Gold Coast Titans targeted for shock move to Brisbane

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gold Coast Titans targeted for shock move to Brisbane
Staff writers, FOX SPORTS
July 17, 2019 9:10pm

The Gold Coast Titans are reportedly being targeted by a consortium to make a shock move to Brisbane to be the cities second rugby league team.

The struggling glitter strip club, who sacked coach Garth Brennan on Sunday would potentially play out of Suncorp Stadium as a rebranded Brisbane team.

“Some rugby league heavy hitters are involved in a top secret plan to transform the Gold Coast Titans into Brisbane’s second rugby league team,” Channel 9 reported.

“Nine news understands up to eight Titans games a season would be played in Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium under a new name.

“Super League heavyweights and former Melbourne Storm bosses John Ribot and Chris Johns are said to be involved.”

The potential move comes on the back of the turmoil surrounding the club with declining crowds and their dire on field form, that sees them sitting last in the NRL.

“I heard the plan was to relocate the club and move them out of the Gold Coast and into Brisbane,” Ben Ikin told NRL 360.

“Eight of the games would be played at Suncorp Stadium and the other four would be played outside of Brisbane.

“John Ribot and Chris Johns have had success in the past and are both very intelligent guys so there would be something deeper behind this.”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/e83dcc50d795fb0683fd0164e5c77be7

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
This comes about after comments by Ben Ikin on NRL360 regarding if they would be a target for relocation.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How does this work? Is there a huge portion of people in Brisbane I haven't seen that are looking for a team that isn't the Broncos? Surely it's better to promote either Ipswich, Redcliffe or the Sunshine Coast

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't see Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle selling the team.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the idea. Gold coast should be a Holiday destination where people escape rugby league after a tough season.

Banned
Reaction score
Anything that weakens the Donkeys is a good thing!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always thought an Ipswich team would be a better prospect. Their junior base is huge.

Would also help to curtail the Donks big young talent pool, thus win-win;)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If they want to do this, you DO NOT move a struggling team to a one-team city. You create a NEW team. Gold Coast have been destined to fail from day 1. They made some finals appearances but have been bog-shit for the majority of their time. It is up.

The NRL should've given this franchise to the Bears!

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why not just call them South Brisbane and move their home ground to Suncorp. They could keep the Gold Coast nursery plus access some of Brisbane’s

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh meh

Derp derp
Mo flogs

Twin toss

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They aren't moving.

They may play 2 games in Brisbane a year.