Gallen reveals his preferred candidate for 5/8th is Josh Reynolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In a wide-ranging chat with a view to the upcoming series, Gallen identified Daniel Tupou and Tim Grant as possible bolters for the NSW squad and revealed his preferred candidate for the five-eighth role was Josh Reynolds.
“Josh Reynolds had a period (in City-Country) for about 10 or 15 minutes where he just absolutely ripped in and showed why, I believe, he could be the five-eighth,” Gallen said.
“You know what you’re going to get with Reynolds. He might make a mistake or two but you know he’s going to go flat out for 80 minutes and that’s what I like about him.”

Gallen said he viewed Reynolds as a stronger candidate than his Country opponent Jarrod Mullen due to a cloud over Mullen’s fitness and “inconsistency” in the knights star’s game.
“Jarrod Mullen is one of those players who just plays so good and then the next week he’s not at that level,” Gallen said.
“I just think he’s got a bit of inconsistency about him still.
“I haven’t done a hamstring, I don’t have the speed of some of these guys.

“Todd Carney’s one at our club who’s had his problems with it and you do notice that if they have to run absolutely 100 per cent flat out, there’s something in the back of their mind where they’re not completely confident with it.
“I think that’s still in Mullen’s mind - he did tear it off the bone in the pre-season and he’s only been back for a couple of weeks.”
Read more: http://www.sportsfan.com.au/gutted-...es-gallen/tabid/91/newsid/130479/default.aspx

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's funny on the weekend he said he preferred Sutton or Mullen on triple M ?? I never knew steroids made a person retarded to?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny on the weekend he said he preferred Sutton or Mullen on triple M ?? I never knew steroids made a person retarded to?

Nah he did say that he liked Josh Reynolds. Said he lacked the finesse of the other guys but is all enthusiasm.

I actually dont think he should be commenting on this. Can you imagine the team dynamic if Mullen gets chosen? I used to respect Gallen cause he always spoke his mind, but it appears he doesn't think about he says etc.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Imagine if Josh is picked as starting pivot and NSW win the series.

Can you imagine how will play for us after that?

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score

Would be great to be honest. But when Laurie Daley has any sort of influence on the selection of the team I wouldn't be surprised if Joshy was left out.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder what happens if Mullen is picked - pretty awkward knowing the captain thinks you're inconsistent. The guy obviously didn't learn anything from talking during the Fifita situation

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Josh will go great at origin if he has an organizational half back beside him like A Reynolds or hodko. Unfortunately I think M Pierce is not gonna help Joshs game. And it seems only the 5/8 in the blues side gets the blame pierce always walks away to live another day, he is the coaches pet

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Carney and J Reynolds should still be in the mix, so should Soward who tries too hard sometimes but deserves some consideration.
If it was me it would be Josh and Carney this year, Pearce is good but aint firing.

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They will probably pick both Mullen at five-eight and Reynolds on the bench.
Josh will cover Farah and Mullen.
Not that I want Mullen in the side him and Pierce are very similar players it won't work, its either 1 or the other!!

B

BoonReturns

Josh will go great at origin if he has an organizational half back beside him like A Reynolds or hodko. Unfortunately I think M Pierce is not gonna help Joshs game. And it seems only the 5/8 in the blues side gets the blame pierce always walks away to live another day, he is the coaches pet

Pearce controls a team as well as Hodko or A Reynolds. Problem is that they can only do that when they have the forwards to allow them to do it.

What wins team games is the forwards making meters up the middle and being solid in defence. It helps to have a long kicking game and a fullback with speed and presence of mind to catch the ball on the full and make quick meters on the first tackle.

Pearce unfortunately is the best option. Hodko or A.Reynolds would be next in line. But Pearce has the better kicking game. So he will get the nod. Josh will play his best footy next to Pearce if the forwards do their job.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm guessing Josh will be on the bench to cover for Farah if needed.

But he deserves the #6 jersey.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm guessing Josh will be on the bench to cover for Farah if needed.

But he deserves the #6 jersey.
Oops didn't see 2nd phase play's post.

Great minds.....

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Does Paul Gallen give his team a pep talk before they head onto the field for origin?

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pearce controls a team as well as Hodko or A Reynolds. Problem is that they can only do that when they have the forwards to allow them to do it.

What wins team games is the forwards making meters up the middle and being solid in defence. It helps to have a long kicking game and a fullback with speed and presence of mind to catch the ball on the full and make quick meters on the first tackle.

Pearce unfortunately is the best option. Hodko or A.Reynolds would be next in line. But Pearce has the better kicking game. So he will get the nod. Josh will play his best footy next to Pearce if the forwards do their job.
LOL no he doesn't.

I'll tell you something about the Roosters. Maloney is easily the halfback of that side; he just wears number 6 'cause Pearce likes his 7. Pearce plays more like the 5/8; frantic, quick and linking with outside players. Maloney has the controlled kicking game and composure.

I'd personally go for Mullen AND Josh Reynolds. Mullen again, easily the dominant half for the Knights(like a halfback) and reynolds could play that running game.

Pearce is rubbish. If NSW win, it wont be because of him. I guarantee it.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

What would happen if nsw get flogged? Would be amazing if he won it but its going to be tough with 2 games up in qld this year

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's just up to Josh to play consistently well now and hope that he has done enough to earn selection. If he is selected at 5/8 or on the bench it has to be a boost to the confidence.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL no he doesn't.

I'll tell you something about the Roosters. Maloney is easily the halfback of that side; he just wears number 6 'cause Pearce likes his 7. Pearce plays more like the 5/8; frantic, quick and linking with outside players. Maloney has the controlled kicking game and composure.

I'd personally go for Mullen AND Josh Reynolds. Mullen again, easily the dominant half for the Knights(like a halfback) and reynolds could play that running game.

I couldn't agree anymore!

Croc

Kennel Established
Reaction score
LOL no he doesn't.

I agree that if we win it wont be because of pearce. But can u imagine the farking media. Pearce our saviour!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
What would happen if nsw get flogged? Would be amazing if he won it but its going to be tough with 2 games up in qld this year
I think either way we will benefit.

1: We win, he is pumped as and kills it for us
2: We lose, he is devastated for a while and takes out his anger playing for us
3: He doesn't even get picked -- and we know how that went last year. I still remember when he put up a bomb and bolted like a bat out of hell and took out the catcher single handedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.