1. The Kennel is saddened to hear of the passing of one of their much loved members (Izzy Forreal).

Kennelers are invited to pay their respects in the following threads:

Vale: Izzy Forreal

Official Site Statement
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Gay marriage plebiscite - Result YES to SSM

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bad Billy, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not Voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lov_Dog

Lov_Dog Kennel Enthusiast

I have watched this tread, rarely commenting, mainly acknowledging support through likes/funny/best/love emoji.
    Today, as an Australian I am proud of our democratic process to implement changes to the marriage law that will cease discrimination. For the most part I have respected all opinions/observations commented here and appreciated the debate and hearing folks honest concerns.
    However, what happened today recognizes me and my relationship as equal under the law of the land. And I cannot quite yet articulate how proud I am to be finally considered equal.
    I genuinely thank each and every one of you who have dedicated your valuable time on an issue that will likely have little to no impact on your lives, but is massive for me and mine. Your involvement in this historic democratic process ensured it was a true representation of the populous opinion, given the high return of postal votes.
    I voted from Singapore, as you would expect.

Comment #6761 in this tread is testament to the kennel community and our beliefs, values and ability to communicate.

I am thankful to you all.

Best,
    ~c.

caveat; I by no means endorse the ridiculous waste of funding spent on the plebiscite. Alas, its now final, over, complete!
    Q.E.D.

• Best Post Best Post x 6
    • Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Hacky McAxe

Hacky McAxe Immortal Gilded

@Lov_Dog congrats. You wrote that with much pride and much humility. It's great to see you can finally get what you deserve and it's great to see that you provide much respect to both sides and that you're not a bad winner who attacks the other side just because they lost. With that said, now it's my turn........

Suck it Conservatives! Suck it long and hard... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

• Best Post Best Post x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Immortal

Well said @Lov_Dog.
    I think even those against SSM won’t be able to read your post and not feel a sense of pride for our sister.
    I guess the only questions left are, when’s the wedding ? And is the kennel invited ?

• Like Like x 3
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Immortal Gilded

Tbh, I never thought about your sexuality/orientation... here was me just think you were liking my comments :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Lov_Dog

Gracias, fine sir! Your accurate and unwavering support was duly noted throughout the thread as well as several other Kennelers who personally reached out privately to check in on me and extend their support.
    We are very lucky to share such a rich and diverse group of people on this forum.
    It's based purely on respect, even when we don't get along or agree.
    ~smile~

~c.

• Love Love x 2
  6. Lov_Dog

Means a lot, @Bad Billy ... appreciate your kind words.
    For me, the emphasis of marriage equality is based solely in the meaning of equality. We are now recognized, whether we choose to marry, or not - the choice now exists. When I marry, the Kennel are more than welcome to join!

~c.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hacky McAxe

Kennel Wedding!

Me and Southy will cook. BBQ Smoked meat. What more could you want?

• Like Like x 1
  8. DoggiesBoy

DoggiesBoy Kennel Enthusiast Gilded

Sounds like a plan :grinning: ... Huge big congratulations to ya @Lov_Dog

• Love Love x 2
  9. CaptainJackson

CaptainJackson Kennel Addict Gilded

Wish you all the best ~c (almost accidentally used your name). Always an equal in my and many others eyes, Always.

10. Zee

Zee Immortal Gilded

to be honest I am a bit a shocked to find out about your sexual orientation... I thought you found me attractive that is why you always liked my posts, but now I also found out that you did the same to @CroydonDog ... so double shock! lol

you already know my point of view on this subject as in my eyes you are as human as I am hence you have equal rights to do what ever you want.... getting a piece of paper is not going to make any difference in my respect for you to be honest, but if that makes you happy then all the best.

love you lov dog.

• Love Love x 2
  11. TANK 2.0

TANK 2.0 Assyrian King Gilded

Sis, you didn't need to wait till today for us to consider you as equal, you have always been equal, I'm my eyes and I'm sure all of us there.

I didn't vote because there was no guarantee about religious protections until it was to late.

