Google Home etc

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Car is driving it self without any human intervention.... so technically yeah.
You said it requires intervention. Self driving = hop into car > enter destination > chill > arrive at destination alive

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have 4 google home devices (3 minis and one Sony Google smart speaker), an Amazon echo spot that the Mrs uses as an alarm clock, and a bunch of smart power plugs, google Chromecast devices and smart light bulbs.

They're handy. Not as useful as the ads try to convince you but handy and relatively cheap. I use it mainly for controlling the smart devices and shopping lists. Another handy feature is location memory. Say to it, "hey google, remember that I left my passport in the sock drawer", then 6 months later if you say "hey google, where's my passport?" it'll tell you where you left it.

Of the two I find Google home better than Alexa, mainly because I use Google home music (as oppose to Amazon music) and Google Chromecast devices, but also because it seems to work better. We have an annoying issue where two of the Mrs favourite radio stations don't work by voice control. She says, "Alexa, play blah blah radio station" and it either says, "I'm sorry, that station doesn't exist" or it plays some Spanish American radio station instead. But if you manually load it through the Alexa app it works. Google on the other hand works perfect every time.

Also bought a Google home speaker for my mum. She just uses it as a radio but it works well 'cause she says a station and it plays it. Then she just says, "hey google, stop" to turn it off.

$49 is the general sale price that comes up occasionally (once every few weeks). There are better sales if you keep an eye out for them for example:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/422341

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have 4 google home devices (3 minis and one Sony Google smart speaker), an Amazon echo spot that the Mrs uses as an alarm clock, and a bunch of smart power plugs, google Chromecast devices and smart light bulbs.

They're handy. Not as useful as the ads try to convince you but handy and relatively cheap. I use it mainly for controlling the smart devices and shopping lists. Another handy feature is location memory. Say to it, "hey google, remember that I left my passport in the sock drawer", then 6 months later if you say "hey google, where's my passport?" it'll tell you where you left it.

Of the two I find Google home better than Alexa, mainly because I use Google home music (as oppose to Amazon music) and Google Chromecast devices, but also because it seems to work better. We have an annoying issue where two of the Mrs favourite radio stations don't work by voice control. She says, "Alexa, play blah blah radio station" and it either says, "I'm sorry, that station doesn't exist" or it plays some Spanish American radio station instead. But if you manually load it through the Alexa app it works. Google on the other hand works perfect every time.

Also bought a Google home speaker for my mum. She just uses it as a radio but it works well 'cause she says a station and it plays it. Then she just says, "hey google, stop" to turn it off.

$49 is the general sale price that comes up occasionally (once every few weeks). There are better sales if you keep an eye out for them for example:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/422341
Bro, would you recommend getting the google pixel 3? It looks convenient though underpowered and i'm unsure if it would be trash within the next 2 years.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You said it requires intervention. Self driving = hop into car > enter destination > chill > arrive at destination alive
what do you call a car that follows the car infront without any human intervention, it can drive for hundreds of kilometres going through bends and curves , dips and hills without any human intervention as long as the car infront doesn't change the lane?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
what do you call a car that follows the car infront without any human intervention, it can drive for hundreds of kilometres going through bends and curves , dips and hills without any human intervention as long as the car infront doesn't change the lane?
Assisted driving. Self driving is entirely autinomous and has no limitations

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro, would you recommend getting the google pixel 3? It looks convenient though underpowered and i'm unsure if it would be trash within the next 2 years.
I would, if you can handle the notch. It's a really good phone. I'm using the Samsung note 9 myself as it's better for work but if I didn't get the note 9 then I would have gotten the Pixel 3.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Assisted driving. Self driving is entirely autinomous and has no limitations

o fuck it, I will go one step further then, self driving is when you do not even have to push the button to start the car.

It should be like the Kitt from Knight Rider...fighting the bad guys on its own

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I would, if you can handle the notch. It's a really good phone. I'm using the Samsung note 9 myself as it's better for work but if I didn't get the note 9 then I would have gotten the Pixel 3.
Yh i normally stick to the galaxy but like i said the Pixel just looks convenient. The camera is also meant to be amazing. The issue with the notch is only only on the XL? Unsure what size i want yet.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hold on... so you're saying that without steering wheels are ages away, and with steering wheels aren't even here yet... as opposed to what exactly? We do have self driving cars today.

Really ?
Ok, turn one on, tell it to take you home, then get in the backseat and take a nap.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
T intersection ahead, directly in front of you is a pier, the car in front turns right ?
I guarantee you're gettin wet, if you don't "drive" the car.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
T intersection ahead, directly in front of you is a pier, the car in front turns right ?
I guarantee you're gettin wet, if you don't "drive" the car.

the car infront will slow down or come to a stop before turning... yea? Passat will do the same.

If it turns right , the car will beep and slow down itself till it comes to a stop.

PS> no one really uses cruise control on a busy street and T intersections and traffic lights.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
the car infront will slow down or come to a stop before turning... yea? Passat will do the same.

If it turns right , the car will beep and slow down itself till it comes to a stop.

PS> no one really uses cruise control on a busy street and T intersections and traffic lights.
I use cruise control on Gympie Road sometimes, as the speed vans are vicious.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Really ?
Ok, turn one on, tell it to take you home, then get in the backseat and take a nap.
Get drunk, jump in the backseat, tell it to drive you home, half way home tell it to start doing fishies while honking the horn to the tune of "Who let the dogs out"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Belkin can do it with the Belkin app, as can other manufacturers.

But seriously... lazy as fuck if you can't be arsed turning off a light.
I think all of them do. Each smart light brand you buy comes with an app to control it via your smart phone. Google home devices are just another way to control it.

It's a bit more than just turning your lights on and off though. For example, you can program all your smart devices to do stuff with set voice commands. Say "hey google, I'm home" and it'll turn on the aircon, turn on the lights, start playing music.

Or say, "hey google, I want to watch a movie" and it'll dim or turn off the lights, lower the blinds and load Netflix.

Or say, "hey google, hit the lights" and it'll turn the lights red then start playing Metallica's Hit the Lights.

Or just use it for the simple stuff where you don't need the extra programming. For example, just say "hey google, play Metallica YouTube clips on the living room TV" or "play goatwhore on the living room stereo"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure I could pull out my phone to do that each and every time, but why would I when I can just say it. And the wife and kids can also say it without having to use my phone.

Its also fun for the kids. They can ask it questions and get answers, or they can ask it to play songs for them, like this one...

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure I could pull out my phone to do that each and every time, but why would I when I can just say it. And the wife and kids can also say it without having to use my phone.

Its also fun for the kids. They can ask it questions and get answers, or they can ask it to play songs for them, like this one...

My kids absolutely love it and annoy the shit out of google box by asking it to do weird and random shit.
Reminds me of the medieval time when the kings used to ask the clown to do random shit like stand on one leg with one finger up his butt hole , just for the sake of laughs and giggles and the clown would simply obey every command like a robot.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The last thing I'm giving Google is access to is my life. Not getting one.