George Floyd trial

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how many different camera angles there are of incidents (police body cams, bystanders etc). Surely from all of the footage the truth can be found, whichever way that happens to be.

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ve been really interested. Originally I thought the cops were obviously guilty but after seeing the evidence in court it’s pretty clear Floyd died of a drug over dose complicated by his existing medical conditions.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I’ve been really interested because I’m a cop. Originally I thought the cops were obviously guilty but after seeing the evidence in court it’s pretty clear Floyd died of a drug over dose complicated by his existing medical conditions.
Careful, you might be labelled racist if you don't follow the media's agenda...

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve been really interested because I’m a cop. Originally I thought the cops were obviously guilty but after seeing the evidence in court it’s pretty clear Floyd died of a drug over dose complicated by his existing medical conditions.
From what I've seen it seems a lot of the charges he has are going to be very hard to prove without a doubt and as you mentioned, it is look pretty clear from the evidence that Floyd had died of the drug overdose mixed with complications from existing medical conditions.

I feel like there is pressure to get a guilty verdict, especially from people looking outside in. There is definitely a lot of tension involved around this case.

I think if he gets off we will see a repeat of the L.A Riots.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's definitely going to be a very difficult trial. The medical evidence isn't clear cut so the defence can safely argue that he may have died due to the drugs and medical conditions, and the prosecution can argue that the officer's efforts are the trigger that caused the death, and neither can be fully confirmed.

The overdose has too much doubt in it though. The defence said that his drug levels were high enough to kill a person, but the medical examiner stated that Floyd had developed a resistance to the drugs and could have taken more, and there was no evidence of overdose. But the death was due to cardiac arrest, not asphyxiation. So the argument is over whether:

1) what the officer did was required at the time and based on standard procedures and..

2) if Floyd would have died if he wasn't put in that situation

It reminds me of the legal thought experiment they discuss in law. If a man jumps off a roof and is falling to his death, but you shoot and kill him before he hits the ground, is that murder? Except in this case we don't know if the officer killed him, or if he would have died without the officer's intervention.

It's too difficult to say for certain who is right in this case. You would think there would be enough reasonable doubt for the officer to get off, but I think emotion and fear may come into it. And the city is afraid that if they don't find him guilty, then there'll be riots.

It's sad the amount of influence the fear of the people could have on actual justice.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most telling thing in the footage is that he was already yelling I can't breathe when no officers were on him (in back of police car). He continued yelling it once pinned on the ground. The guy was off his head.. he either died of accidental positional asphyxiation (main contributor of drugs and his health status - covid positive too remember), or of another medical condition. The cops should get off, but it seems like a witch hunt and if they are found not guilty you can be sure of more riots and unrest.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
From what I've seen it seems a lot of the charges he has are going to be very hard to prove without a doubt and as you mentioned, it is look pretty clear from the evidence that Floyd had died of the drug overdose mixed with complications from existing medical conditions.

I feel like there is pressure to get a guilty verdict, especially from people looking outside in. There is definitely a lot of tension involved around this case.

I think if he gets off we will see a repeat of the L.A Riots.
That's exactly whats going to happen, innocent = riots.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What about the actual actions of the cop?

Excessive under the circumstances when Floyd was already cuffed?

Various bystanders calling out to confirm he was loosing consciousness and that the officer should therefore release him from the knee to the throat?

Essentially it could be argued the cop displayed careless disregard. Hands in pocket. Still determinedly applying pressure to a prone, handcuffed, obviously breathing distressed perp? assailant? person?

The street witnesses and shop assistant eye witnesses are all giving very emotional testimony.

Officer could get off murder but will have to pay some sort of price, along with his buddies, otherwise yeah can see LA all over again.

i think that will eventually be where the judgement will lie? Were his actions a reasonable use of force and restraint.

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What about the actual actions of the cop?

Excessive under the circumstances when Floyd was already cuffed?

Various bystanders calling out to confirm he was loosing consciousness and that the officer should therefore release him from the knee to the throat?

Essentially it could be argued the cop displayed careless disregard. Hands in pocket. Still determinedly applying pressure to a prone, handcuffed, obviously breathing distressed perp? assailant? person?

The street witnesses and shop assistant eye witnesses are all giving very emotional testimony.

