Growing Pains

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a long time Dogs fan and have been there through the good and times and the rough times. It has been a rough few years and at times last year found myself getting so frustrated I would swear at the TV and often turn it off in disgust. My 7 year old son bleeds blue and white and was in tears several times... I get the excitement at the moment as I too am frothing over our future prospects. I am concerned however that this is maybe too much too soon and the amount of pressure put on this very young playing group will be immense. With our current roster for 2021 we have very little expectations. To be honest if we put on some decent performances.. even losses and finish higher than 15th I think that is a good result. Imagine if we get burton early Smith Jac.... limp into the finals and get bailed out straight away. Then in 2022 the expectations will be massive. If God forbid we under perform the fans and the board will be calling for heads to roll and we'll be back to square one.
Let's just calm down for a bit and hope we have a solid 2021 that we can build on.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a long time Dogs fan and have been there through the good and times and the rough times. It has been a rough few years and at times last year found myself getting so frustrated I would swear at the TV and often turn it off in disgust. My 7 year old son bleeds blue and white and was in tears several times... I get the excitement at the moment as I too am frothing over our future prospects. I am concerned however that this is maybe too much too soon and the amount of pressure put on this very young playing group will be immense. With our current roster for 2021 we have very little expectations. To be honest if we put on some decent performances.. even losses and finish higher than 15th I think that is a good result. Imagine if we get burton early Smith Jac.... limp into the finals and get bailed out straight away. Then in 2022 they expectations will be massive. If God forbid and we under perform the fans and the board will be calling for head to roll and we'll be back to square one.
Let's just calm down for a bit and hope we have a solid 2021 that we can build on.
You have the right attitude. Some improvement is all we can hope for, and what we should expect. If there is no improvement on this year the fans will walk, and the club will be taken over by vested interests who see the club as a way to make a bit of easy money.

Last edited:

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like it or not if you’re gonna play/coach at the dogs you’re gonna have big expectations from fans I think the fans understand that we haven’t had the talent but the pure incompetence shown by the coaches and board to neither recruit or develop and not even overhaul the most boring team in the competition for several years have the fans up in arms. As long as we can recruit and blood some players and show some progression i think they’ll be given the time to improve

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a long time Dogs fan and have been there through the good and times and the rough times. It has been a rough few years and at times last year found myself getting so frustrated I would swear at the TV and often turn it off in disgust. My 7 year old son bleeds blue and white and was in tears several times... I get the excitement at the moment as I too am frothing over our future prospects. I am concerned however that this is maybe too much too soon and the amount of pressure put on this very young playing group will be immense. With our current roster for 2021 we have very little expectations. To be honest if we put on some decent performances.. even losses and finish higher than 15th I think that is a good result. Imagine if we get burton early Smith Jac.... limp into the finals and get bailed out straight away. Then in 2022 the expectations will be massive. If God forbid we under perform the fans and the board will be calling for heads to roll and we'll be back to square one.
Nasheed here,
In all honesty was your kid really in tears yo?
That’s the problem. No kid should be that worked up over a game of footy. Perhaps losing a grand final on the bell or something but not because roosters won 20-4 in round 3 etc

when the dogs lose I chuckle and come here and crack jokes with the boys and all kennelers seem to do the same.

it’s just a game. Every year it’s the same thing. No one has bragging rights forever so just treat it how it is. Fun popcorn entertainment,
Also consider a second team. I go for a few teams and it makes it easier

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
That’s the problem. No kid should be that worked up over a game of footy. Perhaps losing a grand final on the bell or something but not because roosters won 20-4 in round 3 etc

when the dogs lose I chuckle and come here and crack jokes with the boys and all kennelers seem to do the same.

it’s just a game. Every year it’s the same thing. No one has bragging rights forever so just treat it how it is. Fun popcorn entertainment,
This **** giving out parenting advice!! Tell that single brain cell of yours to shut the fuck up

