Reaction score
1. Allan
2. JAC
3. Cotric
4. Naden
5. Okunbor
6. Averillo
7. Burton

not a bad spine. As for DWZ hard runners are easy to come by. He seems a bit out of position for a FB, and the brain explosions every week give me ulcers. Okunbor is a good big bodied target man who is essentially another forward coming out of our own half.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Allen will be a solid 1st grader but he doesn't possess any elite traits in my opinion, I think in the early mid 2000s he would've been a really, really good fullback but the role has changed now, all the top fullbacks have that elite speed or burst with Gutho being probably the only exception though he makes up for it with elite fitness, decision making and support play

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Allan is just a Hoppa/Boyd regen, said so when we signed him. Our style of play also doesn't suit a fullback like him and requires a more powerful or threatening ball runner. Centre or nothing imo.

Cotric is doing okay, confidence has defenitely take a hit though (like everyone in the side). Issue with him is that he isn't ever going to be worth the $$$ and he sure as shit isn't going to be a centre. Many fans also didn't really seem to know what type of player he actually was, complaining about him running around in circles and not carrying the ball hard and and straight when that's always been his style.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Allan is a gun. If he played for Melbourne TK would be losing its lollies and bombarding the forum with sign Allan threads. His demotion from fullback was irrational and premature. TBaz allowing the team to be coached by The Kennel. Cotric is a good winger....but it's a shame he's on centre money.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Okunbor should be back at the end of the month, interesting to see how he goes, won't have much time to prove his re-signing credentials.If by chance he kills it where will he play is a dilemma also...

Allan has been disappointing dunno if he makes it or not or where suppose centre or bust.WIth better quality spine players and hopefully better go forward could he play FB again? maybe but pretty questionable at this stage.

Cotric is being overpaid but as he looks like he will be a very good winger in an improved team he is a keeper i think, can't ask for 150-200k a yr refund because those that signed him stuffed up(and the price was also bumped up we needed to get the "marquee" signings train rolling).
To trade him we'd likely have to pay that extra freight anyway...? Hopefully he rocks next year i reckon he can.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Allan is a gun. If he played for Melbourne TK would be losing its lollies and bombarding the forum with sign Allan threads. His demotion from fullback was irrational and premature. TBaz allowing the team to be coached by The Kennel. Cotric is a good winger....but it's a shame he's on centre money.
Ya thunk TK has that much influence? :grinning:

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Cotric maybe. Allan is a dud.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
How is he a gun?

Souths backline made him look 100 times better than he actually is.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How is he a gun?

Going off this year Allan is Hopoate 2.0, and that's the 2021 Hopoate.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
How is he a gun?

can't agree, bro....Souths weren't even travelling that well when Latrell got injured. Go back and watch their games from their run last year....it's not as though he was just finishing what others started....he was creating opportunities and making linebreaks and was a big part of their dramatic change in form.

Souths didn't make him look good, we make him look bad.....just like we do with more or less every player who comes here.....Barrett didn't help by shifting him from fullback after three games, either.....two of them in horrendous conditions. He may not be the quickest, but he can make linebreaks and he has skills. Way too early to give up on him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Going off this year Allan is Hopoate 2.0, and that's the 2021 Hopoate.
Any backline player we bring in is going to look ordinary until our halves start running the team well and our forwards start dominating. He should be judged on what he can do in a semi functional team.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
can't agree, bro....Souths weren't even travelling that well when Latrell got injured. Go back and watch their games from their run last year....it's not as though he was just finishing what others started....he was creating opportunities and making linebreaks and was a big part of their dramatic change in form.

Souths didn't make him look good, we make him look bad.....just like we do with more or less every player who comes here.....Barrett didn't help by shifting him from fullback after three games, either.....two of them in horrendous conditions. He may not be the quickest, but he can make linebreaks and he has skills. Way too early to give up on him.
Well I hope he comes good but I can't see it.

I just see him as another Crapa.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Well I hope he comes good but I can't see it.

