Rumour Grant decides on his future ( Melbourne)

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a breakout 2020 season that saw him awarded with the Rugby League Player’s Association ‘Rookie of the Year’ award, Harry Grant’s stocks have well and truly risen.

In the first deal of its kind, the 22-year-old Hooker was loaned out to the Wests Tigersthis year by his parent club Melbourne.

However, with the loan deal completed and ambiguity surrounding where the Rockhampton product will call home next season, Grant voiced his intentions publicly on Tuesday.

Speaking with 7NEWS Brisbane reporter Chris Garry in the heart of the Queensland Origin camp, Grant claimed that his time as a Tiger was up.

Following a query about whether AAMI Park or Leichhardt Oval would be home in 2021, Grant had this to say: “Back down to Melbourne, Mate,” Grant told Garry.

“I’ll let them enjoy the next few days after winning the Grand Final and then see what the plan is for pre-season.”

Although there is still uncertainty surrounding Cameron Smith’s future in Melbourne, Grant’s comments look to have signaled the likelihood of Smith calling it a day.

Grant has a ‘get-out-clause’ in his contract that would be triggered should Smith continue with Melbourne in 2021, however, this now looks unlikely.

Smith is yet to speak publicly about his future following his team’s Premiership triumph on Sunday, but if Grant’s conviction is anything to go by, then we may all have witnessed the 430 game champion’s final hurrah.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Basically what he has to say. If C. Smith plays on I think he'll leave the Storm. The only reason why he'd leave if C. Smith retires is the money difference between Storm and rival clubs offers. While under contract, if I was the Storm, I wouldn't let him go under any circumstances. The best player to build a club around currently in the NRL (probably besides Cleary). Go hard for B. Smith.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that's that then doubt we can get the kiwi smith as well maybe we can jag starling maybe

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck Grant and B. Smith, if they choose to stay with the Storm so be it either of them aint a pube on C. Smiths ballsack and neither will reach his heights nor accolades! Speaks volumes about the Storms succession planning having three gun hookers in the side, Slater retires and they have two gun fullbacks to cover him, Cooper Cronk leaves and have a ready made halfback in Hughes and Munster, like I said it speaks volumes of their succession planning, however, it reeks of salary cap rorting also!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With no Bellamy or CSmith plus their CEO is off to the Donkeys, should be interesting.

Go Dogs
Think it's even more of a reason for them to keep their best players there. Can't see either of them leaving.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With no Bellamy or CSmith plus their CEO is off to the Donkeys, should be interesting
Think it's even more of a reason for them to keep their best players there. Can't see either of them leaving.
More of a reason for players not to choose Melbourne initially and most importantly not to renew at “cheap” rates.

Go Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck Grant and B. Smith, if they choose to stay with the Storm so be it either of them aint a pube on C. Smiths ballsack and neither will reach his heights nor accolades! Speaks volumes about the Storms succession planning having three gun hookers in the side, Slater retires and they have two gun fullbacks to cover him, Cooper Cronk leaves and have a ready made halfback in Hughes and Munster, like I said it speaks volumes of their succession planning, however, it reeks of salary cap rorting also!
Thats what I hope to see the dogs doing again soon!! Its easy to hate the storm, but theres no denying their quality.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cant believe cam still hasn’t announced what hes doing so bizarre

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I guess he didn't want his decision to over take from their GF Win and leading into Origin.

My guess is he told the boys in the first Huddle before kick off his decision and we will know post Origin.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It is unusual, but the guy is ultra professional, he would be waiting until the emotion of winning a comp subsides to make a clear decision, the bloke is just that intelligent... but surely, you go out a champion

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On one side it is bizarre, but if you look deeper at it perhaps there's more to it?

I mean, it's not just about him making a decision, is it? Whatever he decides directly impacts 2 other top players at the glub in Smith & Grant.

Now, I'd imagine if he were leaving then there wouldn't be much to talk about in regard to the other two as they'd be seeing out their contracts and staying at the Storm. And that case I'd expect him to give his decision immediately after the final. Especially when looking at finishing on a high.

However, if he's deciding to stay on then it complicates things a lot as there now Grant & Smith thinking where they stand. There's A LOT more negotiations behind the scene and C Smith isn't going to announce anything about him staying until it's certain about the other two. No doubt the Storm would be pushing for another loan deal for Grant for example, though not too sure how willing he'd be to take up that option?

Either way, it seems more likely to me anyway that he's staying on and the club now is scrambling to make sure the other two guys are tied down to the Storm. The public won't hear anything from C Smith until the futures of Grant & B Smith are resolved ... imo

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don’t see much difference for BSmith if CSmith stays or goes. In either case Grant and BSmith will want to know their future well before they negotiate any contract or any extensions or releases. My view is if CSmith stays then Grant will be the back up hooker and BSmith will be the bench forward. If CSmith goes then Grant will be the hooker and BSmith will be the bench forward.

Also worth keeping in mind that BSmith is 2 years older than Grant and at 25 next season he is prime age for an NRL hooker. So if he wants earn “hooker money” then he needs to be playing hooker. The way I see it what CSmith does is irrelevant to that.

Go Dogs

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just goes to show how arrogant the bloke really is. Yes he’s an awesome player but the team should always come first.

People will argue that he has the right to decide when he wants blah blah but I’d be wanting to leave behind a legacy that includes helping setup the team for success after I left especially if his decision affects two other gun players.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just goes to show how arrogant the bloke really is. Yes he’s an awesome player but the team should always come first.

People will argue that he has the right to decide when he wants blah blah but I’d be wanting to leave behind a legacy that includes helping setup the team for success after I left especially if his decision affects two other gun players.
Hes still clearly at the top of his game and clearly better than those 2. Melbourne are waiting for him, they can easily ask him to hurry up but they arent going do that. They are giving him the time to decide because they are hoping he stays. I dont get how he can be seen as arrogant, and even if he is arrogant, hes the greatest player the game has seen.