Gambling ads

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
like Wahlberg but those adds are the pits.....
Would’ve loved to have been in the room when that decision was made. Not unlike choosing Engelbert Humperdinck as your stage name :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with the accountability argument.
So tired of the ‘blame’ society we live in.

There has always and will always be some people who unfortunately get addicted and create bigger problems. I doubt that number will ever be zero. Will banning/reducing gambling ads play a part? Maybe, but there’s still a hell of a lot of smokers despite being pretty much confined to their homes to do so and 25 years of no tobacco advertising.

What happened to people owning their decisions and choices? The victim, blame and litigious society we’ve become is almost as insufferable.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

There has always and will always be some people who unfortunately get addicted and create bigger problems. I doubt that number will ever be zero. Will banning/reducing gambling ads play a part? Maybe, but there’s still a hell of a lot of smokers despite being pretty much confined to their homes to do so and 25 years of no tobacco advertising.

What happened to people owning their decisions and choices? The victim, blame and litigious society we’ve become is almost as insufferable.
Everyone is the victim and it's always somebody else's fault.

This is the bitch times we live in.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I don't think one person has said people aren't accountable for their actions. But people shouldn't be bombarded with ads of any one type of industry, especially one as potentially destructive as gambling.

Otherwise why stop there and why not put the gambling ads on during kids programming while they're at it if it's so harmless?

You're right that people will gamble regardless. Which is kind of the point.. Betting agencies will still make a fortune without them taking over all of media advertising..

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rates of smoking have declined, fact. See the chart on this page (click). Yes there will always be smokers, so long as there is tobacco, however rates of smoking were increased for a number of factors that are outside of the individual, including the deceit of tobacco companies, the peer pressure partly informed by the way smoking was advertised (go back and have a look at the old ads if you've forgotten), and the lack of education within society as to exactly how serious the consequences of smoking is.

Since those things have changed, smoking rates have decreased a lot. People who smoke today do so without the pressure of ads that promote smoking, in a context in which tobacco companies are rightly framed as less than upstanding participants in society, and in which there is plenty of education about the consequences.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Subscribe. No ads.
Money not spent on booze or gambling :-).
Only issue there is that it cuts out the payment for content producers if there aren't ads being screened.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
this is the most boring thread fuk me, has anyone got a tip for the trots tonight?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love Wahlberg anyone bagging him because he isn't a "classic actor" is just jealous as fuck, he is fucking great lol

His Ads are not as good as Shaq's i concede.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
this is the most boring thread fuk me, has anyone got a tip for the trots tonight?
fuckall trots on today mate.

Couple for Northam gallops(WA)later, a speculator Box trifecta on R8 7,10,11/S1 8/S2 3,6 and the other one a favourite Buzzoom wins Race 9.

For what it's worth I am in form and tipped a $26 winner(i boosted up to $31)in the last race at Kalgoorlie yesty it;s name King's Authority.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Only issue there is that it cuts out the payment for content producers if there aren't ads being screened.
Google also pay part of the subscription revenue to content creators so they don’t get short changed. I’m guessing free users vastly outnumber paid users on YouTube so it doesn’t cost much to keep them happy.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Rates of smoking have declined, fact. See the chart on this page (click). Yes there will always be smokers, so long as there is tobacco, however rates of smoking were increased for a number of factors that are outside of the individual, including the deceit of tobacco companies, the peer pressure partly informed by the way smoking was advertised (go back and have a look at the old ads if you've forgotten), and the lack of education within society as to exactly how serious the consequences of smoking is.

Since those things have changed, smoking rates have decreased a lot. People who smoke today do so without the pressure of ads that promote smoking, in a context in which tobacco companies are rightly framed as less than upstanding participants in society, and in which there is plenty of education about the consequences.
Sure they’ve declined - but that’s also to do with social change - same with booze. I have family members all turned 18 in the last two years and none of them drink yet there’s still booze ads everywhere including on the screen in the Grand Final. Younger people today are into many different things like coffee gatherings and Netflix to cite a choice of drink and ways to spend their social time - things that either weren’t available or weren’t as ‘cool’ in days gone by.

I don’t think it’s all one way traffic and wasn’t suggesting so, but people need to own their choices and stop blaming when bad choices go pear shaped.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure they’ve declined - but that’s also to do with social change - same with booze. I have family members all turned 18 in the last two years and none of them drink yet there’s still booze ads everywhere including on the screen in the Grand Final. Younger people today are into many different things like coffee gatherings and Netflix to cite a choice of drink and ways to spend their social time - things that either weren’t available or weren’t as ‘cool’ in days gone by.

I don’t think it’s all one way traffic and wasn’t suggesting so, but people need to own their choices and stop blaming when bad choices go pear shaped.
The new generation are the Instagram/Tiktok generation. They're all displaying themselves on social media so they're all concerned about looking perfect. They don't want to risk the image.

Kids these days just want to go to the gym and shred like Gladys while leaving office.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Otherwise why stop there and why not put the gambling ads on during kids programming while they're at it if it's so harmless?
Because gambling is for 18+ only and that would be a violation of the AANA code and hence won’t happen:

3F8197A7-200D-4D98-9A74-34BA85BB5A23.jpeg

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because gambling is for 18+ only and that would be a violation of the AANA code and hence won’t happen:

View attachment 31160
I was being facetious obviously... But plenty of kids watch the footy and TV on the other channels where all of the ads are on repeatedly. That's part of the problem..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was being facetious obviously... But plenty of kids watch the footy and TV on the other channels where all of the ads are on repeatedly. That's part of the problem..
And they all comply to the code.
Complaints can be made to the Ad Standards: