Golden point under threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some NRL boffins are trying to get the coaches support to have Golden point vetoed out of existence.
It's no secret Wayne Bennett wants it gone but there is no denying the players happiness when they win by GP. The Bulldogs group hug was something special last year.
I think keep it, I would rather have a win or lose than 1 point.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I want it scrapped.

A draw is a result.

If a game has to go into Extra Time, than make it 10 mins each half.

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
Yeah I saw this on the Footy Show too, in the 5 in the box segment or whatever. I think Benji wants it gone, Burgess wants it to stay, Hadley wanted it gone, and most of the others bar 1 wanted it gone. Can't remember well though.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
5minute halves, golden try, field goals are counted, but not guaranteed to win you the game. This is the only way to end the kick-a-thon.
You have 2 teams who put in the same effort in the first 80mins, and then to decide who wins on which team has the better kicker is kind of an anticlimax and rather unfair.

P

Paint.

I liked Erin Molan's idea on the footy show.
5 min halves, if you score a try then the game is over, however if you score a field goal, then the whole 10 mins is played out, and whoever has most pts at the end wins/get a draw.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
5 minute halves, whoever has the most points at the end of that wins, if its still level its a draw. No golden anything

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
5minute halves, golden try, field goals are counted, but not guaranteed to win you the game. This is the only way to end the kick-a-thon.
You have 2 teams who put in the same effort in the first 80mins, and then to decide who wins on which team has the better kicker is kind of an anticlimax and rather unfair.
Agreed with this, but i think both teams should get 1 point after 80 minutes and the extra time is for the other 1 point. A team should get something for being equal after 80 minutes and should not be put in the same category as a team that gets flogged by 50.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed with this, but i think both teams should get 1 point after 80 minutes and the extra time is for the other 1 point. A team should get something for being equal after 80 minutes and should not be put in the same category as a team that gets flogged by 50.
So you get 3 points in a game for going to extra time? Unfair, will never work, and never be brought in.

It'll encourage teams to attempt to draw to gain an extra competition point (even if they lost in extra time). If you aren't good enough to win in 80 minutes, you DESERVE to go into extra time.

The NRL have far more important things to worry about in the game than trying to change every facet of it.

Besides, who cares if it's a drop goal shootout. Soccer has penalty shootouts. If anything I think it makes it exciting.

P

Paint.

So you get 3 points in a game for going to extra time? Unfair, will never work, and never be brought in.

It'll encourage teams to attempt to draw to gain an extra competition point (even if they lost in extra time). If you aren't good enough to win in 80 minutes, you DESERVE to go into extra time.

The NRL have far more important things to worry about in the game than trying to change every facet of it.

Besides, who cares if it's a drop goal shootout. Soccer has penalty shootouts. If anything I think it makes it exciting.
You earn a point, and ET is for the other 1 point.
1 + 1 = 2.

Haven't reached that stage, have you Mr I?

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rid of it for the regular season and implement it in the semis.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Here's why Golden Try can't work in my opinion. I'll provide a hypothetical (Albeit unlikely) scenario:

- Team A and Team B have drawn the game at 12-12.
- Team A get a penalty and choose to kick for goal. Team A successfully converts the penalty goal and makes the score 14-12.
- While on the attack again, Team A receive another penalty in front of the posts. Team A choose to kick for goal again and make the score 16-12.
- Team A attempt and succeed at kicking a field goal to create a 5 point buffer. The score is now 17-12.

We now have a situation where Team A are 5 points ahead. What happens if Team B now score a try? Does the team that score the try win? Even though Team B finished the game at 16-17?

One again this is an unlikely scenario, but is definitely possible and something to think about.

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
Here's why Golden Try can't work in my opinion. I'll provide a hypothetical (Albeit unlikely) scenario:

- Team A and Team B have drawn the game at 12-12.
- Team A get a penalty and choose to kick for goal. Team A successfully converts the penalty goal and makes the score 14-12.
- While on the attack again, Team A receive another penalty in front of the posts. Team A choose to kick for goal again and make the score 16-12.
- Team A attempt and succeed at kicking a field goal to create a 5 point buffer. The score is now 17-12.

We now have a situation where Team A are 5 points ahead. What happens if Team B now score a try? Does the team that score the try win? Even though Team B finished the game at 16-17?

One again this is an unlikely scenario, but is definitely possible and something to think about.
Just bring in 2 point conversions after tries.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
For the extra time, you could make penalty kicks unavailable.. This way it would stop the attacking team from running head first, or "falling" into a tackle intentionally looking for a penalty, and as we seen on Friday night, even if it's all accidental and there's nothing that can be done about it, they're still forced to give a penalty.

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah both teams get 1 point after a tied 80 minutes.
Winner after 90 minutes gets 1 extra point, so one team gets 1 point and one team gets 2.
I see your point about the golden try Raysie, you would have to play out the full 10 minutes regardless of a try scored.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You earn a point, and ET is for the other 1 point.
1 + 1 = 2.

Haven't reached that stage, have you Mr I?
Erm the idea being tossed around is BOTH teams get a point for going to extra time (2 x 1 = 2), and 1 point if they win in extra time (1).

Last time I checked 2 + 1 = 3.

P

Paint.

Erm the idea being tossed around is BOTH teams get a point for going to extra time (2 x 1 = 2), and 1 point if they win in extra time (1).

Last time I checked 2 + 1 = 3.
Yes, both team get a pt, and the winner gets an extra point.
So, if say its Dogs v Manly into extra time, then Dogs win through a late field goal, Manly get 1 pt, Dogs get 2 pts.

captain dropbut

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
if its golden try to win and u took the penalty kick u deserve to be mocked y would anyone take the kick

Status
Not open for further replies.