Greenberg tried it

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the nrl initially tried to play favourites with emergency funding and another article from about the same time has Greenberg for unknown reasons offering his insight that we would be amongst the ones hurt the most during the crisis

I would like to suggest that we would have ended up on the wrong end of the emergency funding plan and we would lose ground in the fight to survive compared to other clubs

the nrl has always been desperate to relocate Sydney clubs so don't think they wont love if their least favourite Sydney clubs folded to be replaced by another Brisbane club lets say

march 24th:

The NRL’s plans to provide clubs with “differential” emergency funding to those most under threat of going broke has riled the richer clubs, who are threatening to take legal action if the proposal isn’t aborted.

All 16 teams receive the same level of funding, which is currently 130 per cent of the salary cap. However, the Herald revealed on March 14 that Rugby League Central would change tack due to the coronavirus to ensure the pandemic doesn’t wipe out the weaker clubs.

Those franchises who are confident of surviving the crisis believe it’s a case of weaker counterparts being rewarded for mismanaging their allocation of funds. It raises the prospect of a bitter legal battle at a time when there appeared to be a newfound unity among all stakeholders as they respond to the threat of COVID-19.

“We’ve had equal distributions for so long, so why should a club that is well run have to prop up those that aren’t?” one club powerbroker said.

“There is no way we are going to cop that. It’s not fair and I can see that being legally challenged if they favour some clubs over others.”

Only two clubs have regularly turned a profit before the coronavirus crisis, which has raised the spectre of some teams folding if play doesn’t resume quickly.

“We’re in a crisis, we’re all in a trench and we have to look after each other,” ARLC chairman Peter V’landys told the Herald earlier this month when asked about differential funding.

"In this situation, the first thing is to give the clubs some funding to keep them going. Then we will look at how we fund the clubs from there.

“There is going to have to be some differential funding as an option because we have limited resources and we have to ensure we spend them wisely. That’s one area we have to look at, there’s no doubt about that.”

then march 26th:

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg believes teams propped up by their respective leagues clubs will be the hardest hit by the coronavirus crisis.

That list includes some of the code's most storied franchises, led by Parramatta, Canterbury and Penrith.

There were initial fears that privately-owned clubs such as Manly and Gold Coast could suffer the most from the enforced suspension of the season.

But Greenberg had a different take on Fox League Mornings on Thursday.

"I actually think the clubs with the licensed clubs attached to them, despite them being some of our biggest clubs, they're the most vulnerable," Greenberg said.

"(Manly and Gold Coast) have access to private ownership, and so ultimately if it gets really dire, private ownership has the ability to help in its own way.

"But some of those licensed clubs, the big ones I'm talking about, who've been big parts of rugby league since its inception through to the NSWRL, they're all in all sorts of financial stress now because they're physically not open and can't trade."

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think Greenberg is wrong by saying clubs attached to leagues clubs will hurt due to the Rona - of course they will!
Equally I don't see how privately owned clubs are in a better position. Who's going to pour millions in in the current environment other than the governing body to save the sport?

Why do some believe Greenberg has it in for us?
He left the club to further his own career - it's not like he was fired or anything...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I don't think Greenberg is wrong by saying clubs attached to leagues clubs will hurt due to the Rona - of course they will!
Equally I don't see how privately owned clubs are in a better position. Who's going to pour millions in in the current environment other than the governing body to save the sport?

