Opinion Give Dean Pay a contract next year

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What will happen to the staunch Pay haters once he returns this club to being a force?

Serious question. Like is there a swamp somewhere for them all to retreat to?
I would be happy because he would've earned it, even though i think hes had enough time, on the other hand would you go back into your hole if he's sacked though

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure Pricey has a fair opinion on this one and that there is already a review in place 5-10 rounds into the 2020 season.
I'm prepared to give Pricey a go. I think he actually may have a lot to offer and may surprise us all.
We've needed someone like him in the joint for ages.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Mate I honestly don't think Pay is any different to the way Anderson or Folksey coached us. Both very old fashioned, although Folkesy was big on fitness which got us home on many occasions.
Pay is sort of the same mould. Anderson had another coach on the field at the time in Terry Lamb, Baa kept the team united and together. Folksey had one of the best influx of junior talent coming through, whether it was via another club or through our own juniors, they all pretty much came on the scene together or a few years apart. Patten, Mason, Utai, Anasta, Harris, El-Masri(part Anderson, part Folkes era), Talau(from park footy), SBW, Thurston, Sherwin, Asotasi etc.

I was always a strong believer that a first grade coach didn't have to teach a player how to play the game the player has been playing all his life.
If a player couldn't pass left to right, then he shouldn't be playing first grade, it's not up to the coach to teach that. You shouldn't have to micro manage first graders.
But I'm old school anyway
Quote from Klopp..

“That’s not a problem. I can’t teach him playing football because he is already good at that but I can teach him how to deal with one-on-ones because I could do that and I was a really bad footballer.”

A coach still has to has to identify players problem areas and improve upon them. Have you seen the behind the scenes training videos? There's the crossing drill they run and it's probably the NRL equivalent of playing from dh with a couple of forwards and playmaker and delivering a crisp ball to the intended target. Can't help but feel we lack this type of attention to detail right now at the Dogs compared to top performing teams in the NRL and other world sports.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m prepared to see a new coach and let Pay go back to coaching in the country somewhere to be honest

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm prepared to give Pricey a go. I think he actually may have a lot to offer and may surprise us all.
Price anywhere around the club is good news to me.. Cant deny his efforts and achievements with a club that share a great relationship.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My concern with pay isnt the roster. Its his ability (or lack thereof) to identify strengths and weaknesses of our players and improve them/incorporate them into a gameplan of some kind. That is what I coach should do regardless of roster.

Im not saying we should be part of the top 8 or pushing finals, no. But we should have done a lot better at the start of the season.
I agree
I have said this before...
The club and the players Must and should know by now if Pay is tactically capable of being a good coach !!!
Hell...Pay who claims he cares for the club should know if he is improving or damaging the club further more !!!
If he isn't coping well, he should be looked after and moved to a position he could handle !!!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok yet Andrew Farrar exceeds price in every metric you care to name:-

1. Bigger club legend.

2. More experience.

3. More extensive network.

The ONLY reason Farrar got the arse is because he is not a yes man to the Andersons.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

1. Bigger club legend.

2. More experience.

The ONLY reason Farrar got the arse is because he is not a yes man to the Andersons.
100%

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

1. Bigger club legend.

2. More experience.

Farrer went as he had a falling out with Pay. Farrer believed that Pay was far to accepting of excuses including the way he spoke to the press and told him as such and it went downhill from there. They were hardly on speaking terms at the end.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Definitely, means the coach isn't doing his job and in such needs to go.

I'm neither pro or against Pay but I'll make my feelings felt on the matter, the bigger picture is I just want our club and team to be successful no matter who is coaching. That is the main goal.
I'm not going to lie but I've been a Pay "hater", but I have no problem giving him props if he does well with a better sqaud.

I also have one of the most wishy washy opinions of players and coaches lol. I'll hate them one day then the next I'll think they are good or doing right.

Just sucks that our great club is so shit house and I just hate waiting for us to be good. Like always at the beginning of next year I will do like I always do and reset. Then no doubt I will do like I always do and lose my mind if we are going shit lol.

Looks like Pay will be coach for next year and I'll be behind him and our team anyway.

UP THE DOGS!!!!!!!!!!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Let him sign some players and we go from there. Give him a shot at the Salery cap. It’s unfair to judge him off a team he inherited.
I totally agree

I don’t get the hate for Pay

He is overachieving with the roster and situation he walked into.

I think fans need to chill a bit
I blame Des for this,
We gave him too much time
And Pay is coping it now

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You Sir, Have Balls of Steel posting that here hahaha. Good Luck :-)
He is right though
Since this forum began posters have wanted the Coach sacked

Too many Niff Nuffs

As the great coach once said when he himself was the coach coping shit from fans who know nothing about the game

Little fucking bitches running their mouths full of emotions like a woman with menopause

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Farrer went as he had a falling out with Pay. Farrer believed that Pay was far to accepting of excuses including the way he spoke to the press and told him as such and it went downhill from there. They were hardly on speaking terms at the end.
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Interestingly General Patten asked his followers on IG to ask him anything about the Bulldogs. Found these 2 answers interesting:

Any reason why you're not involved with the Bulldogs anymore? Eg. Coaching

I've tried to get involved a couple of times as I think I have a bit to offer the back 5 and also the understanding the rules to your advantage. No interest from the club.

Do you believe the current administration and coaching are the right people for the job?

Short answer is no.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Interestingly General Patten asked his followers on IG to ask him anything about the Bulldogs. Found these 2 answers interesting:

Any reason why you're not involved with the Bulldogs anymore? Eg. Coaching

I've tried to get involved a couple of times as I think I have a bit to offer the back 5 and also the understanding the rules to your advantage. No interest from the club.

Do you believe the current administration and coaching are the right people for the job?

Short answer is no.
I'd like to have him elaborate on his reasons why.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I totally agree

I don’t get the hate for Pay

He is overachieving with the roster and situation he walked into.

I think fans need to chill a bit
I blame Des for this,
We gave him too much time
And Pay is coping it now
Overachieving LOL