Gould shoots down Bulldogs coaching rumour (6 Tackles)

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
of course he hasn't just yet. He's seeing if Potter can do the job
You may be right, but a smart operator like Gus will always have a Plan B. If Barrett was fired, gus would have had a replacement lined up before it happened. If Barrett really did resign (and a $500.000 golden handshake says he didn't) then Mick Potter might well have been his Plan B.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
From the Twitter thread ..............

Five weeks after Trent Barrett suddenly quit as Canterbury coach, Phil Gould insists he still hasn't spoken to a single candidate to fill the position.

The Bulldogs have hit a mid-year resurgence of sorts, winning two games in a row under interim head coach Mick Potter before this week's bye round.

But the club is supposedly no closer to securing a permanent coach, despite the logical conclusion that one will need to be in place before November, when the players return for pre-season training.

Gould, in his role as the club's football manager, is tasked with finding and appointing the new coach.

But he says he hasn't even started the hunt.

"I keep saying this - I haven't spoken to anyone, nor am I going to speak to anyone in the immediate future," a defiant Gould told Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"We're trying to get our club right so that when I do ask someone they say 'yes' immediately, because they can see what we're doing.

"We've got a lot of things to fix up. A lot of things.

"It's going to be great. Bulldogs are a big club, it's a great club. I know it's been down for a long time but it's going to turn around, I promise you.

"It's not going to happen overnight. I don't want to be going out and asking coaches and them going, 'I don't know, it will be too hard'."

The man everyone seems to be chasing is Penrith assistant Cameron Ciraldo. The Wests Tigers - who sacked Michael Maguire earlier this month - have reportedly tabled a five-year offer to Ciraldo.

A News Corp report this week claims the Bulldogs won't try to compete with the Tigers, and will instead go after Kristian Woolf.

Woolf is coaching St Helens in the Super League, as well as the Tonga national side that is preparing to take on New Zealand this week. Woolf will then turn his attention to leading Tonga's World Cup campaign in October.

The 46-year-old is highly rated, is putting together a sparkling CV in the UK Super League and is reported to be one of the top targets to take the Warriors job for 2023 in the wake of Nathan Brown's resignation.

Gould was asked directly by podcast host Mat Thompson whether he is chasing Woolf or not.

"I have not spoken to anyone about coaching the Bulldogs. The only one I spoke to was Mick Potter the day after Trent Barrett resigned, and said 'Mate can you help us out for the rest of the season'," Gould said.

"As I said to that stupid bloke Paul Gallen on 100% Footy the other night... I said 'I'm going to give you the truth - it might not be the truth that you want'.

"People don't like the truth if it doesn't suit their cause or agenda. The truth is I'm not talking to anyone. We're getting on with our job."

Always a Bulldog

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at it, our Roster is settled for next year so I guess the rush is not there. But I would say by the end of the season it will be in place ready for pre season. We just can’t afford to lose Burton. Think he can test the market November 1... he will demand $800k +

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he wants the club to be more attractive to a certain coach then I guess that rules out Flano who'se already put his hand up and seems desperate. I think he could be wanting a current NRL coach like Payten who'se available for 2024. Wish it was Bellamy. If Potter gets extended for another yer then I guess we'll know and no wonder he's in no hurry

Last edited:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
They gotta be sick of asking. All he ever says is he hasn't spoken to anyone yet.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I tend to agree, we need to be an attractive place for any prospective coach to come to. With Mahoney and Kikau coming next year I think we will be.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's surprising that the new coach hasn't been leaked yet. Credit to Gus for running a tight ship. Nobody saw Kikau coming until they annouced it and so it is with the new coach. Looks like we're going to have to wait until September to find out

It's annoying for the fans as I'm dying to know who the coach is but it's laughable that Gus expects people to believe that crap about not having spoken to a coach yet. Please. The reason people keep asking him every week is because nobody is buying his BS

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's surprising that the new coach hasn't been leaked yet. Credit to Gus for running a tight ship. Nobody saw Kikau coming until they annouced it and so it is with the new coach. Looks like we're going to have to wait until September to find out

It's annoying for the fans as I'm dying to know who the coach is but it's laughable that Gus expects people to believe that crap about not having spoken to a coach yet. Please. The reason people keep asking him every week is because nobody is buying his BS
The more this goes on worries me its freddy‍♂

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Initially I was worried about Shitler too but I just can't see Gus appointing a Rorters legend to coach the Dogs. It would be like appointing Sterlo to coach us. It's just wrong on every level. I can't see Gus doing that to us
It’s not Fitler....why would he give up his cushy origin job and channel 9 gig? I think it will be Potter but hasn’t been announced because Potter wants some time to see whether he would feel comfortable coaching longterm

Reidunit101

New Pup
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s a coincidence or not but Flanagan follows 5 bulldog pages and only follows a couple nrl club pages .. might be reading to much into it but who knows… just find it weird that he come out publicly and said he was going to ring Gould to get the ball rolling and Gould says no one has applied or made contact … I know everyone has an opinion and we could all totally be wrong but something doesn’t add up, like a few comments have been he may be waiting so the candidate doesn’t get swamped

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't want his mates from Penrith or Roosters at the moment Harry is da man and Flanagan or Ennis his assistant with JMoz the trainer.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think there’s still movement in the player market and it’s important a coach is announced, I’m sure Gus knows who he wants/it is, just keeping tight lipped at the moment.