I just see him as another Crapa.
Wow...that's harsh, lol. I really liked what i saw of him last year. I think behind a good pack and with better halves, he'll go pretty good.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Any backline player we bring in is going to look ordinary until our halves start running the team well and our forwards start dominating. He should be judged on what he can do in a semi functional team.
I can compare Allan to what we have already tho. I don't think he makes our best 17 next year at this stage. He isn't 1st choice fullback, he isn't a winger (too slow) and he's 3rd choice centre (low sample size of Schoupp, but I've been impressed so far). The only thing that's going to get him into the team is his pay packet. I hope that changes but that's where he's at atm, not good.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I can compare Allan to what we have already tho. I don't think he makes our best 17 next year at this stage. He isn't 1st choice fullback, he isn't a winger (too slow) and he's 3rd choice centre (low sample size of Schoupp, but I've been impressed so far). The only thing that's going to get him into the team is his pay packet. I hope that changes but that's where he's at atm, not good.
I think Allan is definitely our best option at fullback. He showed he can be very good at the back for souths last year. DWZ is not a fullback in any way, shape or form. He goes well for a little while whenever he gets shifted there, then his form disappears. Even when he is playing well there he only really offers good positional play and kick returns....he has no ball playing ability. Meaney tries hard, but has no x factor. Allan is the best fullback on our books and that's where he should be playing. having said that, I'd still take him in the centres over Schoupp at this stage. Schoupp is young and has a lot of talent. He's a natural centre and will probably be the better centre in the long term. I like him....but he needs to work on his defensive game a bit. If Elliott made as many defensive misreads as Schoupp made last week, the kennel would have a collective conniption. I'd also take him at 5/8 over wakeham, but that's another story.

If we sign a better fullback and Barrett doesn't see Allan as a long term centre, I think he'll do well elsewhere....then the threads questioning why we let him go will start. This joint is too quick to write off players who are new faces in a shocking team.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Allan is definitely our best option at fullback. He showed he can be very good at the back for souths last year. DWZ is not a fullback in any way, shape or form. He goes well for a little while whenever he gets shifted there, then his form disappears. Even when he is playing well there he only really offers good positional play and kick returns....he has no ball playing ability. Meaney tries hard, but has no x factor. Allan is the best fullback on our books and that's where he should be playing. having said that, I'd still take him in the centres over Schoupp at this stage. Schoupp is young and has a lot of talent. He's a natural centre and will probably be the better centre in the long term. I like him....but he needs to work on his defensive game a bit. If Elliott made as many defensive misreads as Schoupp made last week, the kennel would have a collective conniption. I'd also take him at 5/8 over wakeham, but that's another story.

If we sign a better fullback and Barrett doesn't see Allan as a long term centre, I think he'll do well elsewhere....then the threads questioning why we let him go will start. This joint is too quick to write off players who are new faces in a shocking team.
It's subjective and you're allowed to have that opinion but reality is Baz gave him instructions and things to work on was unable to do so for whatever reason, we slowly watched him drop down to 3rd in the pecking order below DWZ and Meaney (I don't think either are good enough for us and Allan is below both of them). Like I said with Schoupp low sample size but if he continues to play like he has he's the best option next year to partner with Naden imo (Alamoti also coming through after that). He's just more talented. I don't see us signing another fullback unless we move someone on like DWZ and/or Allan, we've already spent too much salary cap there. I'm not writing Allan off completely but until he shows/proves otherwise (and arguably at full strength like I said probably doesn't deserve to be in the team, that's how bad he's going) that's where he's atm.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It's subjective and you're allowed to have that opinion but reality is Baz gave him instructions and things to work on was unable to do so for whatever reason, we slowly watched him drop down to 3rd in the pecking order below DWZ and Meaney (I don't think either are good enough for us and Allan is below both of them). Like I said with Schoupp low sample size but if he continues to play like he has he's the best option next year to partner with Naden imo (Alamoti also coming through after that). He's just more talented. I don't see us signing another fullback unless we move someone on like DWZ and/or Allan, we've already spent too much salary cap there. I'm not writing Allan off completely but until he shows/proves otherwise (and arguably at full strength like I said probably doesn't deserve to be in the team, that's how bad he's going) that's where he's atm.
I'm starting to think Barrett is a bit clueless, mate....I wouldn't necessarily trust his judgment. This is the guy that signed a player who was already really low on confidence in Kyle Flanagan and immediately heaped extra pressure on him by comparing him to the best halfback in the game. He did not give Allan long enough. Allan played three games at the back....two of them in abysmal conditions behind a badly beaten forward pack....he didn't have an opportunity to show much in those games, but was solid given the conditions. He had a bit of a shocker in round three and Barrett shifting him was a knee jerk reaction to that. I don't really believe it had much to do with Allan not taking his feedback on board. If it was, why did he give other key spine players like Flanagan and Avo a lot longer to find their feet. If they have been following his instructions, he doesn't give very good instructions (excluding Flanagan against the knights. He had a blinder that game.)

In any case, Allan is contracted to the club now....we have enough players off contract....Barrett can't afford to go around releasing players he signed so recently on top of all the other cattle we;ll be losing. What would that say to others who are considering coming here about his confidence in his own plans? I don't think Allan is on that much anyway. He's at very least the best fullback we currently have at the club and if we sign another, he's a more than handy backup. Last year he was one of the form fullbacks in the comp.