Greatful Okunbor our to regain trust

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grateful for being able to make an NRL return which he doubted would happen earlier this year, Jayden Okunbor is determined to regain trust and repair his reputation.

Okunbor and former Bulldogs teammate Corey Harawira-Naera were deregistered in April following a pre-season scandal involving inappropriate behaviour after a high school coaching clinic, but won an appeal in July to have their contracts reinstated.

The towering winger scored a try in his comeback on Friday night, a loss to Manly at ANZ Stadium.

Okunbor worked as a landscaper with Harawira-Naera while he was stood down and said the experience went "a long way in humbling me ... It scared me I guess".

"There were some dark days where I sort of said I'm not coming back [to the NRL], but when the opportunity came and the club said they wanted me back I just sort of jumped at it," Okunbor said.

The 23-year-old posted a public apology on Instagram two months ago, saying he doesn't "condone my behaviour nor do I believe that it is a true reflection of the person I am" and he wanted "nothing more" than to earn the respect of fans.

Okunbor was initially so distraught he couldn't bring himself to watch more than 10 minutes of Canterbury's games on TV at the start of the season and mostly stayed in his bedroom.

He lauded family, friends and teammates for their support.

"They've just been awesome for me. They got me through all the dark days. One of the boys in the team, James Roumanos, he was there from day one," Okunbor said.

"We've been close and his family sort of took me in there for a little bit, just inviting me over for dinners and that, looking after me, and I can't thank them enough.

"Just Mum, Dad [helped me]. My brother's overseas but he was ringing me every day just to get me through things."

Okunbor had feared he would be shunned by the Bulldogs.

"The boys … as soon as it all happened, they all reached out to me and said that they've got my back, they'd do anything they can to get me back in the team," he said.

"I'm forever grateful for that. It was massive. When it all happened I didn't think they'd want to talk to me, but I think it shows the character of the club and the boys."

Upon returning to training after his time out, Okunbor made a point to apologise to the squad without being prompted.

"I was pretty close to breaking down in front of everyone," he said.

"There was just a lot of people that I had to apologise to and I wanted to get that out of the way on my first day and just try and move on."

While Harawira-Naera chose to leave mid-season for a fresh start in Canberra after being cleared to resume his career, Okunbor was always keen to work his way back into favour at the Bulldogs.

"Me and Corey are in different positions and he did what was right for him and I've done what was right for me," he said.

We speak pretty regularly ... We've got a good friendship there and I think we'll be friends for life."

Okunbor believes his decision-making has improved following the introspection that came from his turmoil.

"I know I'm privileged to be in this position and I can't make stupid mistakes like that ever again," he said.

"My big thing is if Mum would be embarrassed by it, don't do it."

It was his mother, Donna, who motivated Okunbor to start viewing matches again and maintained hope of a second chance.

"Mum kept telling me, 'You've got to be optimistic, it could work out for you so you can't just give up and not watch it, because you might be back there and you've got to know what you're doing'," he said.

"That's when it turned around."

And when he received the news that his exile was over, "I broke down. I went and told my Aunty, she broke down.

"Rang Mum, we just all broke down. I think me and Corey were the first ones to get it overturned ever, so we had hope but we didn't want to get our hopes too high."

Now, after feeling like he was "debuting again" last round, Okunbor wants to prove his true character.

"I just want to be a good person," he said.

"I sort of felt like I was a pretty good role model before all this stuff happened and I sort of just want to build my reputation back up and gain people's trust again and not let them down ever again."

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Stay true to your word Jayden.
Don’t put the club or yourself in jeopardy again.
You were pretty decent on Friday night.
With some good coaching and focus who knows what’s possible. Good luck.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He gave it a good go on Friday, definitley makes the team ahead of Montoya and Holland
Nasheed here,
Why do you have to throw their names in here unnecessarily?
Okenbor is a winger on a path of redemption.
Why are you taking about centres?
What's Holland done to get your hate?

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Fuck off back to Souths you dumbass. Holland is shit just like you and your opinions!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still think he has what it takes to be star worthy, maybe he can go to another level with another coach
I tipped him to have a realy big year. Its a shame he missed most of it. I hope he can help us win just 1 more gsme this year. A massive year next year would be great.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Montoya is a winger is he not? And if holland is in the team then reimis or dwz goes to wing which pushes okenbour out all together. And since the aim is to win the game with the best players on the park my preference would be for him to be in the team. I don’t hate any player, just a matter of performance

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone can say SORRY as it's just a word but best way to prove that you are actually sorry for what you have done is to earn your trust back with your team mates and your loyal supporters by showing if on and off the field matey. Respect to you, for taking the first few steps by staying and wanting to earn back everyones trust (unlike some clown who fled to Canberra) fingers crossed that you are serious Jayden and all the best matey ,,, passion and love for the jersey is what we need playing for our club ... Up the DOGGIESSS!!!

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone can say SORRY as it's just a word but best way to prove that you are actually sorry for what you have done is to earn your trust back with your team mates and your loyal supporters by showing if on and off the field matey. Respect to you, for taking the first few steps by staying and wanting to earn back everyones trust (unlike some clown who fled to Canberra) fingers crossed that you are serious Jayden and all the best matey ,,, passion and love for the jersey is what we need playing for our club ... Up the DOGGIESSS!!!
Baby steps but showed he has some ticker last week, see how he goes still a long way to go but yes agree he didn't do a runner like some in the past ahem Barber, SBW, CHW to name a few

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Stay true to your word Jayden.
Don’t put the club or yourself in jeopardy again.
You were pretty decent on Friday night.
With some good coaching and focus who knows what’s possible. Good luck.
Club first,team mates second,individual third