Official Greenberg vents frustration over off field incidents and vows crackdown.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/21...arent-living-up-to-partners-in-the-game-deal/

Greenberg vents frustrations at club CEOs and captains over off-field incidents

Brad Walter
NRL.com Senior Reporter
Mon 21 Jan 2019, 06:12 PM

Todd Greenberg vented his frustrations at the recent anti-social behaviour in the NRL to club CEOs and captains during an unprecedented phone hook-up on Monday, warning them about the damage these acts cause the game.

The NRL chief executive told them the series of off-field incidents was unacceptable and told them that any player found guilty of violence against women would face heavier sanctions than those previously handed down.

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith told fellow club captains that players weren't living up to their part of the deal in being partners in the game.

Greenberg also warned that players featuring in any inappropriate videos that became public - regardless of how old they were - and any player sharing inappropriate videos on supposedly private groups such as WhatsApp would also be sanctioned.

"To their credit, there were captains stepping off training paddocks and every single one of them jumped on the call, so it was really important," Greenberg said.

"I told them that I felt the last few months had been unbelievably damaging for the game and we should be better than we are.

"I said to them that this is not just my responsibility, I need all of your help. You guys need to go back to your clubs and speak to your players about expectation because what I have seen is just not good enough."

Many senior players are embarrassed about the negative headlines since the end of the first season under a new collective bargaining agreement between the RLPA and the NRL, which made the players partners in the game.

"Cameron Smith said this on the call today," Greenberg said. "He said 'a year ago I was actively involved with Todd to do the collective bargaining agreement and we have got a great deal, and we are partners. But we are not living up to our end of the bargain and we have got to be better.' I think he summed it up pretty well."

As a former Canterbury CEO, Greenberg is aware that players are likely to take more notice of their captains or coaches than club officials.

"We have some unbelievably talented and strong leaders across our clubs and I need their help," he said.

"I need them to stand up in front of their playing groups and call out behaviour that is not appropriate. Some of the things I have seen are just ridiculous, dumb and inappropriate.

"I need the senior players to call that out in their own squads and clubs and say that is not who we are as a game or a sport, and we are not going to stand by and see that happen."

Asked whether action could be taken over videos that were made public several years after they had been filmed, Greenberg said any player whose actions bought the game into disrepute faced sanction.

"If the game's brand gets damaged, whether it happens five minutes ago or five years ago and it is damaged because the players are doing the wrong thing or inappropriate things or dumb things and it gets out there will be consequences," he said.

"I also said to them that if you post something on a WhatsApp [or similar] group we will treat it exactly the same as if you post it on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram because the propensity for it to get out is almost certain.

"People are looking obviously as we are at who is distributing this information and there are laws in place for that but beyond that, and this is the message I gave to the players, don't look to blame others for who is sending this stuff out.

"Have some accountability yourselves and not video it in the first place and then don't put it in WhatsApp groups because at its very core it is dumb, it is immature, it is idiotic and it can be very damaging to you individually because you put your livelihood at risk and in the hands of other people, you damage the club you are playing for and importantly from where I sit you damage the game, and I am not going to stand around and let that happen."

Greenberg said the NRL would wait for players facing criminal charges to have their day in court, but if found guilty he promised the penalties would be tough.

"These are very serious criminal charges and if players are found guilty of those serious criminal charges they will face a significant time out of the game if ever playing again," he said.

"Violence against women and charges that relate to violence against women will take the very highest accountability so you can expect very big sanctions against that, and people who want to start comparing our sanctions against previous ones should probably start again because there is going to be a reset and we are going to get harder and we are going to get tougher."

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTS REGARDING DYLAN NAPA INCIDENT OUT OF THIS THREAD - THANK YOU.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So ... who do we have awaiting "judgement day"?
Jack Wighton - dealt with.
Greg Inglis - dealt with.
Scott Bolton - dealt with.
Mad Monday - dealt with.
Salmon (Parra) - dealt with
Jack De Belin - awaiting court.
Zane Musgrove - awaiting court.
Michael Chee-Kam - awaiting court?
Dylan Walker - awaiting court.
Jarryd Hayne - awaiting court.

Have I missed anyone who got arrested in the off season?

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
But Todd Greg Inglis got a letter of support from you personally but now he’s off the hook everyone else better lookout? Getting hard to support Nrl anymore and it’s not the players behaviour turning me off.

Also if a player does something inappropriate at another club 5 years ago is their new club supposed to pay the price if said player is suspended/sacked? Would the new club get there salary cap space back? Would their old club cop a fine?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Time to clean out the management group and start over. Greenberg has shown that he's just reacting to pressure. Decisive action was required on domestic violence back when the nrl started getting involved with the movement in videos a few years back. Since then a number of players have fucked up with little consequence. The horse bolted on this issue long ago. Seems like he's just now seeing that people aren't buying his bullshit.

He dug a big hole by taking a soft stand on too many incidents that needed to be dealt with. Going back to things like letting the Sharks escape any real penalty for using performance enhancing drugs. Things like giving referees unlimited chances to fix games while introducing punishment to coaches for daring to point out their shit performance. In my opinion he assumed that the fans are morons that he could baffle with bullshit and it's gotten to the point where he needs to be shown the door. It's our game and I don't want him in charge of it.

He's also overseen some moronic nee rules like blocking clubs from promotion of juniors who are excelling. Why? He's a shitstain on the game that doesn't deserve to be there.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, here's a hint! When you stop playing favorites with certain players and you treat them the same as anyone else, then and only then you will get players to take responsibility for their actions. Until then, it won't be too long before another incident occurs.....

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Todd, here's a hint! When you stop playing favorites with certain players and you treat them the same as anyone else, then and only then you will get players to take responsibility for their actions. Until then, it won't be too long before another incident occurs.....
Exactly

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Greenberg also warned that players featuring in any inappropriate videos that became public - regardless of how old they were.
I can see where this is going time to crucify the dogs bring the attention to us give a fine ,wait till everything else simmers down and forgotten about.

Great work Greenberg pressing issues your hitting there and old sex tape is horrendous but a drink driver is courageous.
Fuck i hope this game implodes and gets wiped from the face of the earth

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But Todd Greg Inglis got a letter of support from you personally but now he’s off the hook everyone else better lookout? Getting hard to support Nrl anymore and it’s not the players behaviour turning me off.

Also if a player does something inappropriate at another club 5 years ago is their new club supposed to pay the price if said player is suspended/sacked? Would the new club get there salary cap space back? Would their old club cop a fine?
Oh man, the hypocrisy makes me sick.
Only last week videos of Norman got excused because apparently he had already been sanctioned for them though I am pretty sure that was a whole different video (I saw the last one and it was far more incriminating that any of the others).
Greg Inglis is 'courageous for drink driving but sure, old flame head will cop the shit for 'bringing the game in to disrepute'.
Please.
It's time to go Greenburg, your reign of terror is over.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If only he bashed a woman a drink drove....

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of Todd but I know I am sick to death of all of the drama regarding players. It is really embarrassing calling myself an NRL fan, and a quite passionate one at that, with all of the domestic violence, alcohol and video dramas all of the damn time. It is really turning me off the game.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL The shit storm thats coming down on the nrl at the moment is of your own doing todd and its coming down because of the hypocrisy and inconsistency
in dealing with different clubs and players. Fuck you and Fuck the nrl

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ill see this plays out, im getting more excited about things ill be doing when footy season starts that doesn't involve footy

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Hope he does get a stint give some of our younger blokes to shine and when he comes back hel come into a winning team and only boost our chances. Bring back the dogs of war