Gripe about new movie (Wonder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Every so often we delve into decent discussion here... and this is one of those threads.

So there's a new movie out/coming out called "Wonder".

I'll steal Wiki's synopsis of it:
Wonder is a 2017 American drama film directed by Stephen Chbosky and written by Jack Thorne, Steve Conrad, and Chbosky, based on the 2012 novel of the same name by R.J. Palacio. The film stars Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, and Jacob Tremblay, and follows a child with Treacher Collins syndrome trying to fit in.

Now the kid is played by Jacob Tremblay seen below:
upload_2017-12-7_2-26-44.png

Here is where you'll get my gripe (and the discussion comes in).

Jump to 1:45
This is Nathaniel Newman, and there are many many other kids just like him.

It's clear that he can communicate, and can express and emote.

So why oh why are they paying makeup artists and dragging in some perfectly normal looking kid to "Hollywood-ise" a movie?

Sure it raises awareness for the syndrome, but unless 100% of profits from movie go towards it's research, I see this as nothing more than Hollywood making money from a syndrome that causes serious facial deformities.

I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to find a kid suffering from Treacher Collins, and have them act.!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Every so often we delve into decent discussion here... and this is one of those threads.

Wonder is a 2017 American drama film directed by Stephen Chbosky and written by Jack Thorne, Steve Conrad, and Chbosky, based on the 2012 novel of the same name by R.J. Palacio. The film stars Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, and Jacob Tremblay, and follows a child with Treacher Collins syndrome trying to fit in.

View attachment 4475

So why oh why are they paying makeup artists and dragging in some perfectly normal looking kid to "Hollywood-ise" a movie?

Sure it raises awareness for the syndrome, but unless 100% of profits from movie go towards it's research, I see this as nothing more than Hollywood making money from a syndrome that causes serious facial deformities.

I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to find a kid suffering from Treacher Collins, and have them act.!!
Hellywood answer - we care so much about angels like him we didn't cast him for the increased pressure of acting.

What they really mean

1. It's all about money
2. Maximise profits
3. Make it look like we care to maximise profits
4. Some dirty Hellywood **** would molest him and that would decrease profits.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

View attachment 4475

Couldnt agree more.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Absolutely pathetic. This movie will ruins that little boys life. I hate it when Hollywood does this, if they never learnt their lesson with River Phoenix, they'll never learn with anyone.

Who here remembers Edward Furlong, aka John Connor from Terminator 2? Look at him now...

nintchdbpict000276406534.jpg

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's probably a bunch of loop holes they have to work through to get the kid to play the part but generally they do it because it's Hollywood. They don't make a movie like this to be accurate, they make it to tug heart strings, and the best way to do that is by showing a fake, over dramatised representation of it. They don't want reality, they want an idealised reality.

It's like the burgers you see on adverts. They're part plastic, stone cold, filled with pins, covered in lacquer. The same reason why reality TV shows are partially scripted and often re-shot. People don't want reality, they want an idealised version of reality. Throw the truth in their face and they get uncomfortable.

I actually give credit to Super Nature Foods for their recent advertising campaigns. They're using Turia Pitt as their face. She is one of the most amazing women I've read about and an amazing story of a person who never lets anything get her down, but she is badly disfigured due to being caught in a bush fire so she's not exactly pretty to look at. But they still used her as the face of their advertising.

The thing is, people didn't praise the company. There was thousands of complaints about the adverts because people didn't want to look at her. That's how people react. Like Charlize Theron in Monster. She was ugly as they come but everyone was OK with it 'cause they knew that it's make up. They knew she's actually ridiculously hot (ridiculously). If they found an actress with better skills than Charlize Theron to play the part, people wouldn't like it as much. It would have received less awards (technically awards are fixed but this is another subject altogether), it would have less viewers. It's just how people are. They're comfortable with fake. They can't handle reality.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There's probably a bunch of loop holes they have to work through to get the kid to play the part but generally they do it because it's Hollywood. They don't make a movie like this to be accurate, they make it to tug heart strings, and the best way to do that is by showing a fake, over dramatised representation of it. They don't want reality, they want an idealised reality.

It's like the burgers you see on adverts. They're part plastic, stone cold, filled with pins, covered in lacquer. The same reason why reality TV shows are partially scripted and often re-shot. People don't want reality, they want an idealised version of reality. Throw the truth in their face and they get uncomfortable.

I actually give credit to Super Nature Foods for their recent advertising campaigns. They're using Turia Pitt as their face. She is one of the most amazing women I've read about and an amazing story of a person who never lets anything get her down, but she is badly disfigured due to being caught in a bush fire so she's not exactly pretty to look at. But they still used her as the face of their advertising.

The thing is, people didn't praise the company. There was thousands of complaints about the adverts because people didn't want to look at her. That's how people react. Like Charlize Theron in Monster. She was ugly as they come but everyone was OK with it 'cause they knew that it's make up. They knew she's actually ridiculously hot (ridiculously). If they found an actress with better skills than Charlize Theron to play the part, people wouldn't like it as much. It would have received less awards (technically awards are fixed but this is another subject altogether), it would have less viewers. It's just how people are. They're comfortable with fake. They can't handle reality.
So summarising your post...

"Americans"

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s a movie that requires trained actors, not some random kid with no acting experience. It would be shit if the main character was shit—at the end of the day it’s still a movie to entertain and inform.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What am i missing here? Lol

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Fundamentally marketing is just trash. I havn’t seen the Super Nature Foods campaign you are talking about but i do know who Turia Pitt is. Ad’s are used to generate sales, whether it be directly or indirectly.

E.g. Dove soaps push a natural body image, but are owned by Unilever (Lynx). Advertising isn’t honest.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fundamentally marketing is just trash. I havn’t seen the Super Nature Foods campaign you are talking about but i do know who Turia Pitt is. Ad’s are used to generate sales, whether it be directly or indirectly.

E.g. Dove soaps push a natural body image, but are owned by Unilever (Lynx). Advertising isn’t honest.
Wow, thats breaking news!

Status
Not open for further replies.