Greg Eastwood health scare (heart surgery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Mole is reporting we are trying to medically retire him lol. I wish.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The Mole is reporting we are trying to medically retire him lol. I wish.
I like how they spin ot that we are "desperate" to free up cap space to get a half. What about Nu and Cleeland? Not sure what we need but rather not pay Eastwood 800k if hes not up to it.

A

Alexander the Great

800k we free up if we can medically retire him... wowzer

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like how they spin ot that we are "desperate" to free up cap space to get a half. What about Nu and Cleeland? Not sure what we need but rather not pay Eastwood 800k if hes not up to it.
I'd much rather an established half over those 2, but i'm sure the halves merry go round is over for now.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'd much rather an established half over those 2, but i'm sure the halves merry go round is over for now.
I’d love it if we can free up Eastwood (and tolman for that matter) if we had his coin free I’d go for Cody walker if he still is unhappy. Think he could be a good running option for Foran. Otherwise sit tight and wait and see who else comes available, worst case sign rts asap to a deal for 2019 and push for a release. Would be lovely to have his coin to spend and then end of year Morris bros and grahams left overs

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are considering medically retiring Greg Eastwood after the Kiwi international forward underwent surgery for an irregular heartbeat last week.

The club is desperately trying to free up money in the salary cap to sign a halfback and question marks over Eastwood’s future see his career in doubt. The 30-year-old’s body has caused him problems in recent seasons - even before the heart problems a chronic knee injury saw him play just 33 games in the last two seasons. The Bulldogs’ new coach Dean Pay has decided to move halfback Moses Mbye to fullback next season, leaving him short of a number seven for the new season.

Eastwood will be on around $800,000 next season but if he is medically retired, he will get his money - but not out of the salary cap.

That $800,000 will give the Bulldogs plenty of ammunition to find a halves partner for new signing Kieran Foran.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe we are releasing eastwood for a fullback?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Can they retire the BSMole instead?

He's forgotten we bought Nu Brown, and have Cleeland, Lewis, Frawley to name a few.

We don't need a halves partner for Foran.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can they retire the BSMole instead?

He's forgotten we bought Nu Brown, and have Cleeland, Lewis, Frawley to name a few.

We don't need a halves partner for Foran.
They're nobodies at this stage. It isn't unreasonable to think we would want an established half over those players.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d love it if we can free up Eastwood (and tolman for that matter) if we had his coin free I’d go for Cody walker if he still is unhappy. Think he could be a good running option for Foran. Otherwise sit tight and wait and see who else comes available, worst case sign rts asap to a deal for 2019 and push for a release. Would be lovely to have his coin to spend and then end of year Morris bros and grahams left overs
Walker would be handy, he's a smart ball runner with very good acceleration and footwork. He always manages to find his way through the defensive line, does lacks some top speed though. I expect us to make a big play for Curtis Scott to replace the Morris boys, he woupd be a massive pick up.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we can actually medically retire him due to a heart condition? Doesnt it have to be a football injury?

Reactions: DT

Brycycles94

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There is more news on Greg eastwood. Can someone who has a subscription please share it with us lol. It was published by the daily telegraph a few hours ago. Would be much appreciated

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Canterbury forward Greg Eastwood yet to receive green light for 2018 following serious heart scare
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
January 15, 2018 6:00pm
Subscriber only
CANTERBURY forward Greg Eastwood is yet to receive approval to play this season following a serious heart scare that has restricted him to light duties.

Bulldogs officials confirmed Eastwood hadn’t been given the green light for 2018 and will be monitored after he underwent surgery to correct an abnormal heart rate, which occurred while he was driving to training prior to Christmas.

The heart episode also forced the New Zealand international to momentarily go blind while driving.

TOP DOG: Pay ready for dream job

NEW BLOKE: Woods moved on from Tigers

The Bulldogs are taking Eastwood’s recovery slowly. Photo: Mark Evans
After completing successful surgery, Eastwood received the all-clear to return to light duties at the Bulldogs in late December.

He has since resumed training to prepare for this season, but he is currently relegated to gym and cardio work only.

The Bulldogs want to take a cautious approach with the former Test star and slowly rebuild his fitness before contemplating a comeback to full-contact training and playing.

This places a cloud over Eastwood’s hopes of continuing his career into a 13th season.

Despite the challenges, the former Brisbane Broncos and Leeds Rhinos forward remains optimistic about his future in the game.

The forward wants to be a part of an intriguing season. (AAP Image/Paul Miller)
“I definitely want to continue my career,” Eastwood told The Daily Telegraph late last year.

“I’m only 30 and I’ve still got a bit to offer so that is what I’ll be pushing for.

“I’ll build up with a bit of cardio for the next couple of weeks and then I’ll see the doctor again after Christmas and hopefully he gives me the all-clear.

“But anything to do with the heart is pretty scary — you need it to live.

“The club have been really good though. They have made sure I’ve looked after my health before footy and whatever I need to do they let me do it. That has been greatly appreciated.”

Woods: 'He wants to hurt players'
Eastwood, contracted at Canterbury until the end of 2018, is also motivated to recover from his heart scare so he can work alongside new Bulldogs coach Dean Pay.

“Dean has been great — all the boys love him,” he said. “He has sat everyone down individually and told them what he wants.

“We are training really hard, but Dean has been fair with a couple of days off here and there.

“He is good to communicate with. He said if you have problems to come and be honest with him and the boys are enjoying that.

“Now I hope I can repay Dean by getting on the field.”

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
“I’ll build up with a bit of cardio for the next couple of weeks and then I’ll see the doctor again after Christmas and hopefully he gives me the all-clear.
Looking at the top of the article, it states January 15 (today)....yet the quote above is about after Xmas.
Either these journos keep copying and pasting from last years stories or we're fucked if Eastwood is talking about Xmas 2018, lol!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Saw him at training today.

Status
Not open for further replies.