Officer could get off murder but will have to pay some sort of price, along with his buddies, otherwise yeah can see LA all over again.

i think that will eventually be where the judgement will lie? Were his actions a reasonable use of force and restraint.
I reckon some American cops can be heavy handed but I don’t see it in this case.

The issue is that the facts of the case don’t support the idea that any of the cops intentionally killed The bloke. As in they didn’t consciously ‘want’ to kill him. That is what needs to be proven for murder.

i doubt manslaughter can be proven either. Especially because the bloke had Covid, heart complications, a very lengthy history of drug addiction and the worst part is that there is video showing the bloke swallowing fentanyl pills just as the cops approached him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I reckon some American cops can be heavy handed but I don’t see it in this case.

The issue is that the facts of the case don’t support the idea that any of the cops intentionally killed The bloke. As in they didn’t consciously ‘want’ to kill him. That is what needs to be proven for murder.

i doubt manslaughter can be proven either. Especially given Floyd had Covid, heart complications, a very lengthy history of drug addiction and the worst part is that there is video showing the bloke swallowing fentanyl pills just as the cops approached him.
Agree with what you say but the cops didn't know of the drug use at the time.

It looks like overkill to me and break down of duty of care. The guy was erratic but chilled even in the initial contact. Then was agitated but compliant and handcuffed BEHIND his back. No way the police could rightly assume they were in danger.

The cop who personally knew him was derelict in his duty to serve and protect (to the letter of the law).

The job is thankless and be very fraught over there with ghetto crime, drugs and gun carrying by almost everyone.

You still need cops acting lawfully and who aren't on power trips tho. Several of the pleading bystanders demanding he stop were firefighters or other Govt officers who offered resusitation assistance...they could tell of the impending bad outcome.

The Minneapolis police dept have never trained officers in his method of control so Chauvin just applied it at his own discretion.

I believe Chauvin has other complaints made against him.

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree with what you say but the cops didn't know of the drug use at the time.

It looks like overkill to me and break down of duty of care. The guy was erratic but chilled even in the initial contact. Then was agitated but compliant and handcuffed BEHIND his back. No way the police could rightly assume they were in danger.

The cop who personally knew him was derelict in his duty to serve and protect (to the letter of the law).

The job is thankless and be very fraught over there with ghetto crime, drugs and gun carrying by almost everyone.

You still need cops acting lawfully and who aren't on power trips tho. Several of the pleading bystanders demanding he stop were firefighters or other Govt officers who offered resusitation assistance...they could tell of the impending bad outcome.

The Minneapolis police dept have never trained officers in his method of control so Chauvin just applied it at his own discretion.

I believe Chauvin has other complaints made against him.
I agree it looks bad on first viewing but once you dig into it you learn more.

The Minneapolis police dept does train their officers to use a knee on the neck:https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...ses/27-CR-20-12951-TKL/Exhibit67807072020.pdf

Attachments

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[
I agree it looks bad on first viewing but once you dig into it you learn more.

The Minneapolis police dept does train their officers to use a knee on the neck:https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...ses/27-CR-20-12951-TKL/Exhibit67807072020.pdf
Not according to court testimony from a serving officer.
Top homicide detective says Derek Chauvin kneeling on George Floyd was 'totally unnecessary'

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A politically motivated prosecution, resulting in the officer being over-charged. Which will probably result in him getting off, which will result in more riots. Painting Floyd (a vile criminal) as a saint and a martyr for politically motivated reasons has been a mistake, as there are now unrealistic expectations that this cop should be convicted of murder. The media are also heavily complicit in this. Toxicology indicates a drug overdose, and nothing about the incident (no matter how poor the optics were) indicate murder (from a legal standpoint). Even trying to prove manslaughter, might have been a bridge too far. There may have been lesser charges that might have stood a chance of success, but they decided to go all out to make a point. Even if there is an unlikely conviction, it will be eventually overturned in an appeal process. In America, where cops are frequently murdered, they just don't take chances with criminals, and I don't blame them.

Last edited:

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
[

Not according to court testimony from a serving officer.
Top homicide detective says Derek Chauvin kneeling on George Floyd was 'totally unnecessary'

These articles are showing half the story. It’s not showing how the defence lawyers are picking apart the “expert” testimonies after this. The defence has even decided to call a prosecution witness as their own witness when the time comes.

I suggest actually watching the trial yourself and not use biased articles from CNN as evidence.