Opinion Good effort

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we combine the attitude in defense with class in key areas of 1,6,7 and 9 we'll be very competitive. Burton, JAC and Co won't be able do shit if the rest of the team don't step up.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought we looked a lot better with focus on the legs style tackling. It suited us better despite Hetheringtons excitement. This game should give our boys some confidence.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
or if we had the Storm's B spine.
And that's who we should be seriously targetting...Hynes and Smith with Burton and we finally have the makings of a "proper" spine

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's almost as good as we can play, especially defensively and we lost by 26, a long way to go and again nothing changes until we bring in better players. The analysts just have sympathy for us because we show effort, getting over it.
Do you think our problems are all to do with roster or coaching as well?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d say roster. I’m relatively comfortable with the coaching staff. The spine needs addressing ASAP . Starting with hooker, a rock star full back and a halves partner for Burto

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m with most of you, today was positive.
4 of their trys came at the end of the half’s under fatigue.
Very different story when we learn to defend for a full 40.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I couldn't say the coaching isn't at fault whatsoever, at the end of the day they always have to take some blame, there are specific things I don't agree with even (from an outside perspective) but I honestly believe the roster in the worst in the NRL (that includes the last 2 seasons) and nothing will change until there's improvement there. I'm not silly, I know if we had Bellamy we'd have a few extra wins and be progressing slightly faster but we're not in a position to get a coach like him (career suicide because of the roster, it's why we had to get Pay to begin with), he's the best of the best, I just don't think it'd be as big of a significant difference as others think, again I blame the roster/players. We have the worst spine in the competition (only 1 player has showed 'potential' of being anything) = no confidence throughout the team, especially when the first person touching the ball is the worst hooker in the NRL.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The luck went with the Panthers today. They got away with being inside the ten all day, as well.
Mate deadset if you watch all the Panthers game this year you will see they are offside more often then not.
There line basically moves up once the attacker has placed the ball down before he even attempts to play it. The new darlings of the nrl

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You lot are kidding penrith were in third gear

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate deadset if you watch all the Panthers game this year you will see they are offside more often then not.
There line basically moves up once the attacker has placed the ball down before he even attempts to play it. The new darlings of the nrl
Yep; that was obvious in our game.

It was infuriating to watch them rush up as soon as the ball was on the ground. I reckon we would have been penalised off the park had we done the same. As Barrett said in his press interview, the refs watch some of our players like hawks.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m with most of you, today was positive.
4 of their trys came at the end of the half’s under fatigue.
Very different story when we learn to defend for a full 40.
Even better when we learn to attack.

Eels, Dragons, Raiders and Broncos conceded more points on the weekend - and we were up against the Panthers.
With a bit of attacking skill we could have really given them a scare.

Normally I'd be saying that next year is something to look forward to with our new recruitment, and some positive signs now appearing in defence; but I've seen us fail too often to predict a better season.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was probably the best game the boyz had even though we lost I was happy to see them actually have a dig good onya boyz
Absolutely the best first half of football we’ve seen them play in a very very long time.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Eels, Dragons, Raiders and Broncos conceded more points on the weekend - and we were up against the Panthers.

Normally I'd be saying that next year is something to look forward to with our new recruitment, and some positive signs now appearing in defence; but I've seen us fail too often to predict a better season.
Understand what you are saying for next year but surely the sheer class of Burto and JAC (all we know of signings at this stage) will lift us.

It's a case of haaave to be better isn't it?

Please say yes lol

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

A lot will depend on who plays 9 next year. When we get in good field position the service out of dummy half is too slow and the defence is in our face straight away. It’s even more important with young halves

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
A lot will depend on who plays 9 next year. When we get in good field position the service out of dummy half is too slow and the defence is in our face straight away. It’s even more important with young halves
It's so obvious when watching other teams how far the dummy half throws the ball in front of a deep running forward onto the ball with all that momentum. We are line ball alongside or flat footed.

They almost always have a few decoys. We often don't.

Little things like that Baz can, and should, be coaching.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I went to yesterdays game, and you guys played pretty well. Defensively especially in the first half was very good. The 10 metres was rubbish for both sides, which probably worked in your favour. Also the ruck was refereed like it was 2019. Our average play the ball speed was 3.9 & yours was 3.4.

If TBaz gets them playing like that every week you will move off the bottom.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder which side will turn up against Saints. If we put in the same effort, we should win