Gould Blows up, runs Training session

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They clearly know 9 is a problem hence the Mahoney signing so why not try someone else or at very least why play jmk for 75 minutes while bbo or whoever gets 6 minutes. How is bbo going to get game fitness only playing 6 minutes every week. It’s a waste of bench spot and dumb
Fair point. I can only guess that Baz thinks he has the most experience with several of the pack, hence picking him to try and at least give us some wins, but I'd be happy for them to try Cook.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ve been waiting for rent a quote Laundy to emerge

Finally has spoken

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What I found odd in the original story was the apparent admission from Trent sometimes he and Gus ‘speak ten times a day’. That doesn’t seem like a normal Coach/GM relationship to me, what drives that?
10 times a day is many times an hour in a day. I thought it odd too. Was probably just Barrett deflecting though

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs chairman on Phil Gould-Trent Barrett power shift.

Canterbury chairman John Khoury has addressed talk of a power struggle between Phil Gould and Trent Barrett.

Canterbury chairman John Khoury has fired back at detractors of his under-fire general manager of football, Phil Gould, declaring: “He’s not doing anything behind anyone’s back.”

“We have to respect his leadership - I don’t see what the problem is,” Khoury said. “He has my full support.”

Gould assumed the heading coaching role at Belmore on Wednesday, controlling a team meeting and then taking over a field session.

It consigned coach Trent Barrett to a background role.

The Daily Telegraph sent Gould a text on Thursday seeking comment but his response of “no thanks” was accompanied with a laughing emoji.

Gould intervened after Canterbury lost six successive matches and sit outright last on the NRL competition ladder – despite the club’s big off-season recruitment drive.

“He’s not doing anything behind anyone’s back,” Khoury said. “It’s within the football club with football club staff.

“Phil’s track record speaks for itself and that’s why he is there. I would argue he’s the most qualified person in rugby league.

“We have to respect his leadership and he has my full support. We are all under pressure because we’re not winning, right?

“And they (Gould and Barrett) both want to win, like all of us, and they are working hard to do that.

“Phil is the head of football, that’s his job, to be involved in the football department. I don’t see what the problem is.”

Khoury denied any simmering internal tension between Gould and Barrett.

“Trent loves him, Trent loves him. I wasn’t there (at training) but I know they work well together. They are professionals, mate,” Khoury said.

“Phil runs the football department and I know he has a close relationship with Trent.

“It’s not the position of a board or director to get operationally involved in the day-to-day running of football operations.

“There is nothing more for me to say.”

Former Bulldogs premiership-winning star Braith Anasta said this week that the club had “gone backwards” under Gould and Barrett.

Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton preferred not comment. As of late Thursday, Gould – prolific on Twitter - had kept essentially quiet on social media.

His only post, in response to a question, read: “As long as they are bagging me, they are leaving someone else alone. That is a bonus.”

Canterbury play the Sydney Roosters this Saturday afternoon at Accor Stadium.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs chairman on Phil Gould-Trent Barrett power shift.

Canterbury chairman John Khoury has addressed talk of a power struggle between Phil Gould and Trent Barrett.

Canterbury chairman John Khoury has fired back at detractors of his under-fire general manager of football, Phil Gould, declaring: “He’s not doing anything behind anyone’s back.”

“We have to respect his leadership - I don’t see what the problem is,” Khoury said. “He has my full support.”

Gould assumed the heading coaching role at Belmore on Wednesday, controlling a team meeting and then taking over a field session.

It consigned coach Trent Barrett to a background role.

The Daily Telegraph sent Gould a text on Thursday seeking comment but his response of “no thanks” was accompanied with a laughing emoji.

Gould intervened after Canterbury lost six successive matches and sit outright last on the NRL competition ladder – despite the club’s big off-season recruitment drive.

“He’s not doing anything behind anyone’s back,” Khoury said. “It’s within the football club with football club staff.

“Phil’s track record speaks for itself and that’s why he is there. I would argue he’s the most qualified person in rugby league.

“We have to respect his leadership and he has my full support. We are all under pressure because we’re not winning, right?

“And they (Gould and Barrett) both want to win, like all of us, and they are working hard to do that.

“Phil is the head of football, that’s his job, to be involved in the football department. I don’t see what the problem is.”

Khoury denied any simmering internal tension between Gould and Barrett.

“Trent loves him, Trent loves him. I wasn’t there (at training) but I know they work well together. They are professionals, mate,” Khoury said.

“Phil runs the football department and I know he has a close relationship with Trent.

“It’s not the position of a board or director to get operationally involved in the day-to-day running of football operations.

“There is nothing more for me to say.”

Former Bulldogs premiership-winning star Braith Anasta said this week that the club had “gone backwards” under Gould and Barrett.

Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton preferred not comment. As of late Thursday, Gould – prolific on Twitter - had kept essentially quiet on social media.

His only post, in response to a question, read: “As long as they are bagging me, they are leaving someone else alone. That is a bonus.”

Canterbury play the Sydney Roosters this Saturday afternoon at Accor Stadium.
“We have to respect his leadership - I don’t see what the problem is,” Khoury said. “He has my full support. ..

The kiss of death!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
‘I don’t see what the problem is,” Khoury said. ‘He has my full support’.
And there it is folks…:-).
I know JK was talking about Gus not Baz but once the ‘full support’ comment drops usually the opposite is true. Why did JK even comment? Just adding oxygen to the fire. Wharby was smart by saying ‘no comment’.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Last time Gould took over a training session from his coach was the Roosters in 2002 when Roosters started the season with a 1-5 record.
Roosters went on to win the comp.
Let’s hope Gus scared the stupidness out of these players and we go on a run!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know why Khoury felt he had to address such a stupid story that's been blown out of proportion. Baz and Gus have already discussed it in the media. Khoury weighing in just gives the stupid story more life.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't know why Khoury felt he had to address such a stupid story that's been blown out of proportion. Baz and Gus have already discussed it in the media. Khoury weighing in just gives the stupid story more life.
Do you reckon we should believe JK or that there's more to the "full support" comment about Gus?

Last edited:

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And there it is folks…:-).
I know JK was talking about Gus not Baz but once the ‘full support’ comment drops usually the opposite is true. Why did JK even comment? Just adding oxygen to the fire. Wharby was smart by saying ‘no comment’.
They love the limelight. Anything Gus can do, I can do better. Lets buy them the cone of silence.