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

Thanks for the advice..... he's a kid. That is his way of expressing emotion. Just like mine is to get the shits (like now with you). He is a well adjusted kid who has lots of friends does well at school and plays team sports. I like that he is so passionate at a young age. You are definitely speaking out of school mate. It's not every loss... just occasionally when we put in a good first half and then shit the bed in the second half... which was a lot in 2020. I'm new here but I'm starting to see where your rep comes from. So far I have you pegged as being a troll or a complete ignorant douchebag. I'm not going to call you names it's not my style..... but please refrain from comments like this that you clearly know fuck all about.
Go you Doggies

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice..... he's a kid. That is his way of expressing emotion. Just like mine is to get the shits (like now with you). He is a well adjusted kid who has lots of friends does well at school and plays team sports. I like that he is so passionate at a young age. You are definitely speaking out of school mate. It's not every loss... just occasionally when we put in a good first half and then shit the bed in the second half... which was a lot in 2020. I'm new here but I'm starting to see where your rep comes from. So far I have you pegged as being a troll or a complete ignorant douchebag. I'm not going to call you names it's not my style..... but please refrain from comments like this that you clearly know fuck all about.
Go you Doggies
I think your reply was rude.
I genuinely think if your kid cries over football then he’s prioritising and worried about the wrong things in life. It’s a sign of materialism and neuroticism.
I have NEVER cried over a football game as a child. I don’t know anyone that has? I definitely felt emotion but never to the point of crying.
If you want to insult me for a bit of advice and reject it then go ahead, I think a better human would have at least appreciated the effort even if he disagreed, but I stand by my advice that this is a kid who’s not seeing the bigger picture in life atm. The things that are important in this world is family, relationships, having a safe place to be, food ok the table. Having loving parents. Having both... having ANY parents! Having people you can rely on. Being healthy, putting you’re all in to what you do, having a moral code. These are the things that matters, these are the things you cry over. There is no shortage in this world of people that don’t have any of what I listed. That’s what kids should cry about (apart from physical pain) not a football game where ‘we were down in the second half’.
Anyway you don’t care, you don’t see how one effects the other, so not going to keep typing.
You do you.
Pimp in peace x

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

Its not just a game, its the game, the only game and the dogs are our team . Some of us are very passionate including our kids you fuckwit and want to win no matter who we play ,or when we just want our team to be competitive go and follow a diferent team and get off the kennel you uneducated fool nasheed

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I genuinely think if your kid cries over football then he’s prioritising and worried about the wrong things in life. It’s a sign of materialism and neuroticism.
I have NEVER cried over a football game as a child. I don’t know anyone that has? I definitely felt emotion but never to the point of crying.
If you want to insult me for a bit of advice and reject it then go ahead, I think a better human would have at least appreciated the effort even if he disagreed, but I stand by my advice that this is a kid who’s not seeing the bigger picture in life atm. The things that are important in this world is family, relationships, having a safe place to be, food ok the table. Having loving parents. Having both... having ANY parents! Having people you can rely on. Being healthy, putting you’re all in to what you do, having a moral code. These are the things that matters, these are the things you cry over. There is no shortage in this world of people that don’t have any of what I listed. That’s what kids should cry about (apart from physical pain) not a football game where ‘we were down in the second half’.
Anyway you don’t care, you don’t see how one effects the other, so not going to keep typing.
You do you.
Pimp in peace x
Your welcome to your opinion but I Generally dont take parenting advice of complete strangers. This is a forum about football. Let's stay on topic. Forget I mentioned my son.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Its not just a game, its the game, the only game and the dogs are our team . Some of us are very passionate including our kids you fuckwit and want to win no matter who we play ,or when we just want our team to be competitive go and follow a diferent team and get off the kennel you uneducated fool nasheed
Perspective.
It’s just a game. A cool game at that. But a game.
A game played by players who have never met you and playing for your club who will change club for a little bit more money. Clubs (businesses) that charge you and make money do your support and passion. They sell you merch at markup, charge you gate fees, and are filled with people who come and go. It’s a job. The players are doing their day jobs.
There’s nothing wrong with a little bit of passion but it’s just a game. Anyone who obsessed or gets overly emotional about it is preoccupied with the wrong things in life.
You could well be the same type of guy taht kaighs at girls obsessing over Gucci bags. Same thing just in male.

