire in the final minute.

Slater tried to play down the incident after the match.

"I have to have a look at it," he told Channel 9.

"I just go up for footy and try to protect myself as best I can.

"What they (the referees) saw in it, I'm not sure."

On-field referee Ben Cummins said at the time: "What you've done is kick him going through the air, that was an act of prior foul play."

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
On-field referee Ben Cummins said at the time: "What you've done is kick him going through the air, that was an act of prior foul play."

5 stars to the video refs who saw this and informed Ben Cummins during the match. Anyone know who is in the Match Review Commitee?

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So an accidental high shot is ok? There are different grades for deliberate and careless fouls. FFS! They don't even know their own grading system.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
If we take the emotion out of this incident, you will find that a penalty was sufficent in this case. It is just one incident that can occur during a game of footy.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not much in it tbh...If it was Barba that did this, you guys would cry foul if he was charged. Honestly if you notice Slater jumping for the ball he had nothing but eyes on it, so anything else he did was purely out of reflex.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Disgraceful decision.

MELBOURNE Storm fullback Billy Slater is free to play the Broncos next Friday after his report for dangerous contact was this morning thrown out by the NRL's match review panel.
Melbourne won the grand final rematch 22-18 in what ended up a tense game, but the talking point came when Slater was placed on report by referee Ben Cummins after his foot came into contact with Canterbury prop David Klemmer's head.

The Storm fullback was catching a bomb and was still in the air when contact was made.

But a review of the incident found the contact was only accidental, with the Match Review Panel this morning dismissing Slater's report.

The incident allowed the Bulldogs to roar back into the match before the Storm machine clicked into gear to take a 22-6 lead. In their second comeback, the Dogs then took the game to the wire in the final minute.

Slater tried to play down the incident after the match.

"I have to have a look at it," he told Channel 9.

"I just go up for footy and try to protect myself as best I can.

"What they (the referees) saw in it, I'm not sure."

so to protect himself he felt the need to boot someone in the face?...right

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garbage, David Klemmer is a fucking mountain of a man Slater must have known that he was on his way to smash him and reacted to protect himself. It may have been purely on reflex but he still must have known, no one goes up for a ball before having a look at where the opposition players are in relation to them.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Still an illegal hit whether accidental or not.

Worse person to quote from Mark Geyer on Triple M but still gives a good example.

Triple M's Mark Geyer said it was an accident but he will be charged.

"It was reckless and unfortunately you can be charged for accidents these days. I don't think he meant to do it. He's done something illegal," he told Triple M's Grill Team.
"It's the same if I go and tackle a bloke and my arm goes off the ball and hits him in the jaw… I didn't mean to hit him in the jaw but t's an accident."

Our club is just too smart now days and have done the right thing by letting it be judged by the officials in place.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You don't have to injure someone in a high tackle to get charged. Likewise, had he studded him in the eye, what would be the reaction?

cm's of difference.

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm actually disappointed in T REX.
he was right there along with KK When it happened.( KK wouldn't have done much really ) but if I was Tony I would have wacked him one right on his chin and then the nearest player to him to stand up for my team mate and let them know no one will walk over us.. Worth the penalty IMO.
Only Ennis got animated be it standing behind one of our players...

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
Not much in it tbh...If it was Barba that did this, you guys would cry foul if he was charged. Honestly if you notice Slater jumping for the ball he had nothing but eyes on it, so anything else he did was purely out of reflex.
could you be possibly any more of an idiot?

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score

You must be in LA LA land!!
Leaping up your knee sticks out that's understandable, but that was a boot stuck out and Klemmer was still 1metre away from him. And Klemmer is over 6 foot tall!!!

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So an accidental high shot is ok? There are different grades for deliberate and careless fouls. FFS! They don't even know their own grading system.
Garbage, David Klemmer is a fucking mountain of a man Slater must have known that he was on his way to smash him and reacted to protect himself. It may have been purely on reflex but he still must have known, no one goes up for a ball before having a look at where the opposition players are in relation to them.
I saw a couple of replays of this and on one angle in particular it was obviously "an attack to the head of an opposing player".

The two things that piss me off in this case are:
!. He attacked David Klemmer's head with the sole of his boot which would have sbout eight studs on it. if he had connected with any impact he could have inflicted injuries from cuts and bruises to blindness.
2. Slater has got previous form for kicking at an opponent's head. Doesn't a players previous form count?

jimmyjames

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope our backs take heed and lead with the foot everytime. I won't be satisfied until I see studmarks on Slater's face after he tries to take out a catcher.

H

HajdukSplit

The biggest load of bullshit this season.

If klemmer tackled Slater in the air, he would of either tackled his leg and if Slater didnt have his leg extended he would of copped Slaters knee and not his Adidas PREDATORS.

NRL, Andrew Johns, Wally Lewis, Craig Bellamy, Cameron Smith please volunteer as the atacking players and i will give you a personal jackie Chan demonstration

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah this is a joke, you can see the grub look down and than extend his leg out. Not the first time the grub has used his leg and certainly won't be the last.

WestieDog

Zambuck
Reaction score
Slater has form - he's a genius when he does freaky stuff, but an innocent party when he leads with the feet or shoulder charges. Can't have it both ways.

He's a grub ... but he's a koala - a protected species.

Big_Dawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He shouldn't have been playing in the first place from last week

Status
Not open for further replies.