Official Game Thread : Bulldogs v Sharks Trial 27/02/2021.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
The dogs looking a lot fitter this year. Lots of energy about them. Forwards rolling forward for a change. I was impressed with big Ava too! Big units like him take some stopping and can attract a lot of defence.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone think it was a tactic to play safe in first half and then turn it on in second half? Keeps our cards close to chest for new style of play. Nobody expects anything from us this year. Showing what we can do in trials could make teams expect it from us.

Just seemed like first half they were holding back on purpose. Second half we actually showed what was talked about with fast attack.

Might just be wishful thinking but it makes sense to me.
Wedefinitely played 2 different halfs of football.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah not much communication going on there though Flanno is a liability on that edge which causes Hoppa to push in to help leaving us short. If that is the case Hoppa needs to trust in his inside shoulder and worry about his man whilst DWZ needs to get into the attacking line earlier. The backrower would either be Elliot or RFM who will also hit much harder than Waddell.
Disagree on Flano. For the first try he read the play well and was going inside out, Hoppa came in and DWZ was slow following.
If you are gonna play up and in (outdated defensive pattern) then you must be quick to shutdown play. Defending inside out is the way to go as you will nearly always get the obstruction penalty as the lead runner will hit your outside shoulder.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney made a great run from dummy half after a Cotric quick play the ball. Let's not forget how disjointed our attack was despite winning. I believe the Cotric and Meaney combination is worth persisting with given what the alternatives are ATM... I will never warm to DWZ his card is marked given his wage v output
I thought he was pretty solid too. Majority of our attack was down our rught edge, so he saw very little ball. But defending in the centres for the whole game, he made some solid contact in tacklez and seemed very willing.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes but injuries aside imagine thecdifference for players in nsw cup knowing they could through performing well they could be picked to play in first grade...it gives them even greater incentive to bust their guts and out pressure on the coach to pick them.....i dont like tgis top 30 system...u are picking players u you think are your top 30 playets but its always 5 or do players who could stand out duringvthe year and u cant pick them....sorry dont like this system....dont like how there is no flexibility to bring in other players into first grade during the season

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think they have time to change the top 30, and i think we had kept a few spots open on the off chance we could get either JAC or Burton early. Id hate to see another Cook slip through our fingers, and he did a few things that were Cook-like. Sure, it was a cameo though. I would definitely like to see him play some more
Think we still have one spot. I seem to remember Tyrone Harding leaving, making a vacancy available.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Didnt u just say it was an attitude thing? Make up your mind stevo.. lol
He was very average last night, didn’t do himself any favours . He is a 1000-1 to be in the 17

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Is it worth converting Renouf into our kikau?

He was a centre in juniors and has played 2nd row. Hard to stop and could be used as a strike weapon
He looks quick enough... although I did hear Tbaz is looking at RFM for that job this year.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Negativity will help you climb a mountain by looking for the safe place to put your foot through fear of surviving but it won't win you an NRL premiership

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is it worth converting Renouf into our kikau?

He was a centre in juniors and has played 2nd row. Hard to stop and could be used as a strike weapon
Years ago I would have said yes, but with Elliot, Topine and Doorey I'd be cautious. Only way i could see it happening is if Mariner leaves / or is happy to be a bench player and Renouf has no issue being the bench option long term that could fill middles or edge as required. Was impressed with him yesterday, hopefully he builds off it.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He looks quick enough... although I did hear Tbaz is looking at RFM for that job this year.
Years ago I would have said yes, but with Elliot, Topine and Doorey I'd be cautious. Only way i could see it happening is if Mariner leaves / or is happy to be a bench player and Renouf has no issue being the bench option long term that could fill middles or edge as required. Was impressed with him yesterday, hopefully he builds off it.
RFM on one side, Renouf on the other. Threats from all sides

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
RFM on one side, Renouf on the other. Threats from all sides
No saying it wouldn't work at times throughout the game, just wouldn't have them as starting together in those roles at all.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
SHARKS 12 V BULLDOGS 16

Thumbs up: Trent Barrett has made a positional adjustment from the Dogs of previous seasons by shifting captain Josh Jackson to the middle of the field in the lock-forward role with Adam Elliot taking over the Dogs left-edge. Jackson, with his high workrate and smart footy brain, looked at home in his job, while Elliott was a handful, scoring a try loaded with determination. Cronulla’s Blayke Brailey has a brilliant running game, of which NRL fans are yet to see the best of. But last night, he indicated it’s an area of his game we could see more of with a string of lethal darts that skittled the Dogs defence.

Thumbs down: The Sharks defence. Yes it was only a trial, but leading 12-0 and seemingly in control of the game, the Sharks leaked tries in the 48th, 61st and 65th minute for the Dogs to post 16-straight points. Defence has been a glaring issue for the Sharks over the past two seasons and while held strong in patches, the flood of second-half points will be highlighted as a must-fix by coach John Morris. It didn’t look serious, so fingers crossed scans prove little concern, but the sight of high-profile Bulldogs recruit Nick Cotric on the sideline with his ankle wrapped in ice, is far from ideal. Cotric left the field after a strong 60-minute club debut. He provided - as he was recruited to do - serious potency for Canterbury coming out of the back field with several strong carries.

Casualty Ward:

SHARKS: Josh Dugan (ankle - round 1), Nene McDonald (calf - scans required)

BULLDOGS: Nick Cotric (foot - round 1)

Verdict: A solid hitout for both sides with the Sharks proving they’re far from a lost cause without Shaun Johnson. They were also without Siosifa Talakai (foot), Royce Hunt (leg), Aidan Tolman (hamstring) and Tony Rudolf (hamstring). For the Dogs, their new-era under coach Trent Barrett is off to a positive start. There was plenty to like about the influence of fresh recruits Flanagan, Corey Allen and Jack Hetherington and it was a good effort considering they were without Jake Averillo (elbow), Jeremy Marshall-King (foot), Dylan Napa (knee), Raymond Faitala-Mariner (ankle), Luke Thompson (suspended) and Jayden Okunbor (knee).

David Riccio