• Hazem El Masri

Votes: 14 21.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the vibe that hodko is like the Mortimer today and reynolds like the lamb today. But obviously not being able live upto what Mortimer and lamb could provide
With due respect, absolutely NOT! No way is Hodko similar to Mortimer!!!
Its like comparing a family van to a Porsche.
Along with Steve Morris, Mortimer is the fastest halfback I've ever seen over any distance up to 100m.
He could run down wingers, score 100m tries, chip over the top and regather.
Go to you tube and check for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4RaVXJr99c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-07em8kNvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNrMk34vE8

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because of what hes done on and off the field and what he had to go through after 9/11 and still preform at the highest level and be respected and looked up to. what happens off the field is just as important as what happens on it, if not more.

For me as a player baa hands down. but the complete package el masri no question.
What was his involvement in 9/11

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Turvey and baa baa can't be separated in my opinion
I saw them start and finish their careers with the dogs
Both different styles both absolute freaks, if you missed these guys play you missed something special

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In high school for an English speech we had to talk for 5 minutes about our hero and I spoke about Terry Lamb. At the end I got a standing ovation for it. He was a hero to all of my Bulldog supporting generation.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With due respect, absolutely NOT! No way is Hodko similar to Mortimer!!!
Its like comparing a family van to a Porsche.
Along with Steve Morris, Mortimer is the fastest halfback I've ever seen over any distance up to 100m.
He could run down wingers, score 100m tries, chip over the top and regather.
Go to you tube and check for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4RaVXJr99c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-07em8kNvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNrMk34vE8
I said it wrong I was tying to say hodko is meant to be like the organiser and shit like Mortimer was and Reynolds the support player and unpredictable one as his been compared to lamb before. But Obviously comparing Trent and Reynolds to the 2 legends is far fetched I was trying to find a resemblance with their principal of play I guess

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
30 is not old enough to remember les johns
You're right! Les Johns was before my time but he would definitely be in the top echelon of doggies players. It doesn't get mentioned in the press that much but he's the uncle of Andrew Johns.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said it wrong I was tying to say hodko is meant to be like the organiser and shit like Mortimer was and Reynolds the support player and unpredictable one as his been compared to lamb before. But Obviously comparing Trent and Reynolds to the 2 legends is far fetched I was trying to find a resemblance with their principal of play I guess
No worries but it does highlight the severe limitations of our current halves. Compared to Mortimer, Hodko has no running game, rarely creates a break or set up a try. His only positive over Mortimer is his goal kicking.
Compared to Lamb, Reynolds has poor defence, poor discipline and does not position himself as a support player to regularly finish off line breaks.
The dogs glory years in the 80's were due to great a forward pack and great halves who could attack and defend.
Mortimer the brilliant attacking halfback with superb cover defence and who could create and direct the team, and Lamb with strong front on defence and the best support player in the game who ensured line breaks often ended in tries. It was a perfect halves combination.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bullfrog off the field and baa baa on the field. Special mentions to anderson , folkes and price.

Thats a good call. Without Peter Moore, the rest might not have happened.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right! Les Johns was before my time but he would definitely be in the top echelon of doggies players. It doesn't get mentioned in the press that much but he's the uncle of Andrew Johns.

Holy shit - you mention Les Johns! Awesome!
Is that true? About Uncle of Andrew?
Talk about brilliance in the blood.

nikgan123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm a 90 boy as well no1 had the same effect on me like El Masri but in today's game he'd get smashed too small for a winger these days. Greatst goal kicker though not matter what era you put him in for goal kicking he will eat anyone.
In the modern game he could be a fullback he is a great player I wouldn't be suprised if he played that position if he played nowadays

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
100% agree. Mortimer is the single reason I became a dogs fan in the mid late 70's.
Almost 40 years of watching footy and Steve Mortimer is the best doggies player by some margin. Absolute match winner.

Judging by the poll most of the fans here must have been after the Mortimer era. Lamb was a great support player backing up a break made by another player. Mortimer was the one who would create the break or score brilliant solo tries through his amazing speed.

Dogs have won 8 grand finals in 80 years, half of which were in Mortimer's 12 years at the dogs.

Blistering acceleration off the mark, he was pretty much the fastest player in the comp over 50 meters along with Steve Morris (father of BMoz/JMoz).
Trademark chip over the top and regather
Sensational trademark cover defence to run down flying wingers and tackle them over the sideline. Even more incredible considering he was covering extra ground by starting from the centre of the field.

There was a video on youtube that unfortunately was taken down but in that clip the legendary commentator Frank Hyde and Bob Fulton both said Mortimer was the best halfback they've ever seen (this was in the late 80's). Also our current coach Hasler was quoted in the papers back in the late 80's when playing for Manly sharing that view.

If you haven't seen any footage of turvey there's still a few videos on you tube.

If Mortimer played in this current team we would have won the last 3 grand finals easily.
I will never forget his cover defence on a rampaging Eric Grothe..three times (from memory!)he knocked the bigger man down in the one run.. Grothe didn't get up the third time..just awesome! Ps I remember being dirty that he didn't get the inaugural Churchill medal in 1986..it went to Sterlo..I was justified the next day when the paper gave Turvey the man of the match!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you young guys could only see some of the things that Les Johns did on the football field he would be one of the options. I remember (at Belmore) once he took a drop-out by the opposition on the full and ran back at the other side while obviously calling players to run off him. He turned his back, dummied to both of them, and just took off. Scored under the posts. Wow!
Was an unbelievable player for the club and I cried the day he retired due to injury.Like a lot of the other old timers on this page ( no offence) I remember the times he was last man standing and pulled off some amazing tackles to prevent a try and the way he seemed to dance around the opposition and take off with an amazing turn of speed. As a young girl at the time I used to think he was "hot" but his footballing ability also earned him admiration.I guess it all has to do with the era of football we grew up in so it is a bit unfair to just restrict this list of greats to more recent times.
I must admit that Baa and Turvey are also high on my list as players and definitely Bullfrog as an administrator.

N

Natboy

Turvey still looks pretty fit and Baa is on lite n easy. Hodkinson better increase his involvement and improve his attacking options

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Turvey still looks pretty fit and Baa is on lite n easy. Hodkinson better increase his involvement and improve his attacking options
Lol. Comeback on the cards you reckon?

WestieDog

Zambuck
Reaction score
Yep same. Both amazing players but Turvey's off-field work pushed him over the line for me
Turvey bled blue-and-white like nobody else. I loved him as a player, but his passion for the Dogs set him on a higher plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.