Every year we okay the same teams. Sometimes win, sometimes lose. It’s what it is. Some fun.

mum obviously passionate and know my stuff but I also know the important things to really be meaningful to you are;
Religion
Family
Friends
Relationships
Work
Achievement.... creating things, hitting goals
Seeing the world and broadening your horizons
Philosophy
Being better people

People playing a game that’s an offcut of rugby Union for poor people should be much lower on that priority list.
a big hobby.
There’s some nobility in how it can bring communities together at times, but that could be achieved in a myriad of ways.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Your welcome to your opinion but I Generally dont take parenting advice of complete strangers. This is a forum about football. Let's stay on topic. Forget I mentioned my son.
Maybe it’s my fault because I misread some of your OP to be concerned about your sons reactions or the effect the dogs were having on him/fans.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

I really don’t understand your logic in having several teams, can’t fathom that at all.
Then somehow it softens the blow when Dogs get beat.
Our last three years have been extremely painful to sit through and attend games,
to be honest I will not be content until we are back on top again & dominating other clubs.
Each to their own.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Excellent post. Yes as fans we get upset when the team does poorly, but we absolutely need to have patience with the new setup. 2021 we might struggle, or maybe the team could do above expectations, then suffer some second year syndrome the year after. Whatever happens it will be important to keep in mind that it takes years to build long term success, and what we all really want to see by the time 2030 rolls around is that our team is in the finals every year and considered in the top 4 favourites to win the whole thing. The key is to get into a position whereby the club is in that position for decades, rather than a handful of years "window" that some talk about.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You do you.
Pimp in peace x
I usally don’t respond to you opionion however. Giving advice that talks about children traits is over the top. You cringing and how kids should show emotion is pathetic. Kids cry for lots reasons as do adults and it’s nothing to be ashamed of.
what is embarrassing but is ice use and bragging about it attacking a person on the internet about there child’s emotions behind a computer.
pimp use as a sign off. Maybe you are a child who believes this is appropriate behaviour. But it’s not the view of myself or professional people. I have kept quiet on you opionion like this. But enough is enough

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go you Doggies
Mate I was exactly the same at his age, I remember crying in the shower when the whole super league war happened thinking the game I love would be destroyed forever.
There is nothing wrong with showing passion and emotion especially at a young age.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Look guys I'm hard to offend. I get protective over my kids though. Hes loves his footy and it is a great thing for us to bond over. Let's move on and talk about footy. I feel like this has gone way off topic. Nasheed has strong opinions. That is okay I shouldn't have indulged him.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Look guys I'm hard to offend. I get protective over my kids though. Hes loves his footy and it is a great thing for us to bond over. Let's move on and talk about footy. I feel like this has gone way off topic. Nasheed has strong opinions. That is okay I shouldn't have indulged him.
You've got nothing to apologise for, one of Nasheed's tactics is to decontextualise someone elses remarks and create an entirely inappropriate tangent. He should be called out on it. What he said was disgusting and wrong, and to top it all off by saying your reply was rude just goes to show how deluded he is.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Bro one of my fondest Dogs memories was sitting on a train that I caught from Punchbowl after I watched the Dogs loose the 2012 grand final with a few tears in my eyes and this kid in his Dogs gear with his dad and sister sitting opposite me came up patted me on the shoulder and said “don’t worry we will win another one” Made my night.

No weakness there just a lovely human moment. Two passionate fans. No calculated risks around here bro you are all in or all out if your a Dogs fan and this kid was a true Dogs fan..

Last edited:

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

You do you.
Pimp in peace x
Enjoy you trolling about football but fuck off with this shit Nasheed. Even defended you before but this is just fucking dumb. Keep the trolling to football.