Google Home etc

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
wait till you get the self driving cars with no steering wheels, in not too distant future.
Fuck that! I'm sticking to my beast, maybe I'll get a flying car lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have 4 google home devices (3 minis and one Sony Google smart speaker), an Amazon echo spot that the Mrs uses as an alarm clock, and a bunch of smart power plugs, google Chromecast devices and smart light bulbs.

They're handy. Not as useful as the ads try to convince you but handy and relatively cheap. I use it mainly for controlling the smart devices and shopping lists. Another handy feature is location memory. Say to it, "hey google, remember that I left my passport in the sock drawer", then 6 months later if you say "hey google, where's my passport?" it'll tell you where you left it.

Of the two I find Google home better than Alexa, mainly because I use Google home music (as oppose to Amazon music) and Google Chromecast devices, but also because it seems to work better. We have an annoying issue where two of the Mrs favourite radio stations don't work by voice control. She says, "Alexa, play blah blah radio station" and it either says, "I'm sorry, that station doesn't exist" or it plays some Spanish American radio station instead. But if you manually load it through the Alexa app it works. Google on the other hand works perfect every time.

Also bought a Google home speaker for my mum. She just uses it as a radio but it works well 'cause she says a station and it plays it. Then she just says, "hey google, stop" to turn it off.

$49 is the general sale price that comes up occasionally (once every few weeks). There are better sales if you keep an eye out for them for example:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/422341
The CIA/FBI say hi ;) lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think all of them do. Each smart light brand you buy comes with an app to control it via your smart phone. Google home devices are just another way to control it.

It's a bit more than just turning your lights on and off though. For example, you can program all your smart devices to do stuff with set voice commands. Say "hey google, I'm home" and it'll turn on the aircon, turn on the lights, start playing music.

Or say, "hey google, I want to watch a movie" and it'll dim or turn off the lights, lower the blinds and load Netflix.

Or say, "hey google, hit the lights" and it'll turn the lights red then start playing Metallica's Hit the Lights.

Or just use it for the simple stuff where you don't need the extra programming. For example, just say "hey google, play Metallica YouTube clips on the living room TV" or "play goatwhore on the living room stereo"
Only one good thing for these devices..

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Only one good thing for these devices..

I got the Google app on my phone. All I need to do is tap on the mic and ask it a question and it tells me the answer lol.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait till 2020 and beyond... they want to put smart tech in pretty much anything and everything.... even your freakin' pot plant will be interactive if you so choose.... I'm not interested in any of these devices at all.... a bit of tech is ok, computer, smart phone if you need.... but everything else is just lazy

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wait till 2020 and beyond... they want to put smart tech in pretty much anything and everything.... even your freakin' pot plant will be interactive if you so choose.... I'm not interested in any of these devices at all.... a bit of tech is ok, computer, smart phone if you need.... but everything else is just lazy
People are getting busier and busier every year. These devices help ease pressure with a lot of things. It’s not laziness.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
People are getting busier and busier every year. These devices help ease pressure with a lot of things. It’s not laziness.

of course, that's how they are marketed... but we all know that these stupid toys get used a handful of times till the novelty wears off

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
of course, that's how they are marketed... but we all know that these stupid toys get used a handful of times till the novelty wears off
Voice control is not novelty, it’s staying. And if you think people don’t do more day to day than 5 years ago even then you must be retired

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Voice control is not novelty, it’s staying. And if you think people don’t do more day to day than 5 years ago even then you must be retired

Like I said... there is a benefit in a computer and a smart phone... all the other shit is unnecessary and I know plenty of people who do nothing but work, and they get by fine without all those other toys

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Definately, think of the things just in our cars we take for granted, like voice activated gps and bluetooth.

If I was building a new house today, I go full connectivity. Voice activated everything, except for the potplants maybe, that would be weird.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definately, think of the things just in our cars we take for granted, like voice activated gps and bluetooth.

If I was building a new house today, I go full connectivity. Voice activated everything, except for the potplants maybe, that would be weird.

Wait till smart cities are rolled out on mass scale... probably at least a decade off I know... but nuts to that.... good bye privacy

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Would a smart house interest you if voiced by Remington Steele?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like I said... there is a benefit in a computer and a smart phone... all the other shit is unnecessary and I know plenty of people who do nothing but work, and they get by fine without all those other toys
These are computers. Maybe unnecessary to you but very useful for people with a lot on their plate, perhaps those people you know who do “nothing but work” might be able to free up a bit of time by using smart products.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And collects data to tell you if it’s sick, needs to
He fertilised, too much sunlight, too hot/cold. Takes the guesswork out of it
Actually, come to think of it, they would be good for people like e who are terrible at looking after plants.

I, for one, welcome out new botanical overlords.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
These are computers. Maybe unnecessary to you but very useful for people with a lot on their plate, perhaps those people you know who do “nothing but work” might be able to free up a bit of time by using smart products.
Obviously not, or they would be using them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I've had interactive pot plants for years...

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Obviously not, or they would be using them.
well anyone over 30 needs to look into these products. Once you hit 30, generally, productivity absolutely nose dives at work.

I think you generally don’t understand the capabilities of these products and therefore don’t know how they can be used to make life easy. You are using your phone in the same way, this is the next step