News Gold Coast Titans get Justin Holbrook as their new coach

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Gold Coast Titans have reportedly got their man, signing St Helens coach Justin Holbrook to a two-year deal.

The Courier Mail broke the news on Wednesday that he will take the reins of the struggling club from 2020 onwards and that the contract can be extended if he drags the team out otf the NRL basement in that time.

The club is expected to confirm the appointment within 24 hours.

Holbrook has never coached in the NRL but his record with St Helens is superb.

He’s won 62 of 78 games in charge of that club and will remain at the helm until their season comes to an end.

He is expected to join Gold Coast at the start of November to begin planning for the 2020 season alongside Titans culture chief Mal Meninga, who had come under fire for his single-minded pursuit of Holbrook after the Titans sacked Garth Brennan.

CEO Steve Mitchell backed in Meninga’s drive though.

“Mal has been so influential in the game for so long,” Mitchell said.

Holbrook himself had a limited proferssional football career as a halfback, playing less than 20 first grade games for the Knights, Panthers and Roosters over a four-year period.

Scott Sattler, a former teammate of Holbrook hopes the risk pays off for the coach and club.

Ex-Titans football manager Sattler played alongside Holbrook at Penrith in 2001 and while he’s happy for the 43-year-old, he believes there’s a lot of unknowns about the appointment.

Holbrook has only held assistant coaching roles in the NRL but has enjoyed good success at the helm of English Super Leagueteam St Helens since joining them in 2017.

The Saints won the 2018 minor premiership and are 10 points clear at the top of the ladder this season after 30 matches.

Holbrook could arrive at Parkwood to launch pre-season training in November even if his side plays in the Super League grandfinal.

Sattler says despite that encouraging record, the Titans are taking a plunge into the unknown with a coach unproven at NRL level.

“I’m not saying it disrespectfully to Justin Holbrook because it’s a risk for him as well,” Sattler told AAP.

“They’re trying to rebuild and going and coaching the Gold Coast Titans could be great for your career, it could hinder your career.

“On both fronts, gee, it’s a risk but I think it’s a risk that could have a really happy ending.”

I am past anger and now in depression mode. Seriously

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
We must not have wanted him because no one would go to the Titans unless it was their only shot at coaching a club. Why we didn't want him I have no clue about. The only thing I can imagine is they plan to let Pay coach next year because it is already a write off, then try to attract a new coach when that new coach will have the ability to buy some new players.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yawn now!! Gotta move on.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
We must not have wanted him because no one would go to the Titans unless it was their only shot at coaching a club. Why we didn't want him I have no clue about. The only thing I can imagine is they plan to let Pay coach next year because it is already a write off, then try to attract a new coach when that new coach will have the ability to buy some new players.
That’s what I’m afraid of. I can’t take the rest of the year let alone another full season of Dean

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way people here are carrying on as if he is some sort of combination of Bellamy, Bennett and Jack Gibson.

Seriously, get a grip, what has he proven? I dont care what he has done on the ESL. Didnt Nathan Brown do well in the ESL? How is he going with that Knights team that contains arguably the best prop in the game, top 5 FB in the game, fantastic NRL half back?

He may turn out to be a good coach in the NRL, who knows, but at least one should remain skeptical at this stage as he has done nothing, not carry on as if he is the greatest coach to ever exist and we have missed out on him.

You reckon our cap is a mess? Wait till you see the Titans and you will get shivers down your spine. They have Cartwright around $700k a year for the next 2 years. Ash Taylor over $1 mill a year who is mentally broken. We are alot closer to success than they are that is even with Pay at the helm.

Take it easy. Ask yourself, what on earth would any coach do with a spine of DWZ, Cogger, Lewis, Wakeham, Lichaa, Marshall King?

Yes, it can be frustrating at times with his selection, but what do you want? You people are acting as if we have players like Latrell Mitchell playing reserve grade and being refused selection.

Lets just cop the medicine now and when success comes around it will taste sweeter.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The way people here are carrying on as if he is some sort of combination of Bellamy, Bennett and Jack Gibson.

Seriously, get a grip, what has he proven? I dont care what he has done on the ESL. Didnt Nathan Brown do well in the ESL? How is he going with that Knights team that contains arguably the best prop in the game, top 5 FB in the game, fantastic NRL half back?

He may turn out to be a good coach in the NRL, who knows, but at least one should remain skeptical at this stage as he has done nothing, not carry on as if he is the greatest coach to ever exist and we have missed out on him.

You reckon our cap is a mess? Wait till you see the Titans and you will get shivers down your spine. They have Cartwright around $700k a year for the next 2 years. Ash Taylor over $1 mill a year who is mentally broken. We are alot closer to success than they are that is even with Pay at the helm.

Take it easy. Ask yourself, what on earth would any coach do with a spine of DWZ, Cogger, Lewis, Wakeham, Lichaa, Marshall King?

