Garry Hughes talks: George Peponis walks

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Garry Hughes opens up about about returning to Bulldogs fold

Gary Hughes says he has finally gotten closure from Canterbury after receiving an apology over his treatment following the Coffs Harbour scandal.

The memberships of the Hughes clan were officially restored at a Bulldogs ambassadors’ grand final luncheon at Bankstown Sports Club on Friday.

BULLDOGS
Hughes family welcomed back by Bulldogs at grand final luncheon

"I’ve always loved the club and have always been loyal, I’ve never gone anywhere else," he said.

"It was a very difficult for myself and the family after the events of Coff Harbour. I have always done everything to support the players and the club. There is a difference between stupid and illegal behaviour and the players were never guilty of behaving illegally.

"That situation took a real toll on myself and the family.

"It’s nice to finally get some closure. What happened [on Friday] really meant a lot, the words Lynne Anderson said. It was pretty special."

The matriarch of the Hughes family, Garry’s mother Patricia, died in July. Garry said Anderson and the board reached out during the difficult time and those interactions were an important first step towards mending the divide between the club and the family.

"I’ve got a lot of confidence in the direction the club is heading in with her and the new board in charge," he said.

"I’ve never stopped supporting the club and hopefully there are some good times coming very soon."

Anderson said the luncheon was an emotional day on a number of fronts.

"We made a commitment in our election campaign to reignite the Bulldogs’ family spirit, and that was very evident [on Friday]," Anderson said. "We apologised formally to Garry Hughes and his family in relation to his exit from the club.

"We had the 1988 GF team all speak about the strength in the tight bond they shared as well as the Bulldogs work ethic. And to finish it off there was an inspirational address by Greg Buckley, an up and coming Bulldogs junior whose career was tragically cut short by an injury at Belmore in August 1988. He awoke from a coma several weeks later - on grand final day, and of course a Bulldogs premiership.

"For Greg the life and dreams he had before his injury were over, yet as many who have faced similar adversity, he too forged a different path. Despite never playing first grade, he absolutely feels part of the Bulldogs family - ‘the Bulldogs are my life, they made me the person I am now’, he said - the room was full of tough Bulldogs people but I don’t think there was a dry eye in the room."

The focus of the Hughes family’s anger is believed to be long-time powerbroker George Peponis. A long-time director of the leagues club, Peponis resigned from the board altogether last week. It’s understood two of the "independents" on the board, Morris Iemma and George Kanaan, have done likewise.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love to hear the negative thoughts of mr i. Will keep an eye on this thread in an anticipation of it and a statement on how good dib is and how this article is false.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is that Graeme Hughes in the photo though (not Garry)

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All this stuff adds to our culture and tightness as a club and creates a playing group that will bleed for the club the Anderson’s are doing a wonderful job

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They should boycott the daily tele for what they stalk the team in the hope of selling more papers.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Loved Garry Hughes as a player, not blessed with size or speed, but like Jason Smith He could play in a dinner suit. So much time and vision with ball in hand

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Loved Garry Hughes as a player, not blessed with size or speed, but like Jason Smith He could play in a dinner suit. So much time and vision with ball in hand
If my memory serves me right, I once read he was a state sprint champion before he did his hammies.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was reported Dib and Peponis knocked back Wayne Bennet who wanted to coach us