But obviously my vote wouldn't of mattered anyways but again I put it on the incompetent arseholes "running" the joint.

So enjoy you equality and marry yourself a hottie ;)

And if she hurts You, I will make her a beautiful set of concrete boots and take her for a boat ride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Dawgfather

Dawgfather Previously Britt Wall

Lol years of the parliament’s time wasted, hundreds of millions of taxpayers money wasted, all so a tiny minority can ‘feel’ equal, despite already having ‘actual’ equality all along?

My biggest sadness is that it doesn’t end here. Gays and their ‘allies’ will not be letting this go, starting with the “free town hall marriages for gays only” and now apparently part of the NYE fireworks will be a ‘celebration of SSM’. More taxpayers $$$ spent publishing something that millions of Australians Cleary disagree with.

Just when you thought you could enjoy the one night a year without political messages and move on from the lefty media shoving SSM down your throats - there it will be, a dirty big rainbow on the harbour bridge.

I personally don’t think this was about equality, it was about bullying until you get what you want. Not looking forward to seeing what the next issue is that they start running with.

13. TANK 2.0

FFS go watch Frozen and let it go. It's win win, us religious folks are protected and LBGQTI... Get to be recognised.

But on a totally different matter, only thing I'm worried about is this love is love thing will be hijacked by evil cunts like pedos and animal fuckers.

The gay community will be linked to those cunts like religious people were linked to bigotry.

But let them have fun, I'm sure your life isn't effect by This, apart from the time and money wasted by the small balled, big mouthed government.

PS I'm not talking down at you at all, I'm not better than you or anyone. I'm just another cunt with my own view on things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Dawgfather

I can honestly say I’m happy for any gay people who take happiness from this. I have no issues with that at all.

But don’t you think this was such a huge waste of everyone’s time? Wouldn’t it be great if our politicians were bullied into agreeing on matters and policy that actually affect the majority of Australians, like economic policy, industrial relations, tax etc?

• Like Like x 2
  15. TANK 2.0

You're preaching to the choir brother, I said that from the start, hence not voting. Even the sensible yes voters were saying what we were.

That's why my beef was the incompetent coward government. They turned the sheep against the other now that piece of shit turdbull broke out his tweezers and had a wank over something he was too fucking scared to do.

And you wonder why every ballot I have attended I vote for Saddam Hussien or "if you read this, i just had a threesome with your wife and sister" lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Dawgfather

Lol, true.

Although personally, I find it ironic and a little amusing that the gays should be thanking a liberal government (which they’ll never do), for creating an avenue for gay marriage to be passed.

While the supposedly progressive labor government are on record as saying marriage is between a man and woman (which I have to point out I do agree with).

My biggest gripe (and this won’t be news to anyone) is that politicians are so ineffective at achieving anything that significantly benefits the country.

Any policy that could be positive is shouted down or debated endlessly until it never sees the light of day. While this ‘feel good’ SSM thing gets ‘rushed through’ parliament so all the politicians can get their photos taken with rainbow scarves or rainbow socks, just so they don’t piss off 0.5% of the population + their media buddies.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hacky McAxe

Right. That's done. Next step is to ban heterosexual marriage. Yes. My plan is coming to fruition.

18. TANK 2.0

I'm not voting yes....

I'm voting FUCK YES!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. CroydonDog

As someone who has done it twice, I would have appreciated a ban before the first one, but then I realised the issue was my poor choices, not marriage :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. CroydonDog

Anyone remember those nutters from Canberra who vowed to divorce if SSM got up? Well, surprise, surprise, they aren't going through with it....

Too bad. So sad.

What now for couple who vowed to divorce if gay marriage became legal?
    THIS couple who declared their decade-long marriage would be over if gay marriage became legal have spoken after tonight’s vote.

[​IMG]
    Debbie Schipp
    @debbieschipp
    [​IMG]
    news.com.auDECEMBER 7, 20177:21PM

THEY vowed to divorce if Australia said Yes to same sex marriage.

They’ve been in a holding pattern since the postal survey gave them their answer.

