Gary McIntyre attempts shock return 16 years after salary cap scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Gary McIntyre, the man at the centre of the Bulldogs salary cap scandal, could make a shock return to the corridors of power at Belmore.

Fairfax Media can reveal McIntyre could be back on the Canterbury Leagues Club board after running as an independent at the upcoming elections. The former leagues club chair was forced to resign from his post over his role in the club’s $1 million salary cap rorts for the 2001-2 seasons, which resulted in a $500,000 fine and the docking of 37 competition points in 2002.

The former administrator submitted his nomination before the 7pm cut-off on Thursday night. Because he is running for a directorship off the floor - he is not one of the four endorsed candidates put forward by the Bulldogs board - it will be up to the members to decide whether they are ready to forgive his role in one of the biggest scandals in Canterbury’s history.

“I played a major part in making the club the most financially successful leagues club in the NRL,” McIntyre told Fairfax Media.

“I’m standing for election to make a further commitment to secure the financials of the club. I’ve given my life to the club. I’m a life member of the football and the leagues clubs and I feel I can make a further contribution.”

McIntyre first became involved with the leagues club at the urging of patriarch Peter "Bullfrog" Moore when the business was almost broke. With the assistance of Ballesty, the pair turned around the business to the point it was the most financially powerful in the game in 2002, making about $19 million before grants. However, McIntyre became the public face of a scandal that threatened to tear apart the "family club". The Bulldogs finished with the wooden spoon that year but recovered to win a premiership two seasons later.

Asked if he expected members to forgive him for his role in the cap scandal, McIntyre said: "I believe the members will remember the contribution I made and I hope they give me another opportunity."

The new Bulldogs board, which swept to power when six of their seven candidates were voted in last month, has nominated Canterbury legend Paul Dunn, former leagues club boss John Ballesty, businessman James Maroon and lawyer Peter Callaghan for four of the board spots. The remaining three director positions are up for grabs.

Ballesty said McIntyre had paid a heavy price for the salary cap dramas and that members should give him another opportunity.

“It was 16 years ago, he has done his time,” Ballesty said. “He was the face of it but … Gary wasn’t the lone ranger a lot of people have made him out to be.

“His efforts made the club what it was. He made a very bad mistake. Those days are gone and done. The salary cap, they broke the system and were found guilty for that. They have done their time.

“If he can offer himself to the members, it’s quite incredible. I never expected that he would and I told him I was surprised he was doing it because people will criticise you.

“He said, ‘If they want to criticise me, they can but I feel I can be of assistance’. It’s up to the members to decide off the floor. I hope they support him. I hope they put him in.

“We do believe that it should be the members’ decision to bring Gary back onto the board, not a football board making that decision for them. Gary would have it any other way. He wouldn’t accept that, he wants to go to the floor with the members making the call, which is very fair.”

Members can vote on the 15th and 16th of March, with the results to be announced at next AGM on March 21st. In all, there will be 15 nominees vying for three seats. NSWRL chairman George Peponis and Steve Mortimer will run, as will long-time former Bulldogs directors George Coorey and Arthur Coorey. Former Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib did not stand for election.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
McIntyre is a forward thinker unfortunately he trusted the wrong people if a few things went our way in the early 2000's we would be playing out of our very own stadium in Liverpool right now and be even more financially secure then we are now.

As for the salary cap no one can tell me others haven't been rorting it for years we just happened to get caught.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary is a good mate of mine I won,t deny that but and as the article said he wasnt the lone ranger everyone made him out to be, he only bleeds blue and white since the late 50,s and was the principal reason the club went from financial ruin to the richest club in the competition, He is much more qualified to do this again than his oponents.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
McIntyre is a forward thinker unfortunately he trusted the wrong people if a few things went our way in the early 2000's we would be playing out of our very own stadium in Liverpool right now and be even more financially secure then we are now.

As for the salary cap no one can tell me others haven't been rorting it for years we just happened to get caught.
Absofuckenlutely

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No.
A guy that led us to the most humiliating moment in the club history? Really?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We got caught breaching the cap because Constantinides threw the club to the wolves regarding the fact that the Oasis deal included personal sponsorship for some players as far as my memory goes.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So if mr bondi, AKA uncle nik, finally gets caught rorting the cap for the last 20 years will all the roosters supporters hate him??
Every team is doing there very best to get around the cap. Some teams get caught, and others dont.
Given he was the architect of making our club a financial powerhouse, i would be happy to see him back on the leagues club board. Im sure he wont be trying to rort the cap again.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This isn't the first time he's tried to come back right?

I have no opinion on this by the way. All I care about is the on-field results.
He tried getting on the Football Club board in 2008

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Woah woah woah ... so most people gave Dib shit, and he was the worst in the world, despite others being involved in fucking the club up, because they held him solely accountable for being at the top.

Yet McIntyre does this and everyone blames everyone else.

LOL ok.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Woah woah woah ... so most people gave Dib shit, and he was the worst in the world, despite others being involved in fucking the club up, because they held him solely accountable for being at the top.

Yet McIntyre does this and everyone blames everyone else.

LOL ok.
It’s pretty simple McIntyre got premierships when he was involved Dib didn’t and that’s the most important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.