Why do some believe Greenberg has it in for us?
He left the club to further his own career - it's not like he was fired or anything...
people believe Greenberg has it in for us because Greenberg has it in for us

if you don't see how privately owned clubs are in a better position then why would Greenberg suggest it? (answer: he has it in for us)

btw he joined the club to further his own career, get it right

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

if you don't see how privately owned clubs are in a better position then why would Greenberg suggest it? (answer: he has it in for us)

Conspiracy theory. Greenberg was good for us and hasn't done anything to hurt us directly since moving on.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Can you explain why you believe that? Not just that you believe it, but why...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Conspiracy theory. Greenberg was good for us and hasn't done anything to hurt us since moving on.
its the truth, he wants us to fail so that we compare negatively to when he ran the club

his rule changes and reduction of the salary cap were done at times specifically designed to hurt us and his emotional support for Souths over the years against us is plain to see

his comments blaming ennis for being called out by a referee is a particular highlight as is his appearance next to the referee on the footy show to dissect the souths bulldogs game and to point out only when the bulldogs got an unfair advantage

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
its the truth, he wants us to fail so that we compare negatively to when he ran the club

his rule changes and reduction of the salary cap were done at times specifically designed to hurt us and his emotional support for Souths over the years against us is plain to see

his comments blaming ennis for being called out by a referee is a particular highlight as is his appearance next to the referee on the footy show to dissect the souths bulldogs game and to point out only when the bulldogs got an unfair advantage
You need to tell me the rule changes. Even then I doubt it was directed for/at us. More so the bigger picture.

Reduction of the salary cap? Or do you mean our club (Castle and Deb) jumping the gun to try and get an advantage roster/recruitment wise before anything was offical (and now everyone hates Des too when he was just doing what he was told)?

Emotional support for Souths? Allowing two players to medically retire when they wanted to mentally? Foran is the one who doesn't want to medically retire (or refuses to come to that decision right now).

I think you're looking for excuses why we're at where we are currently as a club but you're not looking at/for the wrong ones. It isn't Greenberg or the referees (not saying they're perfect but every team gets good and bad calls and over a season it's averaged out to be almost the same between them all).

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
have you got time? ok ill start writing it out for you in more detail
Of course mate, interested to hear your views. I may not end up agreeing with them, but interested nonetheless...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
first of all its natural human instinct to want to see your previous employers or partners not do so well once you are not involved anymore, with Greenberg who is obsessed with public perception it is everything

like I said he did everything he could to shit how the club was run previous to himself, even blaming his inability to get a major sponsor during the global financial crisis on the club

so now lets fast forward to his time at the nrl, the bulldogs coming into 2014 had a larger forward pack with eastwood, Pritchard, trex filling out the backrow and ennis playing 80 minutes, so any rule that limited rest periods could be described as hurting us more than most, interestingly the nrl brings in the 40/20 quick tap, the quick 20m restart tap and scrum/drop out shot clocks

fox sports actually used the bulldogs as an example of teams wasting time when explaining the need for scrum clocks, so that one at least is an anti bulldog rule

the 40/20 quick tap rule was abolished by Greenberg immediately after the bulldogs were the ones to benefit from it in a controversial moment against parramatta in 2014, so you have rules that could have been brought in to hurt us and being taken away when we benefit

the anti bulldog block play rule of 2013 has also been reduced since barba left and we don't run it anymore

now onto south Sydney emotional support at our expense, im sure any astute bulldog fan will have noticed this one

in 2014 against south Sydney ennis was all over them, and the referee called out ennis a few times to caution him about the team a few times, it was pretty standard stuff but the media was all over it on the weekend and Greenberg chimed in

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg has blasted Canterbury captain Michael Ennis and referee Gerard Sutton over their running battle at ANZ Stadium, claiming it is unacceptable for players to badger referees to get an unfair advantage.

“Let’s be clear — for penalties with no caution or warning, there will be no communication between the referee to the captain or any player,’’ Greenberg said yesterday. “Last night was unacceptable and not what I expect.

“That reminder has been communicated to the referees today through Tony Archer and players and clubs should also listen carefully to ensure they comply.

