Gimme the “D”

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we have Foran and the attack is a little better and hopefully it builds into something nice to watch.. But where the f@ck has our defense gone from last year.. The player turnaround hasn’t been the extreme.. We had the 3rd best “d” last year.. Any answers welcome..

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Playing Des ball was our D. No offloads, kill the ball on the last, Lichaa not running the ball to conserve energy for Defense, plus we had Toilers like Graham and Tolman doing most of the tackling .

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they are trying to offload him, but my quick fix would be to start Tolman at lock and be given the job to do nothing but Tackle Tackle and then Tackle around the ruck, in a similar role to what Grimaldi used to do for us in his time.

You might not like Tolman in attack, but on many occasions in his time with us he was always pulling of line break saving & try saving tackles (remember that classic try saver on the line in the 2012 final Vs Manly with about a minute to go. I think Inu came up with a trademark dumb play to hand over possession, I was certainly thankful of Tolmans efforts that night).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they are trying to offload him, but my quick fix would be to start Tolman at lock and be given the job to do nothing but Tackle Tackle and then Tackle around the ruck, in a similar role to what Grimaldi used to do for us in his time.

You might not like Tolman in attack, but on many occasions in his time with us he was always pulling of line break saving & try saving tackles (remember that classic try saver on the line in the 2012 final Vs Manly with about a minute to go. I think Inu came up with a trademark dumb play to hand over possession, I was certainly thankful of Tolmans efforts that night).
There's no value in that in todays game, players need to contribute in both attack and defence and Tolman simply doesn't.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we have Foran and the attack is a little better and hopefully it builds into something nice to watch.. But where the f@ck has our defense gone from last year.. The player turnaround hasn’t been the extreme.. We had the 3rd best “d” last year.. Any answers welcome..
The reason I thought we could be top 4 was based on our defense, I wasn’t expecting 66 points against in the first two rounds! Issues with desire, attitude, commitment, playing for one another, pride in the jersey, respect for the fans and the history of what this club was built on (signs of “dogs of war” defense) is non existent in the first two rounds! Actions speak louder than words, unfortunately so far we’re all talk!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It seems like we've switched to an umbrella defense this season and it's catching some of our players out on the edges. For a team that has used a sliding defense for a few years it might take quite a while to adjust to. Looking at last year and the way Lee used to always rush out of the line makes me think that the Raiders were using that umbrella defense at the club. It's not particularly effective on the edges because any misread can isolate players and help from the defenders inside can't always adjust in time.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our defense wasn’t good under hasler.
We just played such simple, boring, mistake free footy, that the opposition had less ball and in difficult areas.
Now we’ve gone the other way, we’re dropping so much ball, it’s impossible to stop good teams from scoring on us.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know who is coaching the tema to keep moving backwards in defence. We conceed so many metres as a result it's almost criminal.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no value in that in todays game, players need to contribute in both attack and defence and Tolman simply doesn't.

Defense was 3rd in the league last year man..
Def difference between last year and the first two games..

I just watched the tiger v storm and storm scores 1 try.. we are worse than the tigers this year ffs...

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just played such simple, boring, mistake free footy, that the opposition had less ball and in difficult areas.
Now we’ve gone the other way, we’re dropping so much ball, it’s impossible to stop good teams from scoring on us.
Man we made plenty of mistakes last year.. Poor attack, last play options were pathetic to say the least.. We are doing a bit better in attack but we need to defend like last year..
just don’t understand how we have gone backwards like this.

Maybe in a few weeks when we get a little match fit it may change..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man we made plenty of mistakes last year.. Poor attack, last play options were pathetic to say the least.. We are doing a bit better in attack but we need to defend like last year..
just don’t understand how we have gone backwards like this.

Maybe in a few weeks when we get a little match fit it may change..
I for one didn’t expect to lose the first two games, let alone concede that many points. But in hindsight and taking my blue and white glasses off I can see why so many tipped us to finish outside of the eight.
It will come but it’s going to take a hell of a lot of patience. I really feel for Pay because I know he has an emotional attachment to the club he won a premiership with, but he can’t help what he has inherited from scumbag Des.

We just don’t have enough spark in our side. I get jealous when I see other clubs buying energetic players with youth, pace and skill. How on earth do clubs like Melbourne just keep producing champions. They are definitely not coming from Victoria. Why can’t we get those players. Do we have talent scouts at our club at all. Surely it’s not that hard to see someone with talent and recruit them.

For example, Why don’t we have some of those flying Fijian wingers that we see in the NRL. What is it with our club? I just don’t get it, can someone enlighten me?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think one reason could be Mbye not communicating from the back. Organising isn’t one of his strong points and a lot of the missed tackles are from gaps between players being too wide and in today’s game it’s the full backs job to be watching this and telling players where to go.

kempsey

New Pup
Reaction score
OK so can someone tell me Woods tackle count from last night. Not when he flops in on someone else tackle. His actual first contact tackle.
Woods may be OK in an attacking play but he does not but in the tackles
He is nothing but a flopper

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These clowns downed tools for Hasler because his football was too negative yet they are being exposed badly when they play expansive football.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think one reason could be Mbye not communicating from the back. Organising isn’t one of his strong points and a lot of the missed tackles are from gaps between players being too wide and in today’s game it’s the full backs job to be watching this and telling players where to go.
It's not that. At Perth he was talking the house down organising the defence. If two FG players can't see they are too wide apart when a speed man is running towards them then nothing the FB says is going to fix it.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Many Kennelers dont appreciate Tolman, the same with Graham..

These sort of players always have a role to play in any 17

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our completion rate 83 whist Roosters 65%

They still pumped us

Status
Not open for further replies.