Green light for Bulldogs mass cleanout in Trent Barrett's first season

Malla

Reaction score
I just wanna know who gave the green light? They’re all off contract moley moley lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
HAHA False..
The Earth orbits around the stationery sun !!.
HAHA False ....
The sun isn't stationery, it orbits around the centre of the Milky Way galaxy, moving at 720,000 kph (almost as fast as my car).

Oh shit, I shouldn't post this, I'll be accused of being pedantic .................

Go Dogs

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the never ending rebuild

2023 new coach needs to rebuild

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
HAHA False ....
The sun isn't stationery, it orbits around the centre of the Milky Way galaxy, moving at 720,000 kph (almost as fast as my car).

Oh shit, I shouldn't post this, I'll be accused of being pedantic .................

Go Dogs
You might even get accused of being a toss haha

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
the never ending rebuild

2023 new coach needs to rebuild
That's what someone uneducated would say. The current timeline fits with what we were told during/after we got done for having players on the books well over the salary cap amount. I think it was possible to have a top 8 team for 2021 but the timing around swapping coaches didn't help as we pretty much wasted one year of recruitment (we were less attractive). The only thing we're missing that we must get now is a hooker (obviously other areas we can also upgrade, e.g. prop). If we F'd up our recruitment this year and next year we'd be in another rebuild (I really doubt this is going to happen from what I've seen, even if Barrett struggles as a coach he'll build a nice roster imo).

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
That's what someone uneducated would say. The current timeline fits with what we were told during/after we got done for having players on the books well over the salary cap amount. I think it was possible to have a top 8 team for 2021 but the timing around swapping coaches didn't help as we pretty much wasted one year of recruitment (we were less attractive). The only thing we're missing that we must get now is a hooker (obviously other areas we can also upgrade, e.g. prop). If we F'd up our recruitment this year and next year we'd be in another rebuild (I really doubt this is going to happen from what I've seen, even if Barrett struggles as a coach he'll build a nice roster imo).
ok keep this is the back of your mind, hopefully you remember our des hasler discussion from last year when you argued that manly werent going to be shit, so im currently 1-0 up on the scoreboard, you need this to get it back to level

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw im also still waiting on 2 premierships by 2019, the moral of the story is the club is terrible at timelines

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
ok keep this is the back of your mind, hopefully you remember our des hasler discussion from last year when you argued that manly werent going to be shit, so im currently 1-0 up on the scoreboard, you need this to get it back to level
I'm not sure what I exactly said so I bit hard to comment on. Manly were expected to be in and around the eight last year (maybe even higher, and again this year). Trbojevic being injured (and FAINU out) for the whole season didn't really help their cause, but the year before (2019) they played a lot better then they did last year with him not in the side. I remember saying Des did a lot better with the roster that Barrett built then what Barret did with it (again, not really sure what you're referring to exactly).

The 2 premierships were never going to come after we significantly went over the salary cap (losing most of our best players and we replaced a top coach with Dean Pay). You can blame the last admin for that (Castle and Dib). I think it was Andrew Hill that said pretty early on we're not going to be able to do anything until 2021 due to our salary cap position and fans still set unrealistic expectations (I'm not saying everything was still done perfectly).

Last edited:

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does any of these guys get resigned? I feel like chrichton and okunbor still have something to offer but I wouldn’t care the slightest to see the rest go
Okunbor has potential but his defence is terrible.he needs to use that big frame.he seems to lack confidence in defence.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d be keeping Ogden, Atoni , Okunbor and Meaney. The rest would have would have to show a lot more this year than they have previously to be any chance of another contract

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay out his contract and then release him
If that's possible that would be the best option. This should stil leave us with enough coin to upgrade Deitz into the top 30.

RobT

Mass debator
Reaction score
If that's possible that would be the best option. This should stil leave us with enough coin to upgrade Deitz into the top 30.
If you pay out his contract, it still has to be included in the salary cap. So it might leave a space numbers wise, but it won't give us any more 'coin'.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay out his contract and then release him
Can that be done?
Where's TT when you need him ;)
Right here 8-)

Paying him out would achieve absolutely nothing, he has an NRL contract for 2021 and the value of that contract is included in our Cap for 2021. Whether we pay him now, the balance of the contract, or we pay him weekly/monthly/fortnightly for the rest of the year (till 31st October) makes no difference. Same applies to the 30 player count, he has an NRL contract for 2021 and he is included in our 30 for 2021.

In Salary Cap terms when the cash is paid is irrelevant, the value that is in the Contract is all that matters.

FWIW we can't medically retire him, because he wants to keep playing, so he would never agree to it. Plus the NRL doctor wouldn't sign off on it either.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Right here 8-)

Paying him out would achieve absolutely nothing, he has an NRL contract for 2021 and the value of that contract is included in our Cap for 2021. Whether we pay him now, the balance of the contract, or we pay him weekly/monthly/fortnightly for the rest of the year (till 31st October) makes no difference. Same applies to the 30 player count, he has an NRL contract for 2021 and he is included in our 30 for 2021.

In Salary Cap terms when the cash is paid is irrelevant, the value that is in the Contract is all that matters.

Go Dogs
Thanks for the bad news :grinning:

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Right here 8-)

FWIW we can't medically retire him, because he wants to keep playing, so he would never agree to it. Plus the NRL doctor wouldn't sign off on it either.

Go Dogs
I understand the salary side of things. But don’t understand the player count of things. If we pay out his contract which would be part of the cap. But release him from his contract. Doesn’t that open a space with us????