Google hey!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isn’t the google thing about paying for stolen news content?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hasn’t Europe already reached agreements on compensation

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fucking good summary. Plenty of people would be quick to argue that the spanner the liberal party threw into the building of the NBN had nothing to do with the fact that it was going to give the numerous streaming services an advantage in competing with the dated and very expensive model of pay TV services Murdoch was running. I personally can't see any other reason that the liberal party tried to keep us well behind the times with technology.

And while I do support the idea that Google and other mega companies pay taxes on the profits they generate from advertising. This isn't about taxation dollars. It's about profit generation for media moguls.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fucking good summary. Plenty of people would be quick to argue that the spanner the liberal party threw into the building of the NBN had nothing to do with the fact that it was going to give the numerous streaming services an advantage in competing with the dated and very expensive model of pay TV services Murdoch was running. I personally can't see any other reason that the liberal party tried to keep us well behind the times with technology.

And while I do support the idea that Google and other mega companies pay taxes on the profits they generate from advertising. This isn't about taxation dollars. It's about profit generation for media moguls.
Isn’t 5G faster??

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

And cheaper

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is.
Just searched the result. 5g data transfer maximum speed is 10 gigabits per second. Fibre optics is 500 gigabits per second.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just searched the result. 5g data transfer maximum speed is 10 gigabits per second. Fibre optics is 500 gigabits per second.
Aren’t you talking about nbn speeds vs 5G speeds. I haven’t googled as rarely do. Im probably wrong but a staunch nerd at work was telling me 5G was faster and cheaper

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Aren’t you talking about nbn speeds vs 5G speeds. I haven’t googled as rarely do. Im probably wrong but a staunch nerd at work was telling me 5G was faster and cheaper
The NBN was going to be completely run on fibre optics. The liberal model has the majority of the network running on fibre optics, but with a huge portion of houses relying on copper to node which slows things down massively.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn’t the google thing about paying for stolen news content?
Yeah, it's a bit stupid though. The news articles are getting clicks because they appear on Google. So Google should probably get paid for it, not the other way around.

Google could always just block news websites for Australia and basically screw everyone.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a bit stupid though. The news articles are getting clicks because they appear on Google. So Google should probably get paid for it, not the other way around.

Google could always just block news websites for Australia and basically screw everyone.
Yeah ok. I thought I heard European countries had already won compensation for the same thing. So it’s not like it’s us setting a new trend here. We’re just catching up?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah ok. I thought I heard European countries had already won compensation for the same thing. So it’s not like it’s us setting a new trend here. We’re just catching up?
Opinion pieces saying Google afraid of Australia setting an example to the rest of the world in this and thats why they are fighting back so hard.

So I dont think its settled anywhere in EU yet?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Is Ask Geeves still going hahaha

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Opinion pieces saying Google afraid of Australia setting an example to the rest of the world in this and thats why they are fighting back so hard.

So I dont think its settled anywhere in EU yet?
Google have already made deals with other nations.

What the government is doing here is completely illogical (they may have a point with Facebook but not a simple search engine).

With the Google thing its purely to put more money in Murdoch's pockets. Proaganda costs policy