Google hey!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Opinion pieces saying Google afraid of Australia setting an example to the rest of the world in this and thats why they are fighting back so hard.

So I dont think its settled anywhere in EU yet?
Don’t think so

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Google have already made deals with other nations.

What the government is doing here is completely illogical (they may have a point with Facebook but not a simple search engine).

With the Google thing its purely to put more money in Murdoch's pockets. Proaganda costs policy
Do you mean the deal that they have already proposed and comes up everytime you Google.

They are opposing the Australian Govt legislation bc it is not in line with what they have put forward themselves.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you mean the deal that they have already proposed and comes up everytime you Google.

They are opposing the Australian Govt legislation bc it is not in line with what they have put forward themselves.
As hacky said i can't understand why Google should be charged for a search engine that has the potential to provide more visitors to the media groups sites

Google simply does a search and links you to that site. Then the user chooses which site they want to go to. Why should Google have to pay media companies for that? Realistically media companies should be paying Google as Google redirects users to those sites

Subscribers or consistent readers of online news already have their preferred sources.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
As hacky said i can't understand why Google should be charged for a search engine that has the potential to provide more visitors to the media groups sites

Google simply does a search and links you to that site. Then the user chooses which site they want to go to. Why should Google have to pay media companies for that? Realistically media companies should be paying Google as Google redirects users to those sites

Subscribers or consistent readers of online news already have their preferred sources.
Yes but Google have already said they will compensate. They just wont accept the Libs Murdoch legislation.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes but Google have already said they will compensate. They just wont accept the Libs Murdoch legislation.

I clicked the link and then clicked another link inside that article for the deal Google did with French media.

Unfortunately no details about that deal they struck to compare

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Google should just not link to Murdoch papers in search results, rather provding only ABC news etc. See how fast Murdochs click throughs dry up and they lose even more relevance.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Google should just not link to Murdoch papers in search results, rather provding only ABC news etc. See how fast Murdochs click throughs dry up and they lose even more relevance.
There is a problem here with Google and Facebook dominating the scene. This just isn't the right deal because it's designed for the benefit of Murdoch.

Facebook do take away viewers as the comments function gets people engaged but only on the Facebook platform, not a click hit for that media's website.

The plain fact is that the old business model of advertisements on print media no longer works and because of this we're seeing less journalists, less diversity in media, and therefore less quality.

A new business model does need to be struck otherwise Google and Facebook do have power to direct content and context.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Might be good to lose access to Facebook and Instagram.
Get rid of ALL forms of anti-social media! Society, families and children will be much better off without it! Social media is a sickness, a cancer of modern day society, it has and will continue to destroy all forms of family values while it exists. All it does is over inflate already enormous human egos and give arrogant self loving morons a platform to spread their sick, mentally ill ideas to others. Good riddance, the sooner the better I say!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There is a problem here with Google and Facebook dominating the scene. This just isn't the right deal because it's designed for the benefit of Murdoch.

Facebook do take away viewers as the comments function gets people engaged but only on the Facebook platform, not a click hit for that media's website.

The plain fact is that the old business model of advertisements on print media no longer works and because of this we're seeing less journalists, less diversity in media, and therefore less quality.

A new business model does need to be struck otherwise Google and Facebook do have power to direct content and context.
Googling silliness: internet war elicits a wide, wide web of absurdities https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB1dkFWT?m=en-au&referrerID=InAppShare

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Get rid of ALL forms of anti-social media! Society, families and children will be much better off without it! Social media is a sickness, a cancer of modern day society, it has and will continue to destroy all forms of family values while it exists. All it does is over inflate already enormous human egos and give arrogant self loving morons a platform to spread their sick, mentally ill ideas to others. Good riddance, the sooner the better I say!
I have no social media, closest thing I have is this joint.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Largely agree. More diversity in ownership is also needed. I know there’s limits on what each mob can own in each city but it’s still too narrow in my view when say Nine Co own a TV Network, Newspaper and Radio Station in the same city. On a more global scale you have Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp all owned by one mob. There should be better regulation around M&A or even JV - too easy to exploit and the likes of the ACCC are toothless tigers.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck Gmail and fuck google... in sayingbthis I am justva drunken average aussie. Who do not rely on google for leads to make my business sustainable

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm old school my bro, rather have chat to you on the phone or even better, while having a drink with you.
I’m the same. I quote things on here off people I trust are smart individuals, in there area of expertise. I talk with them, have conversations. Never google anything. Yet it’s funny I watch people reply on here, u know there quickly googling a story to suit there narrative instead of just saying what they think.Usually takes em 15 or 20 mins then a big reply with screenshots. I don’t understand why people can’t talk about how they feel instead of quoting everyone

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m the same. I quote things on here off people I trust are smart individuals, in there area of expertise. I talk with them, have conversations. Never google anything. Yet it’s funny I watch people reply on here, u know there quickly googling a story to suit there narrative instead of just saying what they think.Usually takes em 15 or 20 mins then a big reply with screenshots. I don’t understand why people can’t talk about how they feel instead of quoting everyone
I sometimes use Google to find out what people are tàlking about if I have no idea. But if I don't already have a clue about a topic I'll leave it alone. But I'm not someone who needs to feel like I've won an argument. I'll get my point out and am happy with that.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I sometimes use Google to find out what people are tàlking about if I have no idea. But if I don't already have a clue about a topic I'll leave it alone. But I'm not someone who needs to feel like I've won an argument. I'll get my point out and am happy with that.
I often google things during meetings at work so I can understand the IT monkeys are saying...
As for googling info to win an argument on a footy forum, I'd rather just concede.