Greats back Bulldogs to overcome odds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Greats back Bulldogs to overcome odds
August 15, 2005 - 8:45PM

Canterbury rugby league greats Terry Lamb and Steve Mortimer say history shows the injury-ravaged Bulldogs can overcome the odds and make the NRL grand final.

The Bulldogs are three points out of the top eight with three regular season rounds left after suffering their worst loss since 1935 last Friday night - a 56-4 thumping at Parramatta.

The defending premiers must win their last three games and rely on other results going their way to ensure they don't miss the finals altogether.

However, Bulldogs legends Lamb and Mortimer have not ruled out the current crop conjuring the spirit of 1979 and 1995 and making a premiership run.

Lamb - who holds the record for first grade games played - skippered the 1995 side that finished sixth in the regular season before going on to claim the premiership.

And Mortimer was part of the 1979 Dogs team that scraped into the then top five finals format and downed Wests, Cronulla and Parramatta before losing the final 17-13 to St George.

Lamb - who played 262 first grade games for the Dogs - said he saw "parallels" with the current team and his 1995 outfit.

"I still believe they can make the finals (this season)," Lamb said.

"If they put their heads together and they get into the eight, no one will stop them."

Lamb said it was time the recently re-signed Willie Mason stood up and "made a statement".

"Willie is now a senior player. He's been at the club five years now - he's just signed a new contract so he's got to stand up," he said.

"And we also have guys like Andrew Ryan, Tony Grimaldi, Corey Hughes - we've still got a good team out there.

"They've got to stand up and say `we can still make the semis', do what Newcastle is doing and play for each other."

Lamb said the Bulldogs would be unstoppable once they got their "mindset" right.

"They've got to play with the mindset that they can make the semis - they've got to throw caution to the wind, try not to commit too many errors and play their natural game," he said.

"The Bulldogs must believe they can control their own destiny.

"If they win their last three games they might just go bang straight into the eight and do something.

"The teams are so even these days. If they make the eight, they will get a few players back and when they are in a bit of form they can beat anyone on their day.

"They beat Brisbane a couple of weeks ago, and probably raised the bar for everyone that game."

Mortimer said the Bulldogs' plight reminded him of 1979.

"I still go back to my day in `79 we had our fingers crossed and got into the finals by Balmain beating Souths and we were able to go all the way into the premiership game," he said.

"At the end of the day their destiny is in their own hands.

"I 100 per cent believe the Bulldogs still have a chance, no matter how remote it is - if their heart is still pumping there is still a chance."

T

TdoggBulldog

If we pick up our act and results go our way, we can sneak in, but we really have to lift our game and get players back from injury!

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Lamb's 100% right with his outlook on what needs to be done if they have a chance... comes down to attitude....

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
they should know!! there both champs!!

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope theyre right and not suffering from the after-effects of 1 too many knocks to the head

ZeroTolerance

Just GO!!
Reaction score
Diehard Legends.

I bow in their presence.

I am in awe of their achievements.

Bulldog Immortals.

SBW

Kennel Established
Reaction score
comon dogs fire up and make the 8, everyone thinks that they can make it, so if they come out with the attitude that we can still make the 8, i got no doubt we can still make it!! go the dogz!!

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
we have to win this friday although it is a difficult match if they work together as a team dogs will win this friday.

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
the dogs still can but they have to really play hard this weekend and get a 13+ win to boost them

T

TdoggBulldog

Bek said:
the dogs still can but they have to really play hard this weekend and get a 13+ win to boost them
yes, we really need that confidence boost, we need boosting mentally, were tired... we want the season to be over but we shouldnt... we need to keep that trophy... although that seems impossible from this point!

PeaKer

Origin Rep
Reaction score
It starts this friday night. They have to start believing in their own ability again. A win against the Tigers & they will lift like never before. C'mon Dogs !!!

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
ZeroTolerance said:
Diehard Legends.

I bow in their presence.

I am in awe of their achievements.

Bulldog Immortals.
absolutely, i agree man. they know wat they are talking about & good to see terry lamb trying to inspire mason & the rest of the senior players.
The boys must be sick of this losing streak & will wanna beat the tigers. if we can then our confidence will lift. we need tpo win our last 3, man i pray we can do it.

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
We just simply don't have the players to make a charge.
It wont happen unless we can get some of our big names back this friday night.

Reaction score
crimsonsabre said:
NEVER KNOCK TERRY LAMB AND STEVE MORTIMER!! ESPECIALLY IN A DOGS FORUM! IF YOU WANNA GIVE THEM CRAP THAN YOU CAN **** OFF!!

Good on them for believing in our team, I hope we do make it, just to show all the haters around this place that said we have no hope of making it.

ZeroTolerance

Just GO!!
Reaction score
crimsonsabre said:
I see your back pr...k
Still making a C...t of yourself crimsonsabre
As if these Champions would be embarrased by these comments. check your history- try 1995 D...k H...d
I speak for all Willie Mason fans when I say
crimsonsabre Fu..K O..F you C..ck S...cker

Status
Not open for further replies.