News Geoff Robinson - time to help out

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone hear remember Robbo and John Coveney standing up to , and then some, against Royce Ayliffe and John Harvey (test props, and much bigger men) in the 1980 semi at the SCG. The Roosters tried the thug tactics, and it backfired. Our boys never took a backward step. Two weeks later we beat them again in the Grand FINAL, with Steve Gearin scoring one of the all time great tries.

I sat on the hill with my dad, for both games, and remember it like it was yesterday.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Anyone hear remember Robbo and John Coveney standing up to , and then some, against Royce Ayliffe and John Harvey (test props, and much bigger men) in the 1980 semi at the SCG. The Roosters tried the thug tactics, and it backfired. Our boys never took a backward step. Two weeks later we beat them again in the Grand FINAL, with Steve Gearin scoring one of the all time great tries.

I sat on the hill with my dad, for both games, and remember it like it was yesterday.
:triumph:

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Too young myself but my dad used to talk about robbo all the time growing up would’ve loved to see him and all the other legends play back in the day
Robbo was an absolute legend. I became a Dogs fan watching Glossop’s Entertainers, and our props Robbo and Coveney were the unsung heroes that allowed our halves and pacy backline to do their thing.

check out ‘1979 Try of the Season’ on youtube (alas I’m too much of an old fart to know how to upload this kind of shit). Could someone else put it up here please. Robbo handles the ball 3 times in the movement and the ball goes through about 20 pairs of hands before Anderson finally scores. The guy had untapped skills!

All strength to you Robbo. You made us proud to follow our beloved club, and you remind us of everything that is good about the Dogs.

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mad dog robbo ,what a legend ,just worked hard and tough as nails,more of our young forwards should take a leaf out of his book and we'd be in far better position,get well mate

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, we all had our favourite players but I think it's safe to say, every Bulldogs fan loved "Robbo"
The media loved him too. His flying hair and headlong runs with the ball earned him the affectionate "wild man" label from Ray Warren.

He was tough but never dirty; just treated opposition forwards like ninepins, and never took a backward step, or sidestep.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If toughness,determination and bravery are all that is needed to win this battle ,Robbo wins hands (and socks) down. Good luck and best wishes Robbo

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
If you're bored tonight...
Had highlights of the game on Fox today. Robbo was one of our best that day - showed that when your a front rower against a fullback - who needs to step. (We won't mention he was one of the 5 in the Grothe try).

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I work with one of Robbo's family members and, with the family members permission, thought I would share this.

“To all the Canterbury Bulldogs or sporting fans in general, Geoff Robinson is currently battling Cancer and the Robinson family are encouraging fans to send messages to give him the extra support to help him keep fighting. Geoff was always a fan favourite and loved getting involved in the community. If you wish to send him a message please do so on geoff.robbo1@outlook.com. Have a great day.”

I'd encourage everyone to send him a message to let him know he will always be part of the B&W family and that we're all there with him as he fights the big fight.
Received a thank you response from Simone (Robbo's daughter), he and the family are appreciating the messages. Thanks for those who have sent something and if you haven't, worth taking the time to do so. We're still the family club, we look after our own.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wild man has got this. Bash & beat that bullshit cancer!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keep emailing Geoff fellow Kennellers, i just got a reply via his daughter Simone thanking me and saying their all being read and are heartwarming to Robbo :hearteyes: