Give It Up For Ben Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
certainly did mate they also have played vangana at no.6 in the past showing exactly how low there stocks are in the 5/8 department and i'll stand by my post regarding roberts making starting 5/8 in any other team
Would you rather holdsworth? Roberts will be our 5/8 for the rest of the year and he will improve, And for you he wont get a start at any other club comment, Neither would armit or waburton they seem to be doing fine in fg, His had his problems with the ball etc but he has a ****load of potential give him some more time.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
having Kimmorley in the team is great for Roberts - takes the pressure of him and allows him to play his natural game.

What has impressed me so far this year is that he seems to be a little bit sharper and he has improved his defence.

He is not overplaying his hand, whether that be running, passing or kicking.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the future Luke. Like I said Roberts has always had a problem with consistency. But all I am saying is that today he was very, very good, it was encouraging to see and it would be good for everyone (even the Roberts haters like yourself :p) to acknowledge that and "give it up" for Benny Roberts.
Agreed. He was one of our best today and always had the defence in 2 minds. I think he has some vision and when he doesn't overplay his hand, his a good player.

Definately deserves credit. Great job Benny. I knew he could do it.:grinning:

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the future Luke. Like I said Roberts has always had a problem with consistency. But all I am saying is that today he was very, very good, it was encouraging to see and it would be good for everyone (even the Roberts haters like yourself :p) to acknowledge that and "give it up" for Benny Roberts.
i never new i was a roberts hater as i can't stand people bagging out our players but come to think of it i'm not sure i have ever rated him lol

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
He has been getting better. Threatens the line at times and his kicks today were impressive. I wouldnt say one of the best, but solid.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
you aint a player hater unless you've started a sack <insert name> thread

Doggiez08

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Credit where credit is due.

Roberts is much maligned by many of you guys on here. Alot of the criticisms are fair but also alot of people had written him off.

Myself and a few others have always maintained that when not relied upon as a playmaker and when allowed to play his natural running game he can be an extremely dangerous and good player.

Obviously consistency is always an issue for Roberts and I'm not saying that after today he will continue on with that form. But I am saying credit where credit is due.

He was easily one of our best today, he created a tonne of opportunities, took the line on and always was an attacking threat and put in some nice kicks also.

Lets hope he can continue that form.
Don't pay yourself on the back to early Ben.....its only one game where he played pretty good. Still some patches in the game where i feel he disappears.

TAHU

Captain
Reaction score
Played well. Combination with Morris building well. Nice flat balls to him running great angles. Unlucky not to score.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
having Kimmorley in the team is great for Roberts - takes the pressure of him and allows him to play his natural game.

What has impressed me so far this year is that he seems to be a little bit sharper and he has improved his defence.

He is not overplaying his hand, whether that be running, passing or kicking.
Pretty much what i think about Roberts. Kimmorley will do him a lot of good for sure.

mulloway

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
ben i rarely disagree with you on actual football related matters but honestly mate you have to be watching roberts through blue and white eyes i doubt he would make 5/8 in any other side in the comp
he would walk straight into parramatta side right now....plus tigers

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't pay yourself on the back to early Ben.....its only one game where he played pretty good. Still some patches in the game where i feel he disappears.
Not doing that at all mate as evidenced by the quote of mine below from this very thread. But again, I am ackowledging that he played very well today and I hope that he can keep it up.

Obviously consistency is always an issue for Roberts and I'm not saying that after today he will continue on with that form. But I am saying credit where credit is due.

Doggiez08

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not doing that at all mate as evidenced by the quote of mine below from this very thread. But again, I am ackowledging that he played very well today and I hope that he can keep it up.
Agreed.....i actually think Roberts is best suited as well by not being in control. I hope he just continues to run at the line like he has been doing. With that quick step he is another weapon to our side.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agreed.....i actually think Roberts is best suited as well by not being in control. I hope he just continues to run at the line like he has been doing. With that quick step he is another weapon to our side.
Very true.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he looks very dangerous...i think he is in for a really big year tbh. he seems to have a much better attitude than in past seasons and he is developing up a nice combo with goodwin/ryan etc.

Doggiez08

Kennel Established
Reaction score
didnt Roberts give up the booze this year as well?
No alcohol = better all round play

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Whilst Stagg is growing out of his jersey Hulkstyle, Roberts is still growing into his.

Last year he was tossed into the #6 with little to no experience, and I think that didn't do his confidence that good. He's had no one to mentor him as a half... Until now.

With Kimmorley showing Roberts the ropes and working with him on his game, it's evident that Roberts could be something very special with the right care and attention.

Yes he'll make mistakes but he's still learning his spot in the side.

Tonight saw him put up 1 or 2 skyscraper bombs (I have no idea how high one went, but I reckon it almost brought rain with it), and he had a few little stabs through the line when close.

With Goodwin and Morris alongside him, and Patten sniffing around near Kimmorley, Roberts game will only get better.

His scurrying runs will do more damage, his passing and kicking game will become more accurate, and when he starts nailing those kicks in play (either chips / grubbers / kicks to wing) then I think he'll become a marked man by other sides.

Until that day however you can see his game improving week by week. This game showed he's working on kicks in play.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
one thing about ben roberts is that he's a strong motherf$@$%!. He's also very quick off the mark, solid in defense. He is terrible at reading the game. He is exploited badly when he's playing with a shyte half like DJ... but kimmorley takes on the most of the directional and playmaking work and there's seems to be less pressure on roberts. he sort of plays like an extra centre. I rate him when he takes on the line.... I'd prefer taumata but roberts is in that mould.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you rather holdsworth? Roberts will be our 5/8 for the rest of the year and he will improve, And for you he wont get a start at any other club comment, Neither would armit or waburton they seem to be doing fine in fg, His had his problems with the ball etc but he has a ****load of potential give him some more time.
Wargburton needs to be dropped immediately!!! there seems to be a strange coaches pet complex at the dogs... and warburton appears to be the 2009 coaches pet (past coaches pets include grimaldi - that guy had zero talent and also, Trent Cutler last year). Warburton could have a complete shocker and not get dropped... Armit is doing fine in fg but not warburton

mulloway

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
wat u didnt rate grimaldi...you gotta be jokin right......

Status
Not open for further replies.