“It was disappointing they were not followed last night — players and referees are at fault. We cannot have players badgering the referees to get an unfair advantage.’’
i remember this incident because I hate Greenberg so much, 3 times ennis was called out by the referee when he was minding his own business and one of those times it was the bulldogs possession anyway so we are disadvantaged, but all that becomes ennis badgering the referee for an unfair advantage somehow

then during the grand final souths are allowed to receive extra emotional support by being able to ring their bell to get the crowd going and to further signal that this was their grand final to be won or that we were not just as special, clear cut favouritism

then in 2015 after our black Friday situation, he went on footy show to explain why the bulldogs got an unfair advantage from the referees and ignored all of the souths calls, its as if he had it in for us

other rule changes include reducing the proposed salary cap once the bulldogs had committed and creating a coaching staff salary cap when we had the expensive coaching staff, both times im sure to limit us specifically

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
What about all that coin in the pokies, can't they just smash open a couple of them? lol

And I'm no business man nor a tax accountant, but once all this is over aren't we more likely to recover quicker?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
oh and add that cup of coffee Greenberg had with burgess before suspending his $10k fine to the souths emotional support argument

whenever the bulldogs are up for fines greenbergs doesn't have coffee with us, $250k for having a traditional Mad Monday celebration and $20k for us being late a few minutes in the 2014 grand final

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
first of all its natural human instinct to want to see your previous employers or partners not do so well once you are not involved anymore, with Greenberg who is obsessed with public perception it is everything

like I said he did everything he could to shit how the club was run previous to himself, even blaming his inability to get a major sponsor during the global financial crisis on the club

so now lets fast forward to his time at the nrl, the bulldogs coming into 2014 had a larger forward pack with eastwood, Pritchard, trex filling out the backrow and ennis playing 80 minutes, so any rule that limited rest periods could be described as hurting us more than most, interestingly the nrl brings in the 40/20 quick tap, the quick 20m restart tap and scrum/drop out shot clocks

fox sports actually used the bulldogs as an example of teams wasting time when explaining the need for scrum clocks, so that one at least is an anti bulldog rule

the 40/20 quick tap rule was abolished by Greenberg immediately after the bulldogs were the ones to benefit from it in a controversial moment against parramatta in 2014, so you have rules that could have been brought in to hurt us and being taken away when we benefit

the anti bulldog block play rule of 2013 has also been reduced since barba left and we don't run it anymore

now onto south Sydney emotional support at our expense, im sure any astute bulldog fan will have noticed this one

in 2014 against south Sydney ennis was all over them, and the referee called out ennis a few times to caution him about the team a few times, it was pretty standard stuff but the media was all over it on the weekend and Greenberg chimed in

i remember this incident because I hate Greenberg so much, 3 times ennis was called out by the referee when he was minding his own business and one of those times it was the bulldogs possession anyway so we are disadvantaged, but all that becomes ennis badgering the referee for an unfair advantage somehow

then during the grand final souths are allowed to receive extra emotional support by being able to ring their bell to get the crowd going and to further signal that this was their grand final to be won or that we were not just as special, clear cut favouritism

then in 2015 after our black Friday situation, he went on footy show to explain why the bulldogs got an unfair advantage from the referees and ignored all of the souths calls, its as if he had it in for us

other rule changes include reducing the proposed salary cap once the bulldogs had committed and creating a coaching staff salary cap when we had the expensive coaching staff, both times im sure to limit us specifically
Nasheed here,
In 2014 their was a real tidal wave of red and green and it was great to see for us.

we had gone 30 years without a grand final appearance, been kicked out and not had a premiership for years beforehand. You can't take that from us.
Next time it will be the bulldogs day, I'm sure.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Todd's wrong and only thinking in the short term and thats part of the reason we are in this mess. Yes league club funded clubs are taking a hit in the short term, but long term they are more viable as they will be able to re group alot quicker. Also other clubs aren't as stable with billionaire owners eg Packer and Penn, as they can always walk away or run into a Tinkler scenario and what happens when they are gone.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course mate, interested to hear your views. I may not end up agreeing with them, but interested nonetheless...
Of course you will.
Just waiting for his opinion so you can disagree with it and be contrarian.