Gambling ads

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would estimate that I watch less than 10 hours of TV a week maximum. Usually a lot less. Seems like every second ad is a fucking gambling ad though. It drives me nuts seeing this much exposure to gambling. And half the ads are fucking annoying too.

I don't think it's a good thing that impressionable kids are exposed to it. While some of the ads have adult humour, I think many are targeting adolescents and possibly trying to condition kids to the idea that gambling is a good thing.

Anyone with kids noticing that they're paying more attention to these ads than you like as a parent? I remember some time ago that the NRL coverage banned the odds being included in the official coverage because kids were starting to quote odds and parents complaints had an impact. But that rule has long since been rescinded. Even if it got banned from the NRL again (highly unlikely) it's still prevalent in general in advertising.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I would estimate that I watch less than 10 hours of TV a week maximum. Usually a lot less. Seems like every second ad is a fucking gambling ad though. It drives me nuts seeing this much exposure to gambling. And half the ads are fucking annoying too.

I don't think it's a good thing that impressionable kids are exposed to it. While some of the ads have adult humour, I think many are targeting adolescents and possibly trying to condition kids to the idea that gambling is a good thing.

Anyone with kids noticing that they're paying more attention to these ads than you like as a parent? I remember some time ago that the NRL coverage banned the odds being included in the official coverage because kids were starting to quote odds and parents complaints had an impact. But that rule has long since been rescinded. Even if it got banned from the NRL again (highly unlikely) it's still prevalent in general in advertising.
Funny, i was just thinking this this morning driving one of my kids to childcare on my way to the office. in the 2 minutes i was in the car, i heard 2 gambling ads on the radio.

I'd rather see gambling legal, regulated and taxed as opposed to operating underground, but there really needs to be better regulation and restriction on its promotion, like we do with, say, pokies. I do probably pay more attention to it as a parent - kids are going to grow up thinking gambling odds are more important than who is actually winning, or how their favourite player is going. I also had to sack someone recently who had a gambling problem, which was affecting his work in a number of ways.

Commentators shouldn't be doing crossed to people like Joel Caine promoting the TAB or whoever during halftime. That shit is fucked up.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Firmly against it. Seen so many of our son's friends worse off and a couple have lost everything.

The ads are so blatant and invasive and cunningly target those they can exploit.

Of course not everyone ends up destitute and has lost their wife and kids bc of gambling and its ok if you can handle it but it is out of control in it's blatant promotion now IMO and yes skewing kids, and adults towards it as a normal pastime without any down side (except for the small print or after thought: gamble responsibly).

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I come across plenty of people who struggle with addiction to gambling. Lives destroyed, but all of them originally felt that they wouldn't be "that person" who couldn't handle a punt.
once we had parted ways with our troubled employee and started reflecting, we should have seen the warning signs and the classic addict behavior. You are right about any addict, whether it be drugs, gambling, booze, whatever. You don't start out that way.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I come across plenty of people who struggle with addiction to gambling. Lives destroyed, but all of them originally felt that they wouldn't be "that person" who couldn't handle a punt.
Probably only going to get worse with loot boxes in games and kids already addicted to them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Its basic the same neurochemistry in action...
You know what they did with this version of FIFA? They gave out FIFA points so you can buy your own packs and get you hooked. Wonder how many kids have stoles their parent credit cards to buy more haha

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The gambling ads drive me insane. I thought they were going to be cracked down on, but they seem more prevalent than ever. I'm not a wowser by any means and happy for people to do as much gambling as they like. But, the endless advertising leaves a lingering suspicion of contrived results, and tainted sports.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's disgraceful. But it's not just Australia. Look at how many UK and European football teams are sponsored by betting agencies and the amount of advertising they do.

Plus now that gambling has been fully legalised in all states in the US, every NFL game on American TV has 3-4 betting agency ads with different celebrities in them. They even have the line and odds in the coverage which they never used to do and talk about gambling way more in general.

It's always been a huge problem but it's gotten completely out of control now as you can't escape it even if you try. It's everywhere. It needs to be heavily regulated but it won't be because of the money everyone makes from it no matter how destructive it is .

Last edited:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares. There’s an element of risk in just about everything we do in life. What we eat, what we drink, how we invest our money, how we conduct ourselves in various situations, how we drive our cars etc etc.

Everyone need to hold themselves accountable for their own decision making. If you see a couple of Sportsbet ads on TV and then make a decision to tip your entire pay cheque or savings into betting then you are a moron and deserve to be punished. Just like if you see a few ads promoting alcohol and you decide you’re gonna spend all your cash on grog and drink yourself to death then you’re a moron and you’ll pay the price with your health and finances.

Everyone knows the risks of these things and the companies even outline them in their advertising. Everyone I know manage to have a beer and a punt while watching sport without ruining their life. Let’s stop blaming advertising for the few who consciously make foolish personal choices.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who cares. There’s an element of risk in just about everything we do in life. What we eat, what we drink, how we invest our money, how we conduct ourselves in various situations, how we drive our cars etc etc.

Everyone need to hold themselves accountable for their own decision making. If you see a couple of Sportsbet ads on TV and then make a decision to tip your entire pay cheque or savings into betting then you are a moron and deserve to be punished. Just like if you see a few ads promoting alcohol and you decide you’re gonna spend all your cash on grog and drink yourself to death then you’re a moron and you’ll pay the price with your health and finances.

Everyone knows the risks of these things and the companies even outline them in their advertising. Everyone I know manage to have a beer and a punt while watching sport without ruining their life. Let’s stop blaming advertising for the few who consciously make foolish personal choices.
It's more about how it dominates every ad break now and how it influences young kids. If they constantly have betting odds and ads shoved in their face, then they're much more likely to develop unhealthy gambling habits from a young age as they're desensitised to it.. Like Marley said, it's even in video games now.

Obviously people should be held responsible for their own actions, but the betting agencies should also be held accountable and should be regulated the same way tobacco companies were. I'd argue that despite the obvious health risks of smoking, the impact on families and the destruction gambling can cause can be far worse at times.

All people are saying is to limit how much they can advertise and at what times. And get betting discussions out of sporting broadcasts. That's not too much to ask.