But Nick and Sarah Jensen said they’d wait to see what shape the law took in parliament.

Now they know.

And, well, their response might disappoint you.

In a statement to news.com.au immediately after Australia’s House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to legalise same sex marriage, Mr Jensen backed away from his once-bold stance.

“My previous public comments regarding civil divorce never envisaged me separating from my wife, but rather our marriage from the state,” he said.

“The legislation currently makes it untenable for us to do this under the law. The point we were highlighting and that still stands however is the fact that a redefinition of marriage changes the agreement under which we were originally married.

“We will be making no further comment.”

The Christian couple captured national attention in 2015 with a very public pledge to end their marriage — despite the fact they’re very much in love — if gay couples were also allowed to wed.

“My wife and I just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary but later this year we may be getting a divorce,” Mr Jensen told Canberra City News back then.

“As Christians, we believe marriage is not a human invention,” he wrote.

“Our view is that marriage is a fundamental order of creation. Part of God’s intimate story for human history. Marriage is the union of a man and a woman before a community in the sight of God. And the marriage of any couple is important to God regardless of whether that couple recognises God’s involvement or authority in it.

“My wife and I, as a matter of conscience, refuse to recognise the government’s regulation of marriage if its definition includes the solemnisation of same sex couples.”

But he said it would not be a traditional divorce.

“After our divorce, we’ll continue to live together, hopefully for another 50 years. And, God willing, we’ll have more children. We’ll also continue to refer to each other as ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ and consider ourselves married by the Church and before God.”

After the public divorce proclamation, 100,000 people signed up to attend a Facebook event called ‘Celebrating Nick and Sarah Jensen’s divorce’.

When the same sex survey Yes result was announced last month, quick-thinking lawyer Michael Tiyce offered to help them with the legalities of divorce.

“My firm does quite a bit of pro bono work in family law each year in the gay, lesbian and trans community. I thought offering assistance to Nick and Sarah would be an excellent way of reaching out across communities with my family law expertise, because quite simply they are going to need it,” he said.

It would be needed for questions like whether the couple could legally divorce without separating for one year, as Federal law requires.

The Jensen’s didn’t take up the offer.

Mr Jensen told the Mail Online he and Sarah would wait to see what any change to the marriage law is before publicly announcing their future plans.

‘We just need to see the legislation and if it all goes that way,’ he said.

[​IMG]
    Picture of a post on Nick Jensen's Facebook page. Source: Facebook/Nick JensenSource:Facebook

‘Then we know what situation we’re in and what we’re going to do.’

The pair maintained a low profile in the media throughout the debate, but the Nick Jensen Facebook page carried a picture of the couple with an, “It’s OK to vote No” Coalition for Marriage banner, and featured posts with Mr Jensen debating the issue.

Mr and Mrs Jensen married at the age of 21 and were high school sweethearts for several years before that.

“When we signed that official-looking marriage certificate 10 years ago at Tuggeranong Baptist Church, we understood that the state was endorsing marriage, as currently defined, as the fundamental social institution — with all that this implied,” Mr Jensen wrote in 2015.

“But if this is no longer the case, then we no longer wish to be associated with this new definition.

“The truth is, ‘marriage’ is simply too important. It is a sacred institution, ordained by God. It has always been understood to be that exclusive relationship where one man and one woman become “one flesh”. Any attempt to change the definition of marriage by law is not something in which we are able to partake.”

The response to their declaration was vicious, with Mr Jensen’s brother, Soren, penning his own article, saying that while he disagreed with Nick’s stance, he respected and defended his right to say and believe it.

“He is not a loony, a religious nut or any of the many other descriptions being thrown around. Nor is he a hateful person,” Soren wrote.

“He is an intelligent, reasoned man making an argument and a stand on his principles and his religious truth on this issue.

“But his statement has hurt people. He is actively involved in the Australian Christian Lobby and this is their moment in the sun on the issue. And the internet has responded accordingly.

“I disapprove of what my brother has said, but I will defend to the death his right to say it. And your right to respond. But let’s do so in a way that is constructive.”.

• Funny Funny x 2