News GOULD SET TO KEEP FAITH IN BULLDOGS OUTCAST

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
GOULD SET TO KEEP FAITH IN BULLDOGS OUTCAST

New Bulldogs director of football Phil Gould is set to offer exiled halfback Kyle Flanagan the chance to prove he can be in the club’s long-term plans next season, according to The Daily Telegraph.

Flanagan was signed on a three-year deal which expires in 2023 by head coach Trent Barrett after he was shown the door by the Roosters last season.

However the 22-year-old has played just 10 games in his first season at Belmore as Barrett has preferred Jake Averillo as his No.7 for the majority of the year.

Flanagan’s lack of game time has fuelled reports the club is trying to offload him to an NRL rival or the Super League and were willing to chip in to see him play at another club.

However Gould reportedly wants to see how Flanagan fares playing behind a much improved forward pack next season, according to The Daily Telegraph.

The club have been busy in the transfer market and have acquired former Broncos enforcer and current short-term Panthers forward Tevita Pangai Jr, while former Dragons player Paul Vaughan has also been linked with the club.

The Bulldogs have also signed backline stars Josh Addo-Carr, Brent Naden and Matt Dufty, which makes their 2022 prospects much brighter.

Flanagan has scored six tries and 266 points in 39 NRL games since his debut for the Sharks in 2018 and was solid behind a strong Roosters forward pack in 20 games in 2020.

The knock on Flanagan is that he doesn’t challenge the line enough with his running game, which is believed to be why Trent Robinson cut short his stay at the Roosters.

However playmakers rarely find their feet in the NRL until their mid-20s so time is on Flanagan’s side and Gould may just back himself to help the halfback blossom in a stronger team next season.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan is the best option going forward next to burton. Wait and see..
Is that your personal opinion Sleepy dog or do you have some mail saying he'll be partnering Burton in the halves at the start of next year?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion but I'm glad he's staying ... I don't want us to be the roosters using and abusing players. The Bulldogs use to make ordinary players better, it's time we make that happen again.
I'm with you.
We signed the kid for 3 years, and told the kid it was his team and we will build a team around him

The kid has to be given 3 years as contracted.

He needs the opportunity to earn his spot and see out his contract.

He needs to be coached and do what he is coached to do.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why not play him the rest of this year then? Seems strange to put him on ice if they are going to be giving him a shot next year.
might be tomorrow, flanno back 7 and averillo to 6.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
might be tomorrow, flanno back 7 and averillo to 6.
That would make sense if there’s truth to this. We aren’t getting wins with the current halves and there’s little point playing someone who won’t be here next year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is that your personal opinion Sleepy dog or do you have some mail saying he'll be partnering Burton in the halves at the start of next year?
In theory it was supposed to be our best option, Burton and Flanagan, but Flanagan's failed in the practical side of it.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan is the best option going forward next to burton. Wait and see..
I’d like to give BBO 1 whole game at 7 before trying flanno again. My bet is he’ll stay there after that.

I do think flanno can be a decent half but he’s had 10 games for us and he was terrible in every one of them, maybe round 1 he was ok. And he was just a terrible if not more in reggies.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The kid has a bad attitude of entitlement. It’s why he got his manager involved in talks with Barrett and the club after he got dropped. Ever since then it seems to me he’s been on the nose with Barrett. Can’t see a future for him at the club unless Gus had a soft spot for him.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m not a Flanagan lover by any means. But let’s be honest. His last game was against the eagles after missing 5-6 games after he was hooked. Then he was dropped again.

That was the same game we were missing 11 players through injury or suspension. So bit harsh to get judged on that performance (our forwards looked like they were running in quicksand up against a team that was on absolute fire)

Flanno has glaring holes in his game. From front on defence, to lack of creativity, to his unwillingness to run. But Lewis is not the answer. And we will be a worse team if we get honey dicked into re-signing him again.

Unfortunately we are severely lacking at fullback, halfback and hooker. And we have no one within that can fill the roles. And even more unfortunate no one really on the market either.

I’d much rather give flanno a go with a full squad and see how things go, rather then giving any more chances to Lewis. I’m sure a few on here the lengths I’m willing to go to to make sure he is gone:expressionless:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis isn't the answer but Flannagan is less so that has been proven so far....difference being one is contracted for another 2 years.Highly doubt he will be any good BBO looks to be potentially the future so needs to get a crack at it asap.