Yes, it can be frustrating at times with his selection, but what do you want? You people are acting as if we have players like Latrell Mitchell playing reserve grade and being refused selection.

Lets just cop the medicine now and when success comes around it will taste sweeter.
Cop the medicine? Wow, looks like more than just the players have lost the will for our club.

Nathan Brown won a comp with St Helens...... against a 12 man team for nearly the whole game!! And just, mind you.
Holbrook has an 80% win record compared to Browns 69%.
So before comparing apples to apples, make sure you know what an apple is.

And from the coaches you have pointed out, which ones will be available? Bennett can hardly go in with his age, let alone in a few years time. Bellamy is Storm through and through, and Gibson. Well I’m sure you’re smart enough for even that.

Because Holbrook isn’t a recognised name, he’s not good? The guy can coach, you can tell from how St Helens move the ball and even defend. He has coached Canterbury juniors before, another pro to his CV.

Titans do have Ash Taylor and Cartwright yes. But do you not remember that these guys actually HAVE talent and are in need of coach who can get it out of them? I would take Ash in a heartbeat.

You also have Maninga at the club, a guy with deep roots in the QLD system who can convince excellent junior QLDers to jump on board. I would also take that too as we know those northerners can produce.

So yes, we should be disappointed and not keep copping shit over and over. I’ve had enough “medicine” over the last few years.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cop the medicine? Wow, looks like more than just the players have lost the will for our club.

Nathan Brown won a comp with St Helens...... against a 12 man team for nearly the whole game!! And just, mind you.
Holbrook has an 80% win record compared to Browns 69%.
So before comparing apples to apples, make sure you know what an apple is.

And from the coaches you have pointed out, which ones will be available? Bennett can hardly go in with his age, let alone in a few years time. Bellamy is Storm through and through, and Gibson. Well I’m sure you’re smart enough for even that.

Because Holbrook isn’t a recognised name, he’s not good? The guy can coach, you can tell from how St Helens move the ball and even defend. He has coached Canterbury juniors before, another pro to his CV.

Titans do have Ash Taylor and Cartwright yes. But do you not remember that these guys actually HAVE talent and are in need of coach who can get it out of them? I would take Ash in a heartbeat.

You also have Maninga at the club, a guy with deep roots in the QLD system who can convince excellent junior QLDers to jump on board. I would also take that too as we know those northerners can produce.

So yes, we should be disappointed and not keep copping shit over and over. I’ve had enough “medicine” over the last few years.
Agree with everything except for the take Taylor in a heartbeat line, personally I would rather a broken Foran, that's how much I don't rate him.

But that's just me

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Exactly. Medicine after a decade and a half since success? Fucknme

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Titans will be Holbrook's first and last NRL head coaching gig.

The Titans will fold/relocate by 2023

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As much as I think the Titans needed real veteran NRL coaching experience, I do think Holbrook is a winner. Some coaches are just born winners and I think it'll only take him a year or 2 to turn this club around.

To be honest the Titans are closer to success than us at the moment.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Missed on his signature so they can sign K Moore and Ben Anderson. What a sick joke bored!!

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new coach should have been appointed for next year to start the process of buying players for 2021 from nov 1 2020.....players want to know who the coach is before they commit...this will comeback to bite the club

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The new coach should have been appointed for next year to start the process of buying players for 2021 from nov 1 2020.....players want to know who the coach is before they commit...this will comeback to bite the club
And just like the last lot, walk away scott free from any of the consequences of their decisions and failures.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
strange for mine. 2 year deal with no ability to change roster as all the big earners are average and no chance to be moved on. Smarter to sign a new deal with st helens with the standard NRL get out if a decent job comes up. Titans will just hurt your chances of another gig and you must know at some point you will be fired.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
strange for mine. 2 year deal with no ability to change roster as all the big earners are average and no chance to be moved on. Smarter to sign a new deal with st helens with the standard NRL get out if a decent job comes up. Titans will just hurt your chances of another gig and you must know at some point you will be fired.
My first thought was "only 2 yrs?", I was expecting 3-5yrs.

I wonder if he has a plan for him to cut his teeth on the Tits, improve them the best he can in 2yrs (cos they can't go too much worse), then be more attractive for another NRL gig. And if it doesn't work out, he can go back to ESL.

Maybe the Andersons plan to make an offer for him near the end of 2020 to start in 2022, hoping the Tits get the shits and let him go early in 2021, ala Souffs/Donks saga.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holbrooks going to the GC will insure we end up with the spoon, simply because they will not get a lift and win a few game, while our club becomes even more deflated, and unlikely to win one more game.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Holbrooks going to the GC will insure we end up with the spoon, simply because they will not get a lift and win a few game, while our club becomes even more deflated, and unlikely to win one more game.
Next year or this year as well? :(

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it would be very difficult to get any coach worth his salt to be tied into the Tits for more than 2 year though