Official Game Thread : Bulldogs v Sharks Trial 27/02/2021.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We will struggle defensively all round . I’m sorry I don’t have faith in furner . I hope he proves me wrong , but I don’t like his defensive structures .

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thought you were a bit rough on Hopoate, he was good. His try assist was a great draw and pass.

Some people give Elliott some shit but i thought he was great.

Dietz was good. So was Antoni. Flanagan was solid for his first match with us. The attack took some time to warm up, but it showed good signs when it did. The players look fit and keen. Might take a bit of polish before we are at our best though.

Yeh Lewis was shit. He wont see FG if Averillo is fit. Not sure where that leaves Wakeham too.

All in all a match that even though only a trial, provided reasons to feel confident the rebuild is on track.
Probably the best and most honest assessment of the game than anyone in here

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I was happy enough with all of them...after half time.

The effort and aggression kicked in. It lead to improvement all round...they looked like a football team instead of plodders with no clue how to win.

For me its clear Lewis does more harm than good at this stage and we need more from the 9. Deitz looks like he has more ability and potential for the team than JMK or Katao...even with only 20 minutes on the field.

Meaney needs some aggression pills or else shouldnt be re-signed. Hasn't shown enough in 3 years for me. Nice bloke but.

Hoppa is a tough one. Class player but unless he was pacing himself, he will be a liability along with DWZ. I'm afraid those 2 are going to be our weakest link and can't remain alongside each other and be targetted if we want to get a reward for the other player's efforts, who are holding their own. They were rusty, no help from backrower but it looked too easy.

Early days, but I wasn't overly impressed with Flanno. When Wakeham got more involved the team went better. Unless Brandon can start to dominate and show what he's got, he will be surplus to needs so its up to him...coasting no longer good enough in this Baz coached team we hope.

The forwards where all ok. Even Waddell who made a few mistakes but the potential is there I think.

Atoni was brilliant if he can be supported by the coach, he could really be special for us. This guy has been badly developed up till now. He was a great 2ndrower and they put into FR. Probably thats his spot in this team but I really hope Barrett is flexible with all of them and the best players are picked in their best positions first and foremost.

No bloody favourites and guys chucked in to fill a hole who can't handle it. I dont see Barrett doing that tho.

We will struggle bc its a new team, players, structures, coaching staff but its clear the bones are there.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a first hit out it wasn't too bad. Our attack looked clunky at times but that is to be expected. Penrith's attack looked awful for the first few rounds last year so it will take time, especially considering Allen only joined us late in the preseason. I was against the Allen signing but it looks like he might just prove me wrong....and for our sake I hope he does

I thought our attack struggled because we really only have 1 attacking threat in Allen. The other 3 spine players offer jack shit in attack so it's no wonder we didn't look likely in the first half. If you add Avo/Burton and Deitz to that side, and throw in RFM on the edge, along with Baz's new attacking structures, I don't think we'll have an issue scoring points during the season.

The defence overall was OK....except for that horrible right edge. The sooner we piss Hoppa and DWZ off the better. DWZ especially....FMD what a liability. If we miss the 8 this season, it'll be down to those 2 plodders. If the rumour of the Hoppa-Burton swap is true, and it makes financial sense, then bring it on please. Yes we'll lose his experience but I think Schoup can cover for him. He looked good in the limited minutes he had last night

I think Deitz has earned himself a bench spot at least. Yes he was playing against fringe first graders but he looked energetic and fast...he actually looked dangerous out of dummy half and he can kick. Elliot and Atoni were also good last night

Overall it wasn't a bad performance and we got the win. Newcastle got smashed last night so I like our chances of getting a rare Rd 1 win

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have enough depth in our props
Deitz hopefully kicks on
I think we should hold onto Wakeham to see how he comes along the next 2 years, he needs to learn to inject himself
Won't be surprised if Schoupp take's Hoppa's position during the year
Hoppa comming to end his career. Also though the mountys second rower was reasonably good done some reasonable strong defence that rattled on one occasion if I remember write. We have the running back row could use another of back fence runner and Deitz if he can keep it up get a run when he can as was not outclassed on yesterday display

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was happy enough with all of them...after half time.

The effort and aggression kicked in. It lead to improvement all round...they looked like a football team instead of plodders with no clue how to win.

For me its clear Lewis does more harm than good at this stage and we need more from the 9. Deitz looks like he has more ability and potential for the team than JMK or Katao...even with only 20 minutes on the field.

Meaney needs some aggression pills or else shouldnt be re-signed. Hasn't shown enough in 3 years for me. Nice bloke but.

Hoppa is a tough one. Class player but unless he was pacing himself, he will be a liability along with DWZ. I'm afraid those 2 are going to be our weakest link and can't remain alongside each other and be targetted if we want to get a reward for the other player's efforts, who are holding their own. They were rusty, no help from backrower but it looked too easy.

Early days, but I wasn't overly impressed with Flanno. When Wakeham got more involved the team went better. Unless Brandon can start to dominate and show what he's got, he will be surplus to needs so its up to him...coasting no longer good enough in this Baz coached team we hope.

The forwards where all ok. Even Waddell who made a few mistakes but the potential is there I think.

Atoni was brilliant if he can be supported by the coach, he could really be special for us. This guy has been badly developed up till now. He was a great 2ndrower and they put into FR. Probably thats his spot in this team but I really hope Barrett is flexible with all of them and the best players are picked in their best positions first and foremost.

No bloody favourites and guys chucked in to fill a hole who can't handle it. I dont see Barrett doing that tho.

We will struggle bc its a new team, players, structures, coaching staff but its clear the bones are there.
Best summary of day. I don’t understand the hate for Waddell he will get better with his hands. His defence as you Wrigley pointed out was a pass Mark. Unlike Simpson and Britt But to be fair Simpson pretty much most a year and will take sometime to come up to speed or maybe he won’t. But only time will tell

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Best summary of day. I don’t understand the hate for Waddell he will get better with his hands. His defence as you Wrigley pointed out was a pass Mark. Unlike Simpson and Britt But to be fair Simpson pretty much most a year and will take sometime to come up to speed or maybe he won’t. But only time will tell
At least we can feel reasonably confident that we have a coaching staff who can recoognise these problems and player issues.

I'm not too worried about any of them except DWZ. He looks like he will have a target on his head with our opposition.

If he keeps putting the team under pressure, its not good for anyone.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can understand some criticism for Waddell based purely on last nights game. His pass selection and ball control was pretty poor but it does need to be put into context that it was his first hit out in a trial game. If he gets that right having that second phase play is going to be huge for us as we have really lacked that but if last night is a sign of things to come he’s going to be a frustrating player. It’s way too early to call.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because he's not very good lol. Ran a good decoy for DWZ's try but other than that he was poor. Hopefully RFM is fit and him and Elliott are our edges to start the season.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm going to call you Mr Negative
If you understood the game you would realise it is correct. Nothing about being negative just giving an honest assessment that 99% of people on here would agree with

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
If you understood the game you would realise it is correct. Nothing about being negative just giving an honest assessment that 99% of people on here would agree with
Ever heard that saying something's are better left unsaid

silva

Utility
Reaction score
My 2c

Allan - good game, potential
DWZ - absolutely useless
Hoppa - I honestly think h4 needs a new club
Meaney - Basic and very avge
Wakeham- ok game but looked better 2nd half
Flanagan- still finding his feet
Jackson - looks lean fit and better at lock
Elliot- can't stand the dog cnut
Wadell- wasn't flash at all
Ogden- love this bloke, needs to offload more
Katoa - better option than Jmk. Stopgap hooker
Hetherington- underwhelmed

ATONI is gonna only get better
Deitz top game

Lewis is fcuking useless
Rest had ok games

We wont set world on fire this year but promising future ahead for the Dogs
Rubbish post

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Whoever send finishings in carpentry are easier than structure